Market share

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
Fugazi70

Market share

Post by Fugazi70 »

Is there a way to display the market share percentage?

Also how can I increase my market share percentage from local competitors?
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Market share

Post by eleaza »

Fugazi70 wrote:Is there a way to display the market share percentage?
This is a good suggestion, as far as I know, right now we can only eyeball it, or write down the sales total and calculated on our own.
Fugazi70 wrote: Also how can I increase my market share percentage from local competitors?
What do you mean by "increase your market share percentage from local competitors"? Increase the total market size? increasing your product market share, usually just related to cheaper price, higher brand, or better quality than local competitors, and generally speaking a better overall rating.

Perhaps showing a screenshot, or upload a save file to show exactly what's your question.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
Fugazi70

Post by Fugazi70 »

I will try a screenshot next time my PC is on.

But I have a monopoly on timber and making beds.

I have my R&D level on bed at 200 but it seems each time,

I go up on brand or tech the local market is not to far behind.

I lowered my price to gain more of the market share from the local competition. I was at 55% but now I'm at 95%

Doesn't seem worth wild doing the R&D because the local market is always increasing to be a close match.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Do you know the differences of Local Overall rating, Average Overall rating, and your own Current Overall Rating?

Local Overall rating is circled red in the below screenshot, Average Overall rating in Green, and your own Current Overall rating in deep blue.
Local vs Avg vs Own Overall Rating.jpg
Local vs Avg vs Own Overall Rating.jpg (220.77 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
This is the same thing listed in the retail store window, just Local Overall rating isn't shown in the information screen. The Average is the weighted average of all the corporations(competitors) with "Local" product added in as so-called "white brand". If you have a very high dominate in product market share, it basically means your rating is roughly about the same representing the "average" (you average with yourself with a slightly local product, is basically the rating of yourself)
Attachments
Own vs Avg.jpg
Own vs Avg.jpg (165.63 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
Fugazi70

Post by Fugazi70 »

I haven't played in years
I had capitalism plus when it came out and still have the manual in storage

And used to play capitalism 2 but Capitalism plus was my favorite

I like the new one as it runs on windows 10 but the UI is a little clunky :)
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Fugazi70 wrote:Thanks :)

I haven't played in years
I had capitalism plus when it came out and still have the manual in storage

And used to play capitalism 2 but Capitalism plus was my favorite

I like the new one as it runs on windows 10 but the UI is a little clunky :)
Cap Lab has all the features Cap 2 had and much more, and a lot more mechanics as well as tools and information. Once you get used to Cap Lab complexity, you would feel quite a loss go back playing Cap 2. And for the most part, Cap Lab is a lot more difficult than Cap 2.

Cap Plus is a little more different than Cap 2 or Lab. And focus more to the core manufacturing and productions, with much more products in default game (after Cap Lab modding support, right now we have a lot more products with mods like RealWorld mod compare to Cap Plus). And the only feature I think not revived from Cap Plus is the farming weather condition mechanics related to different map locations.
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

Since the question is answered I hope I'm not a jerk for going off topic here but Eleaza why would you let the average overall quality get so high? I'd imagine the point is to keep out the competition but personally I like to push prices as much as I can until a new competitor enters the market, and if they're small I buy them out.

Actually to the OP that's a good thing to keep in mind, particularly in lower difficulty games where competitors aren't particularly aggressive. As the quality of your product and your brand rating rises you bring the overall market quality up, but the local competition does not improve (they may be able to over time based on macro economic factors but I'm not sure). I almost always use range brand and if you try to sell products at a lower overall quality than the city average it creates negative brand loyalty. If you're the only retailer of a product in your city then you can depress the average quality by raising your price until your overall quality meets the average and then wait for the average to drop by a few points. You can steadily do this until you hit a point where you can't keep raising your prices and keep your sales units fully utilized, or until a competitor enters the market and starts bringing up the average.

