Media Firm Differences

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Media Firm Differences

Post by eleaza »

Spac3y wrote:My thoughts for the 3 media companies would be if you had the purchase-sale setup with advertising unit linking into the 4x these per floor, on each differrent floor one of the three media companies could advertise. This would then give you 100% reach ? as in the 1 store youd have all products advertised over all media and quicken brand awareness ?
Ads to all 3 different media is to expand the total reach I suppose, but to quicken brand awareness it depends on daily ads frequency. The part I am not sure is that whether the effect of having high daily ads frequency in low CPM media, combine with low daily ads frequency in high CPM media works better than matching all medias with the same daily ads frequency. From experience the later seems to perform better, and AIs seem to use this strategy as well, but it costs more in general.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

So I just played through the media empire scenario to play with the media firms some more and the results were a little frustrating. From what I could tell every TV and Radio station I bought out had its rating slowly decline over time even though its content quality was going up. By the end of the game I had several media firms and the new ones I bought out seemed to actually be more profitable by my owning them. I'd have to guess that there is some benefit to owning several media firms, and I found the most consistent profitable spending for new content to be just about dead center, and never saw any observed benefits when I had maxed content budget.

So as far as the benefit of more coverage, I can't find a way to make it tangible but there was some perceived benefit to owning media firms in more cities when compared to one.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

bdubbs wrote:So I just played through the media empire scenario to play with the media firms some more and the results were a little frustrating. From what I could tell every TV and Radio station I bought out had its rating slowly decline over time even though its content quality was going up. By the end of the game I had several media firms and the new ones I bought out seemed to actually be more profitable by my owning them. I'd have to guess that there is some benefit to owning several media firms, and I found the most consistent profitable spending for new content to be just about dead center, and never saw any observed benefits when I had maxed content budget.

So as far as the benefit of more coverage, I can't find a way to make it tangible but there was some perceived benefit to owning media firms in more cities when compared to one.
So far as I can tell media firm of the same type will compete with each other on "market share" (rating point). It doesn't matter if your program quality is increasing, at some point the quality rising will become harder and harder, however new media firm of the same type just joined in will rise its quality pretty quick, and take away a big chunk of the "audience /market share". I feel it's kinda similar to product market competition, when all the "coverage"(total audience market) of that media type is "covered"(saturated, i.e. the combined reach/market share exceeded the coverage/market size), these same type medias will start to compete with each other. And like product market, it's not always more profitable pushing toward larger market share, it is possible at some point under certain situation where costs just outpaced the revenue increases.
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

eleaza wrote:
bdubbs wrote:So I just played through the media empire scenario to play with the media firms some more and the results were a little frustrating. From what I could tell every TV and Radio station I bought out had its rating slowly decline over time even though its content quality was going up. By the end of the game I had several media firms and the new ones I bought out seemed to actually be more profitable by my owning them. I'd have to guess that there is some benefit to owning several media firms, and I found the most consistent profitable spending for new content to be just about dead center, and never saw any observed benefits when I had maxed content budget.

So far as I can tell media firm of the same type will compete with each other on "market share" (rating point). It doesn't matter if your program quality is increasing, at some point the quality rising will become harder and harder, however new media firm of the same type just joined in will rise its quality pretty quick, and take away a big chunk of the "audience /market share". I feel it's kinda similar to product market competition, when all the "coverage"(total audience market) of that media type is "covered"(saturated, i.e. the combined reach/market share exceeded the coverage/market size), these same type medias will start to compete with each other. And like product market, it's not always more profitable pushing toward larger market share, it is possible at some point under certain situation where costs just outpaced the revenue increases.
Now there's an answer that would at least make logical sense. Now the question would be do these firms just compete locally or worldwide? Not that I expect to get that answer. Either way playing the media scenario got me into beating all the other scenarios.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

bdubbs wrote:
Now there's an answer that would at least make logical sense. Now the question would be do these firms just compete locally or worldwide? Not that I expect to get that answer. Either way playing the media scenario got me into beating all the other scenarios.
I believe like product markets, medias also only complete between each other locally. At least I didn't see any sign of building excessive medias in another city affect existing medias in current city. (excessively building medias is one easy but expensive way to provide job openings in CES DLC for new city, so if there's any leakage to another city it would be quite obvious I assume)
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

No need to believe in local media market. Here's a screenshot. All 5 radio stations on this screenshot hold 100% of the audience.
radio stations market.jpg
radio stations market.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1590 times
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

megapolis wrote:No need to believe in local media market. Here's a screenshot. All 5 radio stations on this screenshot hold 100% of the audience.
Yes, if a city has several medias of the same type, they will only add up to 100% rating within that city (the combine can be lower than 100% if there are not enough medias or their contents are not good enough). The problem is combine 100% only means the total Reach is the same as the Coverage, and I am really not sure if the coverage of one type of the media equal to the total population, and whether the coverage between different media types are the same. The answers to them seem both to be NO.
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

eleaza wrote:
megapolis wrote:No need to believe in local media market. Here's a screenshot. All 5 radio stations on this screenshot hold 100% of the audience.
Yes, if a city has several medias of the same type, they will only add up to 100% rating within that city (the combine can be lower than 100% if there are not enough medias or their contents are not good enough). The problem is combine 100% only means the total Reach is the same as the Coverage, and I am really not sure if the coverage of one type of the media equal to the total population, and whether the coverage between different media types are the same. The answers to them seem both to be NO.
Unlike my previous post, here I have to say that here we have enough data. Rating Points are the only number that is needed for sales of advertising. Otherwise we have to manage radio antennaes, manage relationship between TV stations and cable networks, manage newspaper kiosks owners to pursuade them to sell your newspaper instead of rivals'. It's just additional micromanagement that does not add any gameplay value. If you will assume that during establishment of media firm you spend some money from new content creation budget on increasing the reach of your media until your newspaper will be in every kiosk, your TV station will be in every cable network and your radio transmitter will cover all the city, it will reflect reality rather good and anyway sooner or later your media will reach 100% coverage and then only Rating Points will matter.