Player contribution to new Smart Tips mechanism

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
eleaza
Level 8 user

Player contribution to new Smart Tips mechanism

Post by eleaza »

Since David said a new Smart Tips mechanism would require players' contribution to these shining new tips, So here I start a post gathering everyone's experiences in the game, and hopefully this new mechanism wil bring more new players into the fold, and stop them from scratching their heads every 3 seconds. Below is a format I suggest everyone following it (but feel free to give me advice if it's not up to the task for tips you want to suggest). I'll add some examples in the first few replies.

Author(s) :
(your name you liked to be credited for, or if reciting other's words, included the citation source link and the original author's name, this will help gathering data, and put credit for everyone's hard work)

Version :
(what version or DLC does this tips work, if it's a general tip, using All Version. If it required certain DLC, specify which DLC, like Subsidiary DLC, or if it only works with the Core Game)

Category(optional) :
(just a reminder of what this tip would generally belong to, like for Retailing, or Manufacturing, or Marketing, or Farming, etc. If it doesn't belong to easily defined category, maybe leave it as blank since its optional, or just as General Tip)

Associated Firm(s) :
(Where the tip would be associated to, like "Apartment", or if it's a general mechanism tips, leave it as "General Gameplay", or the triggered interface name, like "Build menu", "Mini Map", etc)

Triggered Action(s) :
(Describe how and when this smart tip would be triggered, like "Click the Build Menu", "Click and Enter the Apartment screen", if it's conditioned, please be specific, like "Clicking the Notification ! mark (hotkey:q), when it's a finished technology Notification Window, and there is at least one factory can be updated with this technology")

Smart Tips :
(No more than 150 characters with blanks, and be as brief as possible. However it must give clear instructions to a specific task that is related to the gameplay, no personal notes or emotional opinions. Be as neutral as possible. And stay in just one topic. If you think 150 characters aren't enough please leave a comment on how long it should be. And here is a free online word count website https://wordcounter.net/)

Side Notes :
(Any other information associated with this tip you like to add, or concepts too long couldn't fit into 150 characters, you can add them here. Leave it blank if none)

If you don't want to pick new colors, you can simply copy the BBcode below and fill in the contents

Code: Select all

[color=#804000][b]Author(s) : [/b][/color]

[color=#000000][b]Version : [/b][/color]

[color=#FF00FF][b]Category(optional) : [/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Associated Firm(s) : [/b][/color]

[color=#408000][b]Triggered Action(s) : [/b][/color]

[color=#FF4000][b]Smart Tips : [/b][/color]

[color=#404080][b]Side Notes : [/b][/color]

Last edited by eleaza on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Player contribution to new Smart Tips mechanism

Post by eleaza »

Author(s) :
Eleaza

Version :
All versions

Associated Firm(s) :
Retail store

Triggered Action(s) :
Entering a player owned retail store screen

Smart Tips :
You can double click product images to view Product Details report (hotkey:R), and manage all your stores in different cities with ease.

Side Notes :
Last edited by eleaza on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Author(s) :
Eleaza

Version :
All versions

Associated Firm(s) :
Apartment, Commercial Buildings

Triggered Action(s) :
Click and enter a player owned Apartment or Commercial Building screen

Smart Tips :
Click auto-adjust button on the right of Market Rent adjustment + -, and the rent price will automatically follow market rate with percentage you set.

Side Notes :
For comparison purpose, this tip has the maximum character count of 150.
Last edited by eleaza on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Author(s) :
WilliamMGary
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =10#p17505
edited by
Eleaza

Version :
All versions

Associated Firm(s) :
Build Menu -> R&D Center

Triggered Action(s) :
Click on Build Menu -> R&D Center

Smart Tips :
If technology disruption is enabled, build R&D Center and research new technology to maintain product quality level and stay competitive.

Side Notes :
Please link the source and the name of its author if it's from a named source, if it's an anonymous source, leave the original link.
Last edited by eleaza on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Author(s) :
Eleaza

Version :
All versions

Associated Firm(s) :
R&D Center

Triggered Action(s) :
After adding a new Product R&D unit in R&D Center and pick the technology already in research (in Dark Red color)

Smart Tips :
R&D progress amount won't be accumulated with separated Product R&D unit, please link them together in the same R&D center.

Side Notes :
You'd be surprised how many times I see new players making this mistake and continuing to do so blissfully, and wondering why they fall behind in technologies.
Last edited by eleaza on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Author(s) :
Eleaza

Version :
All versions

Associated Firm(s) :
General Gameplay, R&D Center, Factory

Triggered Action(s) :
Clicking the Notification ! mark (hotkey:q), when it's a finished technology Notification Window, and there is at least one factory can be updated with this technology, and auto apply r&D results to factories is enabled

Smart Tips :
If AUTO APPLY R&D RESULTS TO FACTORIES in OPTIONS is ENABLED, be aware applying new technology downgrades manufacturing unit level of that type.

Side Notes :
Actual smart tip that only shows with a specific condition, I don't know if this is possible to implement. You can use different triggered actions or associated firms in other replies with similar tips, as long as the knowledge can be shared. And linked back to this reply as the source. Or the source from WilliamMGary http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =10#p17505
Last edited by eleaza on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

I think Smart Tips should be within the game play as I'm sure users by pass the tutorials. So like you enable Smart Tips in game settings and then when you place your first Firm (R&D, Retail Store) you get 5 smart tips that cover basic and important information for that firm type.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

WilliamMGary wrote:I think Smart Tips should be within the game play as I'm sure users by pass the tutorials. So like you enable Smart Tips in game settings and then when you place your first Firm (R&D, Retail Store) you get 5 smart tips that cover basic and important information for that firm type.
That's the in-game "guiding system", but for so many topics covered in Capitalism Game, some kind of tutorials are still necessary I feel. And regardless the final form, we still need actual "smart tips" content before this mechanism can work. And we need experienced players like you help contributing some facts and tips. Some contents can come from existing tutorials help texts, but a lot of the "knowledge" is within player's head. (I'll post some from time to time when I think of any)

Also how long do you think one smart tip should be, 150 characters limit is just an arbitrary number I picked (close to twitter length I guess). Is it too long or too short? Your original examples are closer to 200 ~ 300 characters, but I like it to be one sentence instead of two. (That's generally how tip works, right? one topic one focused sentence).
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

eleaza wrote:
WilliamMGary wrote:I think Smart Tips should be within the game play as I'm sure users by pass the tutorials. So like you enable Smart Tips in game settings and then when you place your first Firm (R&D, Retail Store) you get 5 smart tips that cover basic and important information for that firm type.
That's the in-game "guiding system", but for so many topics covered in Capitalism Game, some kind of tutorials are still necessary I feel. And regardless the final form, we still need actual "smart tips" content before this mechanism can work. And we need experienced players like you help contributing some facts and tips. Some contents can come from existing tutorials help texts, but a lot of the "knowledge" is within player's head. (I'll post some from time to time when I think of any)

Also how long do you think one smart tip should be, 150 characters limit is just an arbitrary number I picked (close to twitter length I guess). Is it too long or too short? Your original examples are closer to 200 ~ 300 characters, but I like it to be one sentence instead of two. (That's generally how tip works, right? one topic one focused sentence).
short and concise so that players would be willing to click through and learn.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

WilliamMGary wrote:
eleaza wrote:

short and concise so that players would be willing to click through and learn.
Any good tips want to share? I can help shortening the sentence, and apply the format for you.

Maybe we should break it down into several categories, like retail, manufacturing, marketing, etc. and then it would be easier to think of something.