Please author the manual again

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
GnoSiS
Level 2 user

Please author the manual again

Post by GnoSiS »

Greetings!

It's been many years since I played this game. So happy you are updating and adding functionality. I owned the original 1& 2 games, and I just recently bought this + the DLC.

Even though I did play the game in the past quite a lot, I feel that you should write and update a new manual. Reasons:

1. The game is even more complex now and there are so many changes.
2. Changelogs & what's new documentation does not give a complete overview of functionality or game possibilities.
3. Not sure if the original game concepts are still the same/ If their meaning and functionality has been changed.
4. Some more info about the macroeconomic model and simulation of the nation/consumers/AI would be welcome.
5. You need an entire section of how the player can combat micromanagement. There are solutions, but they are hidden.
6. Current documentation is spread out all over the place.
7. Due to complexity, you need a strategy section in the manual.
8. This should be done with the new and old players in mind. As a mature gamer who owned the originals, I feel a bit overwhelmed by Cap lab+DLCs.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Please author the manual again

Post by eleaza »

GnoSiS wrote:Greetings!

It's been many years since I played this game. So happy you are updating and adding functionality. I owned the original 1& 2 games, and I just recently bought this + the DLC.

Even though I did play the game in the past quite a lot, I feel that you should write and update a new manual. Reasons:

1. The game is even more complex now and there are so many changes.
2. Changelogs & what's new documentation does not give a complete overview of functionality or game possibilities.
3. Not sure if the original game concepts are still the same/ If their meaning and functionality has been changed.
4. Some more info about the macroeconomic model and simulation of the nation/consumers/AI would be welcome.
5. You need an entire section of how the player can combat micromanagement. There are solutions, but they are hidden.
6. Current documentation is spread out all over the place.
7. Due to complexity, you need a strategy section in the manual.
8. This should be done with the new and old players in mind. As a mature gamer who owned the originals, I feel a bit overwhelmed by Cap lab+DLCs.
Well, there are suggestions to use smart tips system to better introduce some concepts on the fly during gameplay.

http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =14&t=3873

But not much players contribute to the contents. Someone said new players no longer like to read (or even know) manuals these days.

A lot of the knowledge is locked inside old players head though. Maybe we need some kind of Q&A sessions like an AMA post. And generally speaking, this forum IS THE MANUAL (not a very well organized one :roll: )
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
GnoSiS
Level 2 user

Post by GnoSiS »

I don't believe the reasoning that players don't read manuals is valid. Sure, for a mindless button mashing game that's true, but not for all the gaming industry.

I agree with moving the manual ingame, but that has to be on the same level as civilopedia is to the civilization series. Perhaps investopedia?

Regardless, there is a dire need for consolidating the material and adding DLC tags to text sections that apply to a specific dlc only.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

I actually had a plan to organize some sort of road maps post to CES DLC. But still waiting for the version to be stabilized and all new features and mechanisms are presented. And ofc some free time to actually played a long game with constant saves and steps, and probably a lot of screenshots.

I've only write it once a bit about how to play CES DLC at very high difficulty in its very early version before.
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =16&t=3752
Maybe someone like you can pick up some kind of player guides in simliar format for the core game itself? Or any other volunteers?
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
meRlinX_AT
Level 3 user

Post by meRlinX_AT »

GnoSiS wrote:I don't believe the reasoning that players don't read manuals is valid. Sure, for a mindless button mashing game that's true, but not for all the gaming industry.

I agree with moving the manual ingame, but that has to be on the same level as civilopedia is to the civilization series. Perhaps investopedia?

Regardless, there is a dire need for consolidating the material and adding DLC tags to text sections that apply to a specific dlc only.
+1
Win 7 Pro / Cap Lab 4.4.19 + Sub DLC

* I'm not an native English speaker - maybe some phrases or words are not the "yellow from the egg".