"Feature request" - Product Details - Market share wrong

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
meRlinX_AT
Level 3 user

"Feature request" - Product Details - Market share wrong

Post by meRlinX_AT »

Hallo,

please help me and give me the enlightenment! (is not meant like that)
- all pictures are made at the same time with game paused

both.. the
- market share shown as 100% (red = Alpha Corp = me)
&
- 380k pcs (Quantity sold, All Cities)
from CPU's seems to be calculated in an "independent style".
cablab_market_cpu.JPG
cablab_market_cpu.JPG (28.87 KiB) Viewed 672 times
(beside the fact, that i have marketshare just in warsaw?)

... lets make same calculation
- there are the following products (Quantity sold, All Cities) which needs 1 CPU each
86k Desktop
41k Notebooks
78k Tablets
120k Smart Phones
110k Video Game Console
= 435k CPU's - 380k market share = delta 55k (~15% difference is ok? - failure in statistics, black market, delayed delivery of data, ...)

--> nice, in each product on the market is one of my CPU's! :D

or not? ...
- let's see the market share from the products above
cablab_market_all_w_cpu1.JPG
cablab_market_all_w_cpu1.JPG (238.16 KiB) Viewed 672 times
it' more a market share (Production) from under 50% (just estimated)

- ok. let's check my production. i have 7 big factories and 1 medium
380k market share / 8 factories = ~47500 pcs production/factories --> this is way to much to be true

- let's have a look to the real production
cablab_production_cpu1.JPG
cablab_production_cpu1.JPG (144.98 KiB) Viewed 672 times
454k All - 380k market share = delta 74k (~20% difference is ok? - failure in statistics, black market, delayed delivery of data, ...) but it's more then 100% market share.

sorry! my fault, have forgotten that the sales from warehouses are not counting
242k production - 380k market share = delta (138k) (~36% difference is not ok!)

sorry! again my fault, have forgotten that just the warehouses sell to other factories
212k warehouse sales - 380k market share = delta (168k) (~44% difference is not ok!)

sorry! and again my fault... how can an internal sale count for market share?
i have to read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share

of course! Market Unit Sales are counting = moment at which my product is sold to the market
we can now make a debate...
moment where an desktop system (with my cpu integrated) ist sold to
- the warehouse which is the supplier for the stores?
- the retail store has the product on stock?
- the store sells it to the customer? (which would propably be the best option - we know exactly how much we sold)

... but wait... look above under --> nice, in each product on the market is one of my CPU's!

sorry! my fault (again) ... it can not be so easy to just subtract something like
[product sold in retail from Corp (ANY)] * [needed CPU for product] - [CPU bought from factory (ANY)] = market share?

thanks for your help

-------------------------
conclusion: the business language usage nor some daily practices in business is not known to everyone

- the calculated market share is just wrong: no matter whether due to missing sales or because also the sales of the warehouses are counted

greetz
Last edited by meRlinX_AT on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 7 Pro / Cap Lab 4.4.19 + Sub DLC

* I'm not an native English speaker - maybe some phrases or words are not the "yellow from the egg".
megapolis
Level 6 user

Re: "Feature request" - Product Details - Market share wrong

Post by megapolis »

There is no problem here. Like at all.
Local businesses never buy semi-products and as a result don't generate market activity on semi-products markets.
meRlinX_AT
Level 3 user

Post by meRlinX_AT »

megapolis wrote:There is no problem here. Like at all.
i like your sarcasm :)
megapolis wrote:Local businesses never buy semi-products and as a result don't generate market activity on semi-products markets.
this is correct - exactly my guess

* I'm not an native English speaker - maybe some phrases or words are not the "yellow from the egg".
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

Part of the issue is that 380k is not your total unit shares. The 380k is just the highest Y value on the graph. Your actual unit sales is lower then this, unless you captured this data right at the moment the graph was about to adjust to a higher level.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting to add to the game though.
meRlinX_AT
Level 3 user

Post by meRlinX_AT »

Arcnor wrote:Part of the issue is that 380k is not your total unit shares. The 380k is just the highest Y value on the graph. Your actual unit sales is lower then this, unless you captured this data right at the moment the graph was about to adjust to a higher level.

- and I suspect, that i have even more than 100% market share ;)

Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

meRlinX_AT wrote:
Arcnor wrote:Part of the issue is that 380k is not your total unit shares. The 380k is just the highest Y value on the graph. Your actual unit sales is lower then this, unless you captured this data right at the moment the graph was about to adjust to a higher level.

Ok, just because you made all the pictures at the same time doesn't really solve this. The 380k is still just the highest Y value on the graph and not actually your units sold. You would have had to pause the game just as the graph was about to change for it to be the true value.

Plus you can't have more than 100% market share. Either you have 100% of the market population or the market population is incomplete.
meRlinX_AT
Level 3 user

Post by meRlinX_AT »

Arcnor wrote:
meRlinX_AT wrote:

Ok, just because you made all the pictures at the same time doesn't really solve this. The 380k is still just the highest Y value on the graph and not actually your units sold. You would have had to pause the game just as the graph was about to change for it to be the true value.

Plus you can't have more than 100% market share. Either you have 100% of the market population or the market population is incomplete.
exact - all possibilities are listed above
real market share = 435k CPU's (see products with CPU included)
max production = 242k (not throttled)
= impossible to have 100% market share

saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

I think what Arcnor is trying to say is that your numbers and underlying premise are simply wrong.

The numbers that you see on your graphs are the highs you had in production or retail during that period (12 or 36 months), not the current numbers. As such, you are simply adding up numbers that may or may not have occurred at exactly the same moment in time and trying to make them fit a total number that is also not current. All of those numbers you wrote down and copied over to your picture were all snapshots in moments of time that most likely have very little to do with each other temporally - as a result of that, the maths does not make sense.

Also, your assumption that each piece of equipment has one of your chips in is equally wrong. Factories buy and hold any number of chips before producing, they also keep untold amounts of devices in stock before they are sold. If it is indeed the case that 435k chips were needed to produce those items during the preceding month, these chips did not need to have been bought at the same time (month) or even from the same supplier.

Basically the only thing you can say with any certainty from your pictures is a) during the current period you are the only producer and retailer of CPU's and b) over the last 12 months, during one of those months you sold a total of 380k CPU's. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can tell - the rest you wrote is then essentially fuzzy logic.
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

saffgee wrote:I think what Arcnor is trying to say is that your numbers and underlying premise are simply wrong.

The numbers that you see on your graphs are the highs you had in production or retail during that period (12 or 36 months), not the current numbers. As such, you are simply adding up numbers that may or may not have occurred at exactly the same moment in time and trying to make them fit a total number that is also not current. All of those numbers you wrote down and copied over to your picture were all snapshots in moments of time that most likely have very little to do with each other temporally - as a result of that, the maths does not make sense.

Also, your assumption that each piece of equipment has one of your chips in is equally wrong. Factories buy and hold any number of chips before producing, they also keep untold amounts of devices in stock before they are sold. If it is indeed the case that 435k chips were needed to produce those items during the preceding month, these chips did not need to have been bought at the same time (month) or even from the same supplier.

Basically the only thing you can say with any certainty from your pictures is a) during the current period you are the only producer and retailer of CPU's and b) over the last 12 months, during one of those months you sold a total of 380k CPU's. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can tell - the rest you wrote is then essentially fuzzy logic.

Exactly my point. Thank you for clearing that up. I was clearly failing.