Regional differences of cities (crops/resources)

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab

Which regional Differences should be implemented

Only Differences in Quality of/ability to raise crops
7%
Only Differences in Presence/Quantity/Quality of Resources (like Iron for example)
2%
Both (i.e. all Cities should be different with regards to presence (or quality of) resources and crops)
84%
None (all cities should be treated the the same with regards to crops/resources [=current Status Quo])
7%

Total votes: 55

LuisCorrea

Re: Regional differences of cities (crops/resources)

Post by LuisCorrea »

Hello

I think it's a very good idea.

It is like the truth that there are cities that specialize in a sector for the resources they have.

Also according to the type of soil of the city could change the color or texture of the soil.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

I remember back in Cap Plus, not only climate, rainfall matters, but there's also soil fertility right? And those don't just affecting the quality of crops, but also the yield. Hence it will make a huge cost difference if the quantity yield varied a lot. Will the difference in quantity much easier to calculate if the quality is purely determined by unit level? (with this then there might not need to have spread out cities to cover all the possible climate, rainfall, since the quality is still determined by unit level, just the yield varied a lot, thus cost per yield will be the determine factor for regional differences)
Not sure if it makes sense from the player's point of view to set up a city on a specific location just to take advantage of higher yield and quality of a single type of crop.

It seems to me that just having benefits to a single type the crop makes little difference to the company's profit bottom line.

On the other hand, if a specific location on the world map has advantages on several types of crops, gameplay-wise, it will be a greater incentive for setting up a new city just for that. But in terms of realism, we can't come up with a rationale to explain which a specific location on the world map will have so much advantages on several types of crops.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote: Not sure if it makes sense from the player's point of view to set up a city on a specific location just to take advantage of higher yield and quality of a single type of crop.

It seems to me that just having benefits to a single type the crop makes little difference to the company's profit bottom line.

On the other hand, if a specific location on the world map has advantages on several types of crops, gameplay-wise, it will be a greater incentive for setting up a new city just for that. But in terms of realism, we can't come up with a rationale to explain which a specific location on the world map will have so much advantages on several types of crops.
So it still comes down to the fundamental differences of Cap Plus and Cap 2/Lab on single worldmap vs divided worldmap and cities. This wouldn't be an issue if the 4th zoom level goes all the ways up to the whole map, and players can build farms wherever they like in the world.

As for practical issue, I feel making single type more profitable isn't the way to go either, what really make a difference will be if only several types are viable but all the others are either impractical or impossible. The difference has to be really high like in Cap Plus, where the extreme can go to 0. Another vital differences in Cap Plus is that the generated world map is kinda quick and before the loading into the game, and players have some controls over map generation instead of pure random. And the world map in Cap Lab make weather and landscape kinda important, if a map is not diversify enough, they will have serious issues in developing certain kinds of products.

On the other hand, we don't actually see the "landscape" and "water cover" inside the city map related to the worldmap in Cap Lab. Besides locations and freight cost, each map is interchangeable. I know a city map supposed to represent a very small portion of a "tile" in the world map, due to the original world map in Cap 2 really is a "world map", but if we want to take the analogy of a nation map and rural areas for farms and retail cities for sales, maybe we need to let the "scope" of city map much larger and diversify, or the number of "tiles" in the nation map much larger, so each city only covers very limited viable climate/hieght for only few types of crops? And each tiles inside the city have different fertilities? And we will have to make these information pretty easy to read and find before setting up a new city, otherwise the cost of mistake building in unsuitable location will be way too high.
Last edited by eleaza on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
David

Post by David »

Thanks for your inputs. Right now, it seems that there is no ideal solution yet to make this concept actually work well in Cap Lab. We will keep this thread open and perhaps there will be new thoughts and ideas about it in the future.
David

Post by David »

We are now revisiting this suggestion "regional differences of cities" as it has received a good number of votes in the poll.

If any of you have any new ideas regarding this, please feel free to post here and our dev team take them into consideration.