Products market size

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
gamebak
Level 2 user

Products market size

Post by gamebak »

Hello,

Do you have a list of top products to sell by market size?
I mean I'm struggling to go into product details every time and analyze which are the best products but that's kind of slow and I can't pick every product from there and look at the details.
I know that desktop computers and electronics related have a big market size, but what other products have something similar?
mrgarrettscott
Level 4 user

Re: Products market size

Post by mrgarrettscott »

Every product has a market in each city. The size of the market depends on different factors. Cities with larger populations obviously more people to buy your merchandise. Necessity index indicates how essential a product is overall. Product with a high necessity index will always have a market even when the economy is down. Cities with a high wage rate will spend more on expensive items with a low necessity index. You need to consider the concern of the product, e.g., price, quality, and brand. Cities have varying tolerances for each product. If a city really cares about quality, don't expect to dominate that city's market with a low quality product. Consider the competition in a market you are considering entering on a per city basis. If is easier to gain market share and make profits where little or no competition selling what you intend to sell.
gamebak
Level 2 user

Post by gamebak »

Yes, I understand that and it's normal, but i think it's more like a ratio between multiple factors. Still, the main factor is the starting market size.

For example, If I'll get into food on a farm I'll have a market size of $1 million while getting into camera/desktop I'll have $150 million market size. It's a very big gap and I wanted to know what great products I could sell without going thru all of the products.
mrgarrettscott
Level 4 user

Post by mrgarrettscott »

gamebak wrote:Yes, I understand that and it's normal, but i think it's more like a ratio between multiple factors. Still, the main factor is the starting market size.

For example, If I'll get into food on a farm I'll have a market size of $1 million while getting into camera/desktop I'll have $150 million market size. It's a very big gap and I wanted to know what great products I could sell without going thru all of the products.
I'm sure that I'm misunderstanding your question. For example, how did you determine the market size of a farm of to be $1 million food and $150 million for desktop computer/camera? Did you use price?

The good news is that even though my misunderstanding prevents me from providing a precise answer for you, I will note that you can sell any product and make many millions of dollars. With product research, farm training, real estate, that becomes many billions of dollars. One by one, you can compete in and eventually dominate each market segment.
Vlasta

Post by Vlasta »

I would subscribe under this question, perhaps a bit modified. I desperately miss more numbers in this game :-) Specifically there are pie charts showing the market share in production and retail for each product in a city, but you can't really assess the size of the market - i.e. "There are 7000 cars sold in this city annually, or 1500000 lbs of frozen beef, or whatever." That would really help with planning your production. (a tooltip would be enough)
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

Pretty sure in the product details screen you can see the demand for a certain product in a given city in terms of both revenue and quantity and those numbers change with macroeconomic conditions over time
Travis
Level 2 user

Post by Travis »

bdubbs wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 pm Pretty sure in the product details screen you can see the demand for a certain product in a given city in terms of both revenue and quantity and those numbers change with macroeconomic conditions over time
Where exactly is that info? I am unable to mine this information about market size in numbers for quantity or volume $$$. Any hint please?
Cheers
M
Etym
Level 3 user

Post by Etym »

Since this post is rather old by now, Travis may have found the answer on his own. But if not, and for anyone else with this question: Total Mkt. Share* can be found in the Information Center >> Products screen - simply choose your product from the Class and Product menus, then choose your target city (or "All"). You can switch between Revenue and Quantity Sold with the buttons at the bottom.
*NOTE that market share figures will change over time

This info is also available (except for the total of All cities) on the Product Details screen: select the product on the drop-down "choose your product" menu and pick a city.