Bigger retail outlets

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
Hartenberg

Bigger retail outlets

Post by Hartenberg »

HI! first off, thanks for building this game. Absolutely love it!

Just one thing that really annoys me: I would like to see bigger retail outlets in the game.

Because, really, which store only sells 4 products? Which supermarket only stores 4 products?

Is there any chance for this to happen?
Hartenberg

Re: Bigger retail outlets

Post by Hartenberg »

addition: the retail outlets really are too big (compared to apartments and/or other buildings on the map) at this moment when they're only selling 4 products.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Hartenberg wrote:addition: the retail outlets really are too big (compared to apartments and/or other buildings on the map) at this moment when they're only selling 4 products.
Consider there are only 89 retail products exist in the game, and normally every product class has only 3 to 4 products, the ratio is quite right. (like 30 corporations everyone can take 3 products on average). And often than not, there are enough spots in the cities to build retail stores.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
Hartenberg

Post by Hartenberg »

Well with all the added products in the mods, I think it would be much more realistic to have more spaces available in your shops, or at least have the possibility to build bigger shops.

When I build a computer shop I run out of space to sell my products pretty soon: notebook, desktop, printer, mobile phone.... And you're out of spaces.

For a supermarket it's even worse.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Hartenberg wrote:Well with all the added products in the mods, I think it would be much more realistic to have more spaces available in your shops, or at least have the possibility to build bigger shops.

When I build a computer shop I run out of space to sell my products pretty soon: notebook, desktop, printer, mobile phone.... And you're out of spaces.

For a supermarket it's even worse.
But it would also cost extra overhead, if you do NOT have enough products to sell if there are more "sales lines". However, I agree the balance between product types and AI numbers, or something else need to increase with mods that have more products.

But IMO, I don't think increase retail store lines is the right direction. The UI has to be rewrite, and the cost of sales between retail stores, manufacturing, salaries, etc, need to rebalanced, a lot of work and it would disrupt the existing default game balance just for the chance of some mods might need it. Unless someday in the future the building mod can be released, otherwise I still think we need other options to work things out.
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

Not to dig up an old topic, but I still see this as a problem in the game.

With the new building mod we can adjust the capacity of new building to increase their output, but we can not increase the number of products available for sale.

For me the hardest part of the game, especially after 10 years has passed, is just the number of firms there are to manage. This issue is further multiplied by the number of competitors that are all doing the same thing till basically cities become filled up with multiple retail stores and factories.

While I understand the decision has been made not to change the games framework. I still believe this is an important conversation to have especially considering the number of products that can now be added through mods.