STORE controlled by me, but can't manage its price setting.

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
counting
Level 8 user

STORE controlled by me, but can't manage its price setting.

Post by counting »

I was testing the apartment effect to traffic index, but I run into a bug that is supposed to be patched.

When hiring COO to manage your store, and once you click the let it manage all my retail store, any new store established after that, although showing controlled by CEO, its price will still be manged by COO. Like the computer store with the name description, and I set the price of this shop's desktop computer to 0.01, and it will jump right back to COO price.
Attachments
Store managing bug.zip
(1003.58 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: STORE controlled by me, but can't manage its price setti

Post by David »

This bug has been fixed in the latest patch v2.635 which you may download from http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... f=7&t=2534
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Well, this is fixed :)

But AI COO still sucks. I sometimes wonder if it even knows what maximize market share or maximize profit means. I have to manually set the price for it to able to compete with other AIs' market shares (even at max market share setting, it still couldn't catchup other AIs rating or price change at all), and I am pretty certain my COO has very high retail, and my shop locations have nice traffic index, even my product quality and brand is superior, it's very easy to get a +20 rating with similar price range and squeeze out inferior competitor products. Why would AI COO acted more dumb than AI opponents in all aspects, by design to make the in-game competition harder? Then what's point hiring a COO couldn't help you with anything, not setting price properly, always mess up with your supply chain, can't manage media firms, and constantly mass write-off to new products the moment a slightly better deal appear, and make a huge loss not even close to compensate the profit gain. Not too mention have to pay its salary. The only benefit I could think of is its expertise level to instant upgrade associated firms unit level, but it doesn't help if its so broken where you have to overwrite its command manually so often, or afraid it makes a wrong link and cost you a lot than its worth.
azxcvbnm321
Level 3 user

Post by azxcvbnm321 »

The AI is going to be the hardest to improve because all the factors are so complex. Do you have enough supply and retail stores available for the AI to drop prices? I agree that there's a lot of room for improvement, but I hardly have a problem with making money with COO. The COO is not good with choosing supplies because it'll choose the nearest factory with supplies available, but if a lot of stores set that factory to be the supplier, that factory will be overwhelmed pretty fast. You really have to set links manually and have a system, say one factory supplies X number of retail stores and you build a new factory every time you exceed X retail stores using that factory.

The biggest positives to having a COO is that you don't have to manually set prices which will change all the time because AI competitors will adjust prices constantly to fight you. That leaves me free to build the supply chains. The second positive, and maybe the best to some people, is the bonus you get from their expertise. It's so valuable in fact, that I have to rehire a COO immediately if one quits because my sales will drop off.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

azxcvbnm321 wrote:The AI is going to be the hardest to improve because all the factors are so complex. Do you have enough supply and retail stores available for the AI to drop prices? I agree that there's a lot of room for improvement, but I hardly have a problem with making money with COO. The COO is not good with choosing supplies because it'll choose the nearest factory with supplies available, but if a lot of stores set that factory to be the supplier, that factory will be overwhelmed pretty fast. You really have to set links manually and have a system, say one factory supplies X number of retail stores and you build a new factory every time you exceed X retail stores using that factory.
I know there's limitation, and its not hard to have a company still making money when production is up to scale, even way back in Cap2 where you don't have much control with COO. Doesn't have to be precise to make money. The problem is AI COO is mediocre at best, but annoyingly bad in tight spot, even shrinking overall revenue and losing market shares with all the advantage at hand (better brand, better tech, better quality source, own media firms etc). It generally can perform well enough when products have monopoly, but really bad at competitions, or more precisely to say, very mechanical with its respond, so players are forced to follow "AI logic". I don't like hire a "helper" but still have to manually tune details myself and follow "its rule", it should be the other way around.
azxcvbnm321 wrote: The biggest positives to having a COO is that you don't have to manually set prices which will change all the time because AI competitors will adjust prices constantly to fight you. That leaves me free to build the supply chains. The second positive, and maybe the best to some people, is the bonus you get from their expertise. It's so valuable in fact, that I have to rehire a COO immediately if one quits because my sales will drop off.
It's easy to fend off competitions and don't have to chase its price, sometimes its worse to enter a price war like COO would do (and other times COO would just gave up and hand over the entire market to competitions, you can check the save file in the original bug report, and try to set Desktop Computer price with $150 to $200 range manually, and then assign those stores to COO management, and see how AI "fine tuned" the price and get squeezed out by competitions, and there's enough production to supply at least 1/3 of the city's demand at that rating with that setup, and definitely enough retails even with just level 1 or 2 sales level). And COO is no better at adjusting prices, it just gradually tuned up and down, and you have to manually reset to a better price range every now and then, otherwise it just behave like factories and retail stores run separately, when there are tons of extra production, it doesn't scaling up; In a tight spot, not raise the price to squeeze profit. Only a dumb slider with all the products at once, and COO not even doing a good job with these supposed function. (And if I have the time to plan my supply chains, choose good retail locations, then I can spare few seconds to set an ideal price with "apply all", no need for a COO who eats 10% revenue)

And I agree AI expertise is good (and probably the only benefit it can provide), so IMO a better way is to just make COO stick with these passive benefits similar to CMO/CTO, and divided the task job into smaller parts, like CFO to control budget, Sales VP to watch out competitions and respond, HR VP to speed up training, etc. Not just roll all the half-cooked functions into one big fat COO.