The best way to get a competitor out of your market is usually to buy them out because it comes with other benefits but if you have a superior product and are willing to sacrifice your profit then you can drag the city average up to the point your competitor can no longer compete.

Good luck!
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

bdubbs wrote:Since the question is answered I hope I'm not a jerk for going off topic here but Eleaza why would you let the average overall quality get so high? I'd imagine the point is to keep out the competition but personally I like to push prices as much as I can until a new competitor enters the market, and if they're small I buy them out.
Well, the simple answer is, this is not my save, and not my game :P, however there is advantage going higher in overall rating if you know how to manage it (and I'll explain it later below)

For these screenshots, I just find examples from someone else's save that has a product with enough "gap" between average and local overall rating, so it would be easy to tell they are "different" ratings. A lot of players misunderstand the average as "local competitor", since in the beginning before any competitors exist these two ratings are (about) the same. Without paying attention to product details overtime, some people will mistakenly think these ratings don't change and are the same. (they do change, and they are not the same)
bdubbs wrote: Actually to the OP that's a good thing to keep in mind, particularly in lower difficulty games where competitors aren't particularly aggressive. As the quality of your product and your brand rating rises you bring the overall market quality up, but the local competition does not improve (they may be able to over time based on macro economic factors but I'm not sure). I almost always use range brand and if you try to sell products at a lower overall quality than the city average it creates negative brand loyalty. If you're the only retailer of a product in your city then you can depress the average quality by raising your price until your overall quality meets the average and then wait for the average to drop by a few points. You can steadily do this until you hit a point where you can't keep raising your prices and keep your sales units fully utilized, or until a competitor enters the market and starts bringing up the average.

The best way to get a competitor out of your market is usually to buy them out because it comes with other benefits but if you have a superior product and are willing to sacrifice your profit then you can drag the city average up to the point your competitor can no longer compete.

Good luck!
Yes, local competitor will change their price and brand, if economic simulation is high. You can think of local competitors as a very passive AI, the so-called local advertise income share in local media firm's income graph shows local ad expenses. And the price adjustment is very slow usually related to current inflation rate (if set to ON) and average price. Even their quality changes when the average quality on the market changes, they will follow the "trend".

Normally higher overall rating, especially over 100, gives you very high market dominance where it acts as a "deterrent" for AIs to even think about joining in the competition. A lot of time this actually more "convenient" and cost less than later squeeze them out or buy them out. And with Sub DLC, sometimes it's even better to just let AI as subs and leave the micromanagement to controlled AI subs and reap the profit as dividends. Most of the time overall rating don't change the total revenue much, and the economic status has much higher impact. But for certain products with the right price/brand/quality concern combination, you can break" the standard base revenue and actually increase the total market. An example below :

The base revenue of this city's wine is about 70 million a year with no one but just local competitors (for 30 years). Where the overall rating is just 8 (notice the average is 7, there's always some very small rounding down of average ratings so the "local competitors" has a natural tendency to "dominate" the market share where no one is competing)
Wine 2029.jpg
Wine 2029.jpg (146.37 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
With just 2 competitive price on the market to dragged down the average price, but the total market revenue for wine still maintained about 70 millions a year, even though the average overall rating jumped to 52. The regular jump up and down is the economic status cycle, it has much higher impact than anything else.
Wine 2031.jpg
Wine 2031.jpg (149.62 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
But we can sort of "break" the "standard" revenue by increase the overall rating to 104 with very high quality and brand and total market dominance, the total revenue of wine jumped to near 100 million a year. (and you can see the local competitors tried to compete with me and changed their quality and price, just very slowly). Notice, the same goes for yogurt, and you don't have to go over 100 overall rating, just with enough high quality and brand, depends on concern you can break the standard revenue (not necessarily with more profit though, sometimes the increase in cost outweighs the increase in revenue)
Wine 2041.jpg
Wine 2041.jpg (174.93 KiB) Viewed 3950 times