tv station was $2B :roll:
bought radio and newspaper instead for $400M
maxed content budget
two years later, bought tv station for $300M :lol:
counting
Level 8 user

Re: Huge Tracts of Land & Media Tip

Post by counting »

Real estate focused AI always does that (since the mechanics of specialized AI been introduced)

About the the media buyout strategy. Although you buy it cheap, but you've paid huge content-developing expenses of the old ones and still need to pay further lost of the newly purchased one into the future. I'm curious whether it balanced out or not.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
igpron

Post by igpron »

I don't yet understand enough about the media plan to know how to handle it.

I want to think that the three represent the totality of the media options to the city, but they don't add up to 100% of viewership.

If I own all three, I imagine that I could fully cut all funding for new content and max out prices and not suffer. Ads still have to be shown. I would, however, eventually have competition.

If I own all three, I imagine that I could max funding for new content and keep prices minimal and prevent anyone from trying to cut into my market while still making it effectively free for me to advertise.

If I own all three, I think that I should run funding at 67% and charge $4 CPM on TV, $3.50 on radio, and $3 on print, and still make millions and strongly discourage competition. I feel like the game designers would aim for that kind of function on the funding vs CPM vs competitive media.

Since I own all three but don't know how they work, I'm going with the middle option.

This is in Kansas city after a few years w/ all three:
It took a few years, but the TV station's now grossing $100M yearly and profiting me about $24M yearly, content is at 68.81 and rating's at 28.67% and the CPM is $3.0.
I knocked the radio budget to about 90%. It's making $88M/year, $38M/year profit, has a content of 74.80 w/ a rating of 39.34% and a CPM of $2.7. The advertising pie chart is fully allocated.
I knocked the newspaper budget to about 95%. It's making $36M/year, $2M/year profit, has a content of 74.75 w/ a rating of 37.90% and a CPM of $3.2. The advertising looks to be about a fifth or sixth (15-20%) of a full allocation.
I had this one and the radio few two years and profitable, but then I bought the TV station and all the advertisers transferred. I bumped up the CPM because I was trying to make it more profitable, but I don't think there's enough demand citywide to fully allocate all three advertisers.

I have a second monopoly in Johannesburg.
The TV stations is at about 90% budget. It's making $118M/year, $54M/year profit, has a content of 74.82 w/ a rating of 32.91% and a CPM of $4. The advertising is fully allocated.
The radio station's at about 90% budget. It's making $38M/year, $(10)M/year profit (that's a negative ten million), with a content of 70.39 and a rating of 28.54% and a CPM of $3.2. The advertising is fully allocated.
The newspaper budget is at 100%. It's making $35M/year, $1M/year profit, has a content of 60.26 and a market share of 23.58% and a CPM of $2.9. The advertising is just over 3/4's allocated.

Any suggestions would be awesome.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

IIRC, 3 type of media firms have separate % of viewership, each type has its own 100%. And one station alone has a max viewership (40% or 45% I don't remember, it's very difficult to reach). Thus in order to cover every customers in a city, usually need at least 9 stations, 3 of each types.

Also CPM doesn't have a absolute "price range", but relative to competitors (if you own them all, with no one else, you can max it out to 10 to all of them), however CPM does affect the cost effectiveness of marketing (depend on profit margin, passing a point, the extra profit gain can't even cover the advertisement cost, if you don't own that media)
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls