Regional differences of cities (crops/resources)

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab

Which regional Differences should be implemented

Only Differences in Quality of/ability to raise crops
7%
Only Differences in Presence/Quantity/Quality of Resources (like Iron for example)
2%
Both (i.e. all Cities should be different with regards to presence (or quality of) resources and crops)
84%
None (all cities should be treated the the same with regards to crops/resources [=current Status Quo])
7%

Total votes: 55

matejfore
Level 3 user

Re: Regional differences of cities (crops/resources)

Post by matejfore »

I agree with robinh. This is a good feature and should be implemented. Now you pick a city with low wages and setup an agricultural empire.
I also don't agree with the supply of corps from the farm. Two units of grapes are covering all my needs of manufacturing wine and grape juice for all cities? It's the same with all corps I'm currently producing and I must say that I'm having over 60% retail share in all cities. It's unreal
Naselus
Level 2 user

Post by Naselus »

Belisarius wrote:Maybe the suggestion in this thread suggestion is accepted better then ... after all the suggestion is about having different cities be treated differently with regards to crops, but all tiles within the city map be treated the same (so that it makes a difference if you want to raise a crop in city A or B, but not difference whether you want to set up your farm on tile x or y on the same city map) ... much less micromanagement :)
I like this; tho I'd prefer it if we could grow crops everywhere, but with different quality modifiers - so while you can grow grapes in Moscow and Rome, the ones in Rome start at higher quality and improve faster.
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

David wrote:Could you give some examples as to what cities will have advantages on what crops and what resources?

You may give 3-5 examples to illustrate that and I will forward them to the dev team for consideration.
I have gathered a .txt file with some informations about boni that IMHO make sense ... most of it on a country or region base ....
most of the information stems from wikipedia, although some information required a little bit more search ... Informations about ores are mostly from http://minerals.usgs.gov
Especially Cocoa seems to be rather limited with regards of the countries which are able to grow them altogether (whereas in many/most other plants the difference should rather be in the quality/quantity of farm output).

Unfortunately the extension .txt is (strange enough) not allowed as attachment.
I will add it in another posting (either as .txt if you allow this filetype, or converted into another file format, if you tell me which file formats are allowed [the FAQ unfortunately isn´t informative in these regards])
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

phpBB forums only allow for graphic image attachment. You may try sharing the file using DropBox.
FYI: http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... f=10&t=487
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

O.K., Dropbox is something I use regularly ...
just uncommon for a forum that only graphics are allowed as attachments
(on the other hand I am more used to vBulletin boards, which allow a large range of filetypes to be attached)

Here is the link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48713005/City_Boni.txt
FukkenSaved

Post by FukkenSaved »

The reason it was tedious in Cap+ is because the game would select random land that merely met the criteria for same climate and rainfall for the location finder. It gave no consideration for soil fertility or location (the most important thing of all!) and as a result you had to zoom in and squint on the mini-map.
Every other game where you choose farmland has a very simple way of showing on the map color coded from red to green the overall crop viability for that particular crop. Neither of the Cap games have any problems with mining locations which are extremely obvious. It never had to be complicated.
David

Post by David »

For the CapLab city sim expansion pack, we are planning to implement the what the poll results in this post suggested for resources and crops.

"Both (i.e. all Cities should be different with regards to presence (or quality of) resources and crops)"

In other words, there will be different rainfall, temperature and soil fertility for each city. There will be more varieties of crops to grow as well.

And each city will only have a handful of types of natural resources, as opposite to having all natural resource types in each city as in the current version. The gameplay implication of this is the increased needs for transporting raw materials between cities, which will make the transportation system playing a greater role in the game. (And yes, we do have a plan to implement a new transportation system for this city sim expansion pack.)

If you have any suggestions on any of these, please feel free to post here.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

What kind of extra crops will be added??

And will there be a game setting for different level of natural resource dispersity?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Killerbrandt

Post by Killerbrandt »

I am also interested in what type of crops and resources will be introduced, then we can help suggest ideas to help you all.

Also, PLEASE make it all optional in the beginning :) I love how customizable this game is :)
David

Post by David »

counting wrote:What kind of extra crops will be added??
We haven't decided on the list of crops yet. Here are the possibilities. We will probably pick 20-30 of them as having too many types of crops will lead to excessive micromanagement.

Crops:

Strawberry
Pineapple
Raspberry
Watermelon
Cranberry
Grape
Honeydew
Blueberry
Kiwi Fruit
Blackberry
Passion Fruit