Regional differences of cities (crops/resources)

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab

Which regional Differences should be implemented

Only Differences in Quality of/ability to raise crops
7%
Only Differences in Presence/Quantity/Quality of Resources (like Iron for example)
2%
Both (i.e. all Cities should be different with regards to presence (or quality of) resources and crops)
84%
None (all cities should be treated the the same with regards to crops/resources [=current Status Quo])
7%

Total votes: 55

Belisarius

Regional differences of cities (crops/resources)

Post by Belisarius »

Well, after producing a posting in this thread: http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... f=7&t=1076
I thought that it woulkd be something that deserves its own suggestion thread:

At the moment with regards to resources and crops there are no differences between the cities. All crops camn grown everywhere and all cities have all of the resources, which are all generated with the same range of possible RNG outcomes (you might have one resource with say a quality of 90 in one city ... but there is no guarantee that the 2nd resource of the same kind discovered in this city will also have a high quality [or a similar quantity]) ... all cities are the same in these regards.

My suggestion would be to have a different climate for each city (at least in games with 2 and more cities) and make the ability to grow crops dependant on this climate (so that, for example, you couldn´t grow sugar cane or cocoa in a northern climate city like warsaw (or, only with an absolutely inferior quality, that doesn´t get much better with experience of your workers).
Maybe (for simplicities sake) divide the crop into 3 categories ... tropical crop, temnperate crop and crop that grows everywhere (also means that we also might have cold climate cities, where neither temperate nor tropical crop cpoulr be grown)
Of course the climate would ideally have to be balanced, so that the RNG initially would either select at least one city of tropical and one of the temperate climate zone (so that we have at least one city for each kind of crop) or switch it off (in a one city game).

Also it would be great to have variations of the resource quality ... so that each city (at least in 2+ city games) has one or more "special resources" for which the RNG (upon discovering a new resource of this kind) generally rolls a higher quality and/or quantity than normally (of course balanced, so that, upon starting a new game, each resource has at least one city, in which it is a "special resource").

These changes would IMHO definitely make the game more interesting (and give an even bigger incentive for the player to introduce regional production centers instead of producing goods locally)
Last edited by Belisarius on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esoteric Rogue
Level 6 user

Re: Regional differences of cities (crops/resources)

Post by Esoteric Rogue »

Just mentioning Cap+ had different rainfall, temperature, and soil quality for every plot, and the crops had various requirements.
robinh
Level 2 user

Post by robinh »

Indeed I think that is very much needed.
The crops quality should be more dependent on climate rather than your workers' experience.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Climate and soil factors were not available in Cap2 because people complained that it were tedious to locate the right farms in Cap and Cap+ and the tedious process is not essential to the game's strategy gameplay.

Having different resource advantages in different cities is something we had discussed internally before. I would suggest that you set up a poll on this and see how people react to it.
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

David wrote:Climate and soil factors were not available in Cap2 because people complained that it were tedious to locate the right farms in Cap and Cap+ and the tedious process is not essential to the game's strategy gameplay.

Having different resource advantages in different cities is something we had discussed internally before. I would suggest that you set up a poll on this and see how people react to it.
O.K., addded a Poll which includes both, weather as well as resources (so that people can vote if they want to have only one of them be different, both, or no differences between cities at all)

With regards to soil/weather in Cap ... I´m not 100% sure if I remember correctly, but wasn´t it implemented so that you had diffferences within the city map (so that, for example, you would get a perfect farm on tile x, but a not so perfect farm when you placed your farm 2 tiles away)?

Maybe the suggestion in this thread suggestion is accepted better then ... after all the suggestion is about having different cities be treated differently with regards to crops, but all tiles within the city map be treated the same (so that it makes a difference if you want to raise a crop in city A or B, but not difference whether you want to set up your farm on tile x or y on the same city map) ... much less micromanagement :)
David

Post by David »

Maybe the suggestion in this thread suggestion is accepted better then ... after all the suggestion is about having different cities be treated differently with regards to crops, but all tiles within the city map be treated the same (so that it makes a difference if you want to raise a crop in city A or B, but not difference whether you want to set up your farm on tile x or y on the same city map) ... much less micromanagement
Good suggestion. Let's see if we can get sufficient positive votes to this improvement on the current post.
robinh
Level 2 user

Post by robinh »

I also vote for unique cities regarding the presence of natural resources and ability to grow crops but regardless of the specific tile it is on.

The question is if the custom game generator can pick for example 4 cities and have all the resources and crops available.
David

Post by David »

Could you give some examples as to what cities will have advantages on what crops and what resources?

You may give 3-5 examples to illustrate that and I will forward them to the dev team for consideration.
robinh
Level 2 user

Post by robinh »

This will need some geography research. How many cities are there in the game in total?

Just guessing:

Warsaw
Crops Possible: Corn, Flax, Grapes, Strawberry, Wheat
Crops Impossible: Cocoa, Coconut, Cotton, Lemon, Rubber Plant, Sugar Cane, Tobacco
Resources: All except Aluminium and Gold
Livestock bonus

Could this be copied over from Cap+ ?
matejfore
Level 3 user

Post by matejfore »

Just to mention, I'm also missing corp/livestock disasters - where did they go?