UI feature request and maybe a related bug

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
Waring_Hudsucker
Level 2 user

UI feature request and maybe a related bug

Post by Waring_Hudsucker »

Beta 4.4.03
This is kind of both a feature request and what I would view as a bug.
Game save file is attached.

Feature request:
When researching a product using the Product Details screen to I would find it quite useful to have an “All Cities” selection available just as it is on the Products screen. This would be a quick way of knowing if it is worth the time to click on each individual city to scope out the availability or competition. Currently when you click on the Product Details screen by default the city selected in the drop-down box is the current city. In my opinion the current city should remain the default selection even if All Cities is added.

Bug?:
I don’t know if this is an oversight or intentional. In this case in particular I was researching the Leather Bag. Cycling through the cities on the Product Details screen it is only shown as available as Import (same as Seaports I presume). However, when I go to select a supplier for my retail store in Winnipeg it also appears my competitor Wind Speed is in the Leather Bag business (and I found is also manufacturing). It seems to me this should also show in the Product Details screen.
SelectSupplier.png
SelectSupplier.png (1005.96 KiB) Viewed 766 times
Montreal.png
Montreal.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 766 times
Winnipeg.png
Winnipeg.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 766 times
Bogata.png
Bogata.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 766 times
Beijing.png
Beijing.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 766 times
Attachments
MUSS_001.7z
(933.64 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
"Do you mean to say any slob in a smelly tee-shirt will be able to buy Hudsucker stock?"
-Sidney J. Mussburger from The Hudsucker Proxy
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: UI feature request and maybe a related bug

Post by eleaza »

Currently the Product Details screen only shows those in retail store sales, not wholesale (selling from the factory, warehouse, etc).

I don't think there's any way to show all the wholesale firms in one nice easy list with. I think there's a way to filter if there's a product type in wholesale with the "Product" tab, using "has retail sales", or "has trade sales" (wholesale) to filter (but you have to select particular corporation to get the right filtering result). Maybe an adaptive version of it in Product Detail screen?

Also, if the all cities are shown, won't the list become very confused, a lot of stores from different cities mixed in one super long list.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
Waring_Hudsucker
Level 2 user

eleaza wrote:Currently the Product Details screen only shows those in retail store sales, not wholesale (selling from the factory, warehouse, etc).

Also, if the all cities are shown, won't the list become very confused, a lot of stores from different cities mixed in one super long list.
Oops. I missed that the Product Details screen only shows retail store sales, and in that case I agree that listing all cities would not be a help. I was thinking I could see a list of producers there. And I see you can find trade sales on the Product screen as well as the Select Supplier screen.

So to whom it may concern I withdraw my feature suggestion.
"Do you mean to say any slob in a smelly tee-shirt will be able to buy Hudsucker stock?"
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Waring_Hudsucker wrote:
eleaza wrote:Currently the Product Details screen only shows those in retail store sales, not wholesale (selling from the factory, warehouse, etc).

Oops. I missed that the Product Details screen only shows retail store sales, and in that case I agree that listing all cities would not be a help. I was thinking I could see a list of producers there. And I see you can find trade sales on the Product screen as well as the Select Supplier screen.

So to whom it may concern I withdraw my feature suggestion.
Well, it might still help a lot if it's adding similar "trade sale" and "retail sale" filter in the "Product Details" screen. And under "trade sale" filter, instead of listing all the stores with that product, the factories/warehouses have that product for wholesale are listed.

This way we don't have to switch back and forth in Product filter screen and the filter in the main game map to find these wholesale firms. Making market survey much easier and faster.
Waring_Hudsucker
Level 2 user

Eleaza, I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Thanks for the input. However, I fear the developers will soon decide I am too picky about the UI. I am very grateful that they implemented my earlier suggestion:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =14&t=4014

As a rather new player of the game I feel my UI observations may bring a fresh perspective. More experienced players, already knowing their way around the UI, apparently just shrug their shoulders and use the tools as provided.

I just feel that sometimes there are cumbersome or tedious aspects of the UI that tend to get in the way of enjoying the game. And my intentions are not to be overly critical but to point out these observations to the developers. Whether or not they agree and act on them is, of course, entirely up to them.

Furthermore, I figured NOW IS THE TIME to point out these things as I notice them because the development team is actively revisiting this game to expand and improve it.
eleaza wrote: Well, it might still help a lot if it's adding similar "trade sale" and "retail sale" filter in the "Product Details" screen. And under "trade sale" filter, instead of listing all the stores with that product, the factories/warehouses have that product for wholesale are listed.

This way we don't have to switch back and forth in Product filter screen and the filter in the main game map to find these wholesale firms. Making market survey much easier and faster.
Anyway, with a partner in in this now, I again suggest an “All Cities” selection would be useful IF COMBINED with your suggestion of a "trade sale" filter. The "trade sale" filter, instead of listing all the stores with that product, would list the factories/warehouses that have product available for wholesale.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

A lot of players just get by with what UI they've found and deal with it. Some of them certainly weren't design for tasks like market survey or to show integrated information in a single page. I wholly agree that some UIs improvement will make gameplay much easier as well as more informative and less difficult for new players to find what they are looking for (preferably reduce the amount of mouse clicking required, my wrist is probably one of the top reason why I couldn't play more and speed up the "management phase of the game")
meRlinX_AT
Level 3 user

Post by meRlinX_AT »

eleaza wrote:A lot of players just get by with what UI they've found and deal with it. Some of them certainly weren't design for tasks like market survey or to show integrated information in a single page. I wholly agree that some UIs improvement will make gameplay much easier as well as more informative and less difficult for new players to find what they are looking for (preferably reduce the amount of mouse clicking required, my wrist is probably one of the top reason why I couldn't play more and speed up the "management phase of the game")
+1
Win 7 Pro / Cap Lab 4.4.19 + Sub DLC

* I'm not an native English speaker - maybe some phrases or words are not the "yellow from the egg".