Building a New City

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
TrimBarktree

Building a New City

Post by TrimBarktree »

I just got CES yesterday and I'm trying to build a successful new city. I've tried building basically one of every civic building and I keep going broke. Are there essential buildings that I need right away, and more Second tier necessity buildings?

Does anyone have any good tips or strategies for building new cities? Any insight will be a huge help.
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Re: Building a New City

Post by Spac3y »

You should be able to build pretty much one of every civic building to start with. The key is only allowing utilisation to begin with at around 100. You do not need to whack the sliders all the way up or you will be running huge costs for services that your town doesnt need yet.

One of the early ways of making money is by companies buying up the land. The more land they build up to put down shops etc then the more that flow into the coffers.

You need to make money from taxes. So , in order to make money from taxes you need residential as people provide one of the biggest income streams (consumer tax aint much to be honest) (and to begin with you wont have many companies so corporation tax doesnt bring so much in to begin with).

So, build some houses and some commercial zones as well as these are very cheap when starting to build the city up. As you population grows , you need to tweak the sliders on each civic building to makesure you are at 100% coverage (or abit more)
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

I've been playing with starting a new city, and I just don't see how it's possible to build a city that can support itself financially while providing all the services from civic buildings. Considering new cities start at 0 population it might be possible to only provide a few services and then add more over time, or issue enough bonds to support your infrastructure long enough for taxes to catch up, but other than trying one of those paths I'm stumped. By the time the city hits 50k population most of the civic buildings wanted the sliders about 50% of the way up to keep up with 100 utilization and keep people from emigrating over safety, education, etc.
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Post by Spac3y »

You will probably have to use the Bonds facility to start with and then the tax take does catch up and you can become very self sufficent. It takes a little time to get a city of the ground but it soon can start stacking up the tax income from residential once it does :)