Location?

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
Diche_Bach
Level 2 user

Location?

Post by Diche_Bach »

I have a few questions about the importance of location in the game:

1. Headquarters: does location have any bearing on the merit an HQ will have for the company? I've got a scenario I made for myself (which I'll eventually upload, I want to see if I can beat it first) where player starts with about $10 million and has no HQ at start. So now that I'm in the ~$10 million annual operating profit, I'm starting to think about an HQ but honestly not sure where I should put it?

2. R&D: Is it true that an R&D is best put into a low-cost city, instead of being best to put it in a high-cost city close to a University?

3. Traffic for retail: how does this actually work (math wise?) does the app use that value to determine how often it determines whether a transaction occurred, or how often the chance for a transaction occurs (with the determination of whether it actually occurred then depending entirely on other factors NOT location)? In sum my question is: do high traffic locations cause transactions to occur more frequently, or do they cause "checks" for whether a transaction occurred to occur more frequently?

The more I play the game, the more I think it would really benefit A LOT from a "Labor Dynamics" DLC. Something remotely similar to Victoria by Paradox might be about right.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Location?

Post by David »

The more I play the game, the more I think it would really benefit A LOT from a "Labor Dynamics" DLC. Something remotely similar to Victoria by Paradox might be about right.
You may want to take a look at the new talent system that we have been working on for the Digital Age DLC:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/talent-system.html

It is an improvement over the current labor system.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

I'll answer the obvious questions
Diche_Bach wrote:I have a few questions about the importance of location in the game:

1. Headquarters: does location have any bearing on the merit an HQ will have for the company? I've got a scenario I made for myself (which I'll eventually upload, I want to see if I can beat it first) where player starts with about $10 million and has no HQ at start. So now that I'm in the ~$10 million annual operating profit, I'm starting to think about an HQ but honestly not sure where I should put it?
Not really, set up HQ in different city and different locations, only affects the setup cost (RWR of the city, and the location's land price). The running costs in HQ are all global. However, HQ has some kind of "traffic boost", and land price boost around it, so in a sense its location has some effects on its surrounding.
2. R&D: Is it true that an R&D is best put into a low-cost city, instead of being best to put it in a high-cost city close to a University?
It's mostly true if we are talking about the base game. In lower RWR city the setup and running costs are both cheaper. However with CES DLC, even though still cheaper to run in lower RWR city, but R&D is faster (higher increments within the same amount of time) in city with higher specialization of the product class when a R&D is researching that type of products. The distance to University has no effect as far as I know.
3. Traffic for retail: how does this actually work (math wise?) does the app use that value to determine how often it determines whether a transaction occurred, or how often the chance for a transaction occurs (with the determination of whether it actually occurred then depending entirely on other factors NOT location)? In sum my question is: do high traffic locations cause transactions to occur more frequently, or do they cause "checks" for whether a transaction occurred to occur more frequently?
I think higher traffic index has competitive advantage when there are more than one retail selling the same product. Higher traffic index store will have more customers even if two stores are selling completely identical product. (it makes sense, more customers passing by higher traffic area). Hence in practice you will find your own stores compete with each other for sells if your combined retail capacity excesses the total demand of the city, the sells in each store somewhat split according to traffic index portion (not linearly though as far as I can tell)

And I think the absolute value of traffic index matters as well, it acts like certain percent of the population has a chance to pass by that store. So in the game, it feels like the time to "grow" from 0% to certain market share percent is shorter for higher traffic index score store. (but I don't think the number is actually represent percentage of chance, but some kind of customer increase increment factor). And the exact location is not important, there's no coverage for retail store as far as I know, only traffic index matters.

These are only from my own experience though, there might be other effects I don't know about.
Last edited by eleaza on Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me

Post by Guest »

Thanks folks! Will have a look at that talent thing David. Helpful info Eleaza.

Sounds like traffic is more realistic than I thought.
Diche_Bach
Level 2 user

Post by Diche_Bach »

Guest wrote:Thanks folks! Will have a look at that talent thing David. Helpful info Eleaza.

This website is a bit weird. Somehow between logging in, reading your replies and typing my reply, I got logged out and wound up posting as a Guest! :?
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Diche_Bach wrote:
Guest wrote:Thanks folks! Will have a look at that talent thing David. Helpful info Eleaza.

This website is a bit weird. Somehow between logging in, reading your replies and typing my reply, I got logged out and wound up posting as a Guest! :?
There is a "Log me on automatically each visit" option in the login page.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
Diche_Bach
Level 2 user

Post by Diche_Bach »

eleaza wrote:
Diche_Bach wrote:

There is a "Log me on automatically each visit" option in the login page.
Yeah, I thought I had that ticked, but maybe not. Seem to stay logged in now.