CapMain.exe is not a valid Win32 application on XP

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
nada

CapMain.exe is not a valid Win32 application on XP

Post by nada »

good evening,
i just updated to the latest post release beta, which is 2.6.08 and the game sadly won't run anymore.
i had no problems with my previous version, which was 2.5.09 i think, or maybe 2.4.09.
my guess from the error message is you guys probably updated your compiler, because my machine's os is windows xp x64 edition.
oh and if i run the launcher, it simply disappears when 'login' is clicked.
Attachments
screenshot.JPG
screenshot.JPG (236.15 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: CapMain.exe is not a valid Win32 application on XP

Post by David »

nada wrote:good evening,
i just updated to the latest post release beta, which is 2.6.08 and the game sadly won't run anymore.
i had no problems with my previous version, which was 2.5.09 i think, or maybe 2.4.09.
my guess from the error message is you guys probably updated your compiler, because my machine's os is windows xp x64 edition.
oh and if i run the launcher, it simply disappears when 'login' is clicked.
Due to the fact that the new features we have added to the latest v2.6.08 requires the Windows 7 OS core to run, unfortunately it can no longer run on other OS.

(Both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 are supported.)
nada

Post by nada »

David wrote: Due to the fact that the new features we have added to the latest v2.6.08 requires the Windows 7 OS core to run, unfortunately it can no longer run on other OS.
(Both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 are supported.)
ok, that does make me a bit furious. if you'd told me that earlier, i wouldn't have bought the game and i must add: sorry, but i find that unacceptable, since around 15%-25% (who knows?) still use xp!
what kind of features exactly can't be coded to work on a xp machine?
it would also be nice from your side to not hide the system requirements on http://www.capitalismlab.com/buy-game.html at the very very bottom on an extra page, where xp isn't in the list of supported os (anymore?).

run this on python and see what it says:

Code: Select all

import random
while 1:
    xp_usage_share = random.randint(15,25)
    if xp_usage_share >= 10:
        print "don't forget about backwards compatibility!"
    else:
        break
David

Post by David »

I will forward you message to the dev team and see if they can find a solution to this.

In the meantime, please use the release version (v2.5.14), which supports WinXP.

By the way, does anybody who is using WinXP 32bit having problems running the latest post-release version 2.6.08 as well?
nada

Post by nada »

David wrote:I will forward you message to the dev team and see if they can find a solution to this.

In the meantime, please use the release version (v2.5.14), which supports WinXP.

By the way, does anybody who is using WinXP 32bit having problems running the latest post-release version 2.6.08 as well?
actually i also have xp 32bit installed, and no, it doesn't work either - proof attached below. (it's not shopped, you have to take my word on that)

right now, there are more than 121 games on this pc and exept 2 (that would be around 1.7%), they all run on xp 64bit. those two are capitalism lab and half-life 1.
amongst the others are newer ones like skyrim, sims 3, gta 4 and even 'oldies' like diablo 1 or heroes of might and magic 3... okay, i don't know for sure, but i'd bet my collection of 90's hardware they wouldn't all run on vista, 7 or 8 too!
Attachments
screenshot2.PNG
screenshot2.PNG (122.86 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
David

Post by David »

Our dev team has started working on this issue already and I hope I will have some good news for you soon.
David

Post by David »

Patch 2.6.09 has been released. It fixes the compatibility issues with Windows XP.

You may download the patch from:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =10&t=2160
nada

Post by nada »

awesome! tested and works on both, 32 and 64bit xp now. very much appreciated - a warm thanks to you and the code guys :D