4.4.04 Issues

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: 4.4.04 Issues

Post by eleaza »

megapolis wrote: I partially agree with you. On one hand I agree that since the game is single player only, using of such mechanics can be left up to player. On the other hand I ask for a regulation, not for a removal of a feature. One government building removal per month is a light restriction. I don't know if there is a natural gameplay situation that will need mass removal of government owned apartments or commercial buildings.
On the flip coin side of this issue, some players may not try to exploit the loophole, but instead want to make a city more aesthetically pleasing. In that case, the ability to destroy a ill-placed apartments or commercial buildings is quite necessary, since AI mayors and the default city generation may not put them in the "right place". So perhaps we should allow the "reallocation" function applied to the government owned apartments and commercial buildings instead of limiting the ability to destroy them.
megapolis wrote:
David wrote: That's why I keep thinking that the Financial DLC's potentially large number of exploits will indeed be a problem, though some users did comment that exploits are only a problem if the player wants to take advantage of them.
Totally agree here. There's no natural demand for money in the game because on one hand amount of opportunities to invest them into the city economy is restricted and on the other hand injection of money from external sources can provoke hyperinflation even in current setting (Eleaza's 19 Universities).
This is a very interesting question indeed. Currently the investment in science research from government is a little on the ridiculous side, at least in the gameplay stand point. Putting 21 universities in every single city each with a different product class specialization is a bit crazy. When do we ever see a city has 21 universities where it only has like 10 high schools. This will be even more ridiculous when we are talking about near a hundred product classes like in RealWorld Mod. I really think a university should be able to focus more than just one product class (maybe up to dozens or diminishing return where it covers more classes), or we should allow for private small research center or specialized "research university" separated from the educational purpose collages, and make research facilities for product class competitiveness much smaller than the education collages.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Currently the investment in science research from government is a little on the ridiculous side, at least in the gameplay stand point.
This has been improved in the latest version already.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:
Currently the investment in science research from government is a little on the ridiculous side, at least in the gameplay stand point.
The research expenses may be, but building way too many universities is not. It's a bit crazy for a city to have so many universities, and each one can only research one product class. I still feel the separation of research and education type "universities" is a good idea.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Right now the effect of university research is quite powerful. If a university is allowed to have multiple research projects, it will affect the gameplay balance.
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

eleaza wrote:
David wrote:
The research expenses may be, but building way too many universities is not. It's a bit crazy for a city to have so many universities, and each one can only research one product class. I still feel the separation of research and education type "universities" is a good idea.
To be honest I don't know why do you need these 21 universities. In my tests I needed 2 universities per city to have significant growth and 3 universities are enough to grow cities population by more than 100k/year. In my opinion, 2.5 universities per city is more than enough. More than 3 universities is an overkill.

I am not a citybuilder, I just see that with 2 universities I already have 2% unemployment and constant population growth. More universities = more export =more inflation
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

megapolis wrote: To be honest I don't know why do you need these 21 universities. In my tests I needed 2 universities per city to have significant growth and 3 universities are enough to grow cities population by more than 100k/year. In my opinion, 2.5 universities per city is more than enough. More than 3 universities is an overkill.

I am not a citybuilder, I just see that with 2 universities I already have 2% unemployment and constant population growth. More universities = more export =more inflation
Hmm, this is interesting maybe the new balance in current patch makes spamming universities less desirable or has diminishing return over certain amount perhaps? It used to be somewhat linear and if I want to build a central mega city that grows super fast I have to make the unemployment gone completely with massive job openings, and with highest competitiveness in every class, one university for each class. As for the inflation, if there are multiple cities and only one mega city has the superfast GDP growth it is not be a problem for me.

I'll try and see in the latest patch whether it has no huge difference in a city with all classes have high competitiveness and only a few.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:Right now the effect of university research is quite powerful. If a university is allowed to have multiple research projects, it will affect the gameplay balance.
I'll try the new balance in the latest patch and see if how it affects the boost. As to one universities with many projects, I think a diminishing return of many product classes can make it viable. Like 1 project 3m per month, 2 projects 8m, 3 projects 18m, 4 projects 40m, etc. and at certain point it will be a balance between many projects in one university vs spread out in different universities. And this will kill two birds in one stone, make investment in super high cash reserve cities burn through stash faster, and make AI running cities has the possibility of building a highly competitiveness city similar to human player city.

The other solution is the separation of research project in a much smaller (like 2x2 in size) research collages/facilities for competitiveness and let universities only serve the education function. (but this solution in current balance is less ideal perhaps)
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

eleaza wrote:
David wrote:Right now the effect of university research is quite powerful. If a university is allowed to have multiple research projects, it will affect the gameplay balance.
I'll try the new balance in the latest patch and see if how it affects the boost. As to one universities with many projects, I think a diminishing return of many product classes can make it viable. Like 1 project 3m per month, 2 projects 8m, 3 projects 18m, 4 projects 40m, etc. and at certain point it will be a balance between many projects in one university vs spread out in different universities. And this will kill two birds in one stone, make investment in super high cash reserve cities burn through stash faster, and make AI running cities has the possibility of building a highly competitiveness city similar to human player city.

The other solution is the separation of research project in a much smaller (like 2x2 in size) research collages/facilities for competitiveness and let universities only serve the education function. (but this solution in current balance is less ideal perhaps)
I am afraid that your idea is kind of cosmetic, not gameplay driven. Universities are already overpowered and current interface is ok. In my games I check my universities once a year and just change research field once a year to a new product class if current class is above 75%.