Tunneling (fraud)

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Tunneling (fraud)

Post by David »

It is our intention to make this forum more readable and useful suggestions more visible, hence allowing users to access the content of this forum more effectively.

Therefore we request only posts with concrete suggestions that can be comprehended without difficulty to be posted here.

Please note that posts that do not comply with the forum rules will be removed.

If you are not a native English speaker and have difficulty writing in English, we have staff that can understand English, French (partially) and Chinese, you may write in your local language instead if you prefer.

Thank you for your cooperation.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

I agree this one is not a suggestion, but belongs to strategy tips, and actually a quite rare one for stock market related strategy. Maybe the entire thread can be moved to strategy section.

I'll explain in English what the sequence means. The purpose of this strategy is for moving huge sum of cash from player's corporate account to personal account.

* Initial setup, choose a target corporation with low stock price, and use personal cash to buy as many shares as possible, even by selling player's own corporation stock to raise cash for buying more. (pic s2)

* 1st step, players give this target corporation a tender deal to rise its net worth and net profit. In here, it's using over-paid tech offer. (pic s1)

* 2nd step, after the target corporation stock price shoot up, sell the personally owned stock to gain profit from this deal. And if the stock is sold in stages, other AIs will buy some to keep the price at a high level as well. (pic s3)

* If the initial fund is coming from selling own corporation stock, buy back with the newly earned cash (pic s4). Usually this is not difficult, since player's corporation stock price stays low, due to heavy profit lost earlier.

* pic s5 shows another way of providing extra net profit to a target corporation, using warehouse to mass purchase an over-produced AI product. Normally I would suggest finding a consumer product if there's one, since you can later recover some capital by selling them. However semi-product has the advantage of mass quantity and usually no shortage of supply.

This is one of the three major ways of moving cash from corporate account to personal account (salary, dividend, and stock manipulation). But usually you have to be careful manipulating price to be as extreme as possible (choosing target is important, even preferably with a corporation that has net lost), otherwise only a small portion of the cash will be transferred (In this particular case, the initial 800m cash, roughly about half was "moved" to personal account).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

David wrote:It is our intention to make this forum more readable and useful suggestions more visible, hence allowing users to access the content of this forum more effectively.

Therefore we request only posts with concrete suggestions that can be comprehended without difficulty to be posted here.

Please note that posts that do not comply with the forum rules will be removed.

If you are not a native English speaker and have difficulty writing in English, we have staff that can understand English, French (partially) and Chinese, you may write in your local language instead if you prefer.

Thank you for your cooperation.
BTW, this is ironic though, some players probably couldn't even read this caution note in English :roll:

And David, sometimes I was asked by new members who have no clue where to post on which board. Perhaps a general board is really necessary for them to post (and later moved to the correct section, without hurry). But you as a forum manager will have lots work to do just moving posts around :shock:
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

openbu.org wrote:A bosom friend,Counting.I gave the game proposal is to prevent such tunneling(fraud).
Personally I don't think it's really a fraud (in game), since players pay a penalty to move cash from corporation account to personal account. Since it's a lot faster than other means.

And as you mentioned it's similar to a practice exist in real life, and not always regulated, so it stands for reason for it to exist in game. It's very similar to my "cook books" strategy in principle, not ethical and probably an exploit, but not really breaking the game balance much (since players can't actually use personal fund to do much, other than showing off. Or a goal involving personal wealth). And since the game title is about Capitalism, the bright side should coexist with the dark side.

Also to be fair, it won't be an easy fix, unless every tender offer can be identified and put limit to it.
David

Post by David »

And David, sometimes I was asked by new members who have no clue where to post on which board. Perhaps a general board is really necessary for them to post (and later moved to the correct section, without hurry).
I've revised the descriptions of these forums to better reflect their purposes:

Capitalism Lab – Release version
General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab

Capitalism Lab - Post-Release Beta Version
General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab

So you may feel free to post about general discussions of CapLab there.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

Counting thank you for the English translation, I wasn't sure what he was trying to say. I thought he was going to complain about the AI picking favorites like companies they have a equity stake in and selling their technology to them below market price but refusing to sell to his company....but after S3 I got lost and realized my assumption was incorrect.
David

Post by David »

The latest version 2.6.13 has improved the stock price simulation. You may test it and see if the improvement applies to the scenario you described in this post.

On a separate note, I suggested you use Google Translate, and you may type your message like this:

<english text>

"Chinese: <Chinese text>" (If you think your meaning is lost in translation and the original text in Chinese can convey the message better.)

Note: Many of your previous messages can hardly be understood and they have been or will be deleted because of that reason, as I have the responsibility to maintain this forum to ensure that it only contains messages with reasonable readability.

Thanks for your cooperation.