Seeking feedback

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Seeking feedback

Post by eleaza »

munosonto wrote:I have significant issues with wage rate and unemployment rate in towns that I built. Sometimes it takes me 20-30 years to get wage back to some acceptable level.

Wage rate seems to be too much correlated with excess housing. I constantly have issues with wage rate at 30 even though my towns have over 150% universities and all research at 99 so basically I have minimum wage in highly developed environment.

Maybe the issue is that I use only 1 company so it doesnt have single factory in some towns?

Beside that, I cant get Real World mod to work with it as it says some image is missing even though I copied from mod kit into mod folder. Building cities would be much more fun with mod as it adds a lot to variety of stores possible to put out.

Edit: I cannot upload sav game as it says extention sav is not allowed.
Someone made a CES DLC compatible RealWorld Mod
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... 120#p17688

You need to compress/archive the save file to .zip format to be attached. (or use free online storage website, and use links)
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
munosonto

Post by munosonto »

Thank you Eleaza, now it worked.

1) I play super easy game as I want to build towns.
2) Its only one company so I can place stores where I want (you can do that as mayor with other companies too). But being only 1 company means there is no need for many factories, at least not yet in this save game as towns are not yet too big.
3) The biggest issue I face is wage rate. It falls so easily whenever I build new appartments and then takes me too long to get it back.
- Its no inflation, which probably influences wage rate a lot as there is no need for constat increase in reasearch spending which then gives constant boost to economy, but rather research is static amount.
- Wage rate seems to be influenced by amount of excess appartments, and boost that you get when your reasearch goes from 30 to 99 as increased exports seems to be the driving factor to faster gdp growth which sometimes reduces unemployment and increases wage rate (although I constantly experience that during expansion my unemployment grows and wage rate drops)
- If you have constant research, and build new appartments, wage rate drops. You can have extremely good town with 150% coverage with universities and all of them with reaserch at 99 and still have wage rate of 30.
- Building excess appartments can in RL also create crises, but what I experience is that after adding only 6 big appartments to town of 1 mil, my wage rate drops as there is no new research increase. Building new universities took me only so far, as you get to have a town with too many universities later lose the power of building more to stimulate economy.

To sum up, wage rate seems to be too much influenced by available housing and growth of economy, rather then by already achieved economic standard (if you are good in technology you should make money rather then make money only when you are becoming good in technology).
Attachments
PLAY_003.zip
(5.14 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Actually the wage rate is primarily affected by the city competitive rating and the unemployment rate.

I loaded your save game and the wage rate in the first city is actually quite high.
PinoX7
Level 2 user

Post by PinoX7 »

I have a few suggestions which I think would improve the game-play.

Issues:
-Everything seems to go into a depression fairly early,
-There is usually one city with the lowest land-value which will always get 99% of the factories (at least for the first 30 years of game-play)
-Not sure how to find which cities are best (or most competitive) to research semi-products in. (Paper, Corn Syrup, ect.)

Suggestions:
- I would like to know how to better stimulate the economy to prevent depressions, and make it a feature that triggers a bit later in the game if you do nothing about it, grow too fast, or not invest in city infrastructure.
- A Political HQ, and City Branches (to generate donations and boost party approval) These could be similar to how media firms operate, The more money you put into them, the higher quality returns you get.
- Lobbying Groups (yes I want more $$$) with goals like more police, more schools, lower taxes, ect ect
- Can crime be a thing? effects sales, $ loss from theft/damage, lower property values (yes a good thing in some cases)
- Gigafactories. How fun would it be to have a Tire, Engine, Chassis, Car, Motorcycle factory + Warehouse space, all in one giant building? Or an every beverage factory, (build one in every city).
- I would also like a lot more 'people' in the game, I have always liked football simulations and the feeling when drafting new talent. Maybe each store/factory could have their own individual managers? This could add a lot to micro-managing, but It would be pretty cool to get a manager for one of your many faculties, investing in stock, and maybe moving to a competitors business. Maybe one day he moves to upper management at the headquarters? I think this could add a lot to immersion, but I am not sure what the game engines limitations are.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

PinoX7 wrote:I have a few suggestions which I think would improve the game-play.

Issues:
-There is usually one city with the lowest land-value which will always get 99% of the factories (at least for the first 30 years of game-play)
-Not sure how to find which cities are best (or most competitive) to research semi-products in. (Paper, Corn Syrup, ect.)

Suggestions:
- I would like to know how to better stimulate the economy to prevent depressions, and make it a feature that triggers a bit later in the game if you do nothing about it, grow too fast, or not invest in city infrastructure.
- A Political HQ, and City Branches (to generate donations and boost party approval) These could be similar to how media firms operate, The more money you put into them, the higher quality returns you get.
- Lobbying Groups (yes I want more $$$) with goals like more police, more schools, lower taxes, ect ect
- Can crime be a thing? effects sales, $ loss from theft/damage, lower property values (yes a good thing in some cases)
- Gigafactories. How fun would it be to have a Tire, Engine, Chassis, Car, Motorcycle factory + Warehouse space, all in one giant building? Or an every beverage factory, (build one in every city).
- I would also like a lot more 'people' in the game, I have always liked football simulations and the feeling when drafting new talent. Maybe each store/factory could have their own individual managers? This could add a lot to micro-managing, but It would be pretty cool to get a manager for one of your many faculties, investing in stock, and maybe moving to a competitors business. Maybe one day he moves to upper management at the headquarters? I think this could add a lot to immersion, but I am not sure what the game engines limitations are.
Mid-level managers are interesting idea. Even just some random name generated to representing such store. Perhaps we can even further specialize stores with different AI personality of the mid-level managers
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
PinoX7
Level 2 user

Post by PinoX7 »

Yes Mid-Level managers would be interesting, I would kind of like them to have a wealth meter like other persons in the game.

There is a few other suggestions:
-Companies where you personally buy more than 50% should show up in "financial actions". You do get a message that says you are now in control of the company, but you can't do anything since it does not count as a subsidiary.
-Nobody sells stocks, Pretty much everyone is buying up a company till its 100% owned and no longer publically traded, I think this could be fixed with some kind of stop-loss script on stock-holders. Also companies issuing more stock to the public would help a lot. I think with the banking and finance update there may be less money dumped into the stock market holdings so that could fix the problem.
-Let companies become Real-Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), They can only invest in real-estate properties, they are tax exempt, and have to provide 90% of their income as dividends http://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/08/reit-tax.asp (shareholders pay the tax)
-Shipping companies and the option to service your own fleet of trucks to reduce freight costs. I am kind of thinking that you would build a depot, and issue routes for trucking, factories would use your services automatically if they are buying between the route you set up between two areas.
-The ability to transfer contracts you control. Like when you open a new warehouse, you can satisfy the demand through their (typically customers rarely know which warehouse their products are coming from, so you should be able to supply it from anywhere) And You could also buy a factory that produces the same products as you, and close it down, but not lose the contracts since you can supply them from your factories. As far as I know this is one of the main reasons companies buy out their competitors.

*these are just ideas I am throwing out there for modders or the developer, on concepts to improve game-play, I have no expectations for any or all of them to be implemented*
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

I would recommend you to try starting games with lower difficulty levels. The low difficulty levels should make it easier to grow the economy of the city.
The city with the lowest land value tend to be also the city with the lowest wage rate. For manufacturing, low land costs and labor costs are huge advantages.
For semi-products, there is no differentiation in research efficiency and therefore all the cities are the same.