Small bug with firms/for sale option

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
BioBiro
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Small bug with firms/for sale option

Post by BioBiro »

Hello! Thanks for all the great work you continue to do on this game.

One small thing I saw today while playing post-release beta 2.6.12:

I've got these neat buttons in the 'Firms' tab, which I can use to turn the sale-status true/false. I assume they're supposed to take two clicks (i.e. a double-click) to change their status (to prevent mis-clicks?). But, I don't think you're supposed to be able to put your Headquarters up for sale? After all, when you go to your Headquarters, there's no option in there to put it up for sale.

Before putting my Headquarters up for sale:

Afterwards:

Sure enough, some unscrupulous character has placed a 'for sale' sign in front of it:

Also, I didn't realise you were serious about that expansion pack stuff, and that you're really going to develop and release it (them?). After seeing some of the in-dev screenshots, my considered response is: TAKE MY HONEY, TAKE MY MONEY, TAKE IT ALL, * empties wallet and throws it at screen *.
This user will not complain about the UI until 9th July 2020.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Small bug with firms/for sale option

Post by David »

This bug will be fixed in the next patch.

Glad to know that you like what we have been developing for the City Simulation pack.
BioBiro
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by BioBiro »

Great job! ;)

Couple of (less important) other things that have been on my mind for a while about this game:

How do I stop funding civic buildings and sports facilities? I built an elementary school to make a fast buck out of the real estate industry, and now that my firm's making a loss, I don't want those blasted school kids getting a free education on my dollar.

Ignore --> Also, it always seemed odd to me how the player 'Start-up Capital' and 'Competitor Start-up Capital' are not aligned. When the former is 'Very High' I get $100 mil, but the same setting for the AI gives them $400-700 mil each! I can't turn their starting capital down to match mine (i.e. the AI medium start-up capital setting), because then I won't get the tech companies and real estate gameplay from the AI, which I really enjoy. So, I guess the only thing to do is give the player more start-up capital?

Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick on this, but I never really understood why the start-up capital for the player and AI are out-of-sync.
Last edited by BioBiro on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

BioBiro wrote:Great job! ;)

Couple of (less important) other things that have been on my mind for a while about this game:

How do I stop funding civic buildings and sports facilities? I built an elementary school to make a fast buck out of the real estate industry, and now that my firm's making a loss, I don't want those blasted school kids getting a free education on my dollar.

Also, it always seemed odd to me how the player 'Start-up Capital' and 'Competitor Start-up Capital' are not aligned. When the former is 'Very High' I get $100 mil, but the same setting for the AI gives them $400-700 mil each! I can't turn their starting capital down to match mine (i.e. the AI medium start-up capital setting), because then I won't get the tech companies and real estate gameplay from the AI, which I really enjoy. So, I guess the only thing to do is give the player more start-up capital?

Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick on this, but I never really understood why the start-up capital for the player and AI are out-of-sync.
Actually AI's normal start-up capital does match player's start-up capital level. Just AI dilutes its share from the very beginning to gain more cash for its corporation. Also since AI's personal starting cash has a range and different preference in how many % of shares it likes to hold on to, converting to stock share result in differences in the AI corporations' initial cash. If you wish to expand extremely quick, and do not afraid losing 50% of your corporation's shares to other AIs later, you can mimic this strategy yourself as well.
Last edited by counting on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
BioBiro
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by BioBiro »

counting wrote:Actually AI's normal start-up capital does matching player's start-up capital level. Just AI dilutes its share from the very beginning to gain more cash. Also since AI's personal starting cash has a range and different preference in how many % of shares it likes to hold on to, converting to stock share result in differences in the AI corporations' initial cash. If you wish to expand extremely quick, and do not afraid losing 50% of your corporation's shares to other AIs later, you can mimic this strategy yourself as well.
Ah, yes, this is a good point. As you correctly say, the AI has so many more shares issued at the start of a game, with a much greater market cap and far fewer shares held by the CEO of each AI company.

When you put it that way, it doesn't seem so bad. Start with 'Very high' start-up capital, do an IPO, and you're looking 150mil. Set the AI to 'High' start-up capital, they'll still play as tech and real estate companies, and some of them actually start with the same amount (150mil)!
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Although from a game balancing and difficulty level stand point of view, an additional option for AI's capital management aggressiveness could be added as game setting options. The less aggressive (more conservative) it will focus less capital management game with slow capital build up from other area, and less financial leverage, taking less risk in capital structure, or less likely to have lower % of shares, etc. Current AI aggressiveness has certain effect I believe, but not very specific.
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls