Need some info/advice regarding the stock market.

General discussions and Technical Support for Capitalism II.
confu$ed_tycoon

Need some info/advice regarding the stock market.

Post by confu$ed_tycoon »

I am new to Capitalism II, I bought it about a week ago. Love the game, play a few hours each evening. I have played through the Entrepreneur's Campaign and the Capitalist's Campaign up to scenario 7, Merger Mania. I have replayed the same Stock Market learning scenario a couple of times, but I still fail to understand strategies behind controlling another corporation. What good does it do to my corporation when I purchase shares using his corporation's cash?

Also how can I utilize my person's cash to assist in merging? In the scenario I begin with $325,000,000 in personal cash and I have no idea what to do with it. I shore hope somebody can assist me. Thank you in advance.

P.S. Where can I purchase Capitalism Lab without all the other games included? Thank you.
therealevan
Level 4 user

Re: Need some info/advice regarding the stock market.

Post by therealevan »

Personal cash & player salary is a cosmetic feature and doesn't make any impact on the game (other than your company is paying your salary!)

As far as the stock market goes,

Just like in real life, buying shares at X value (low) and then selling shares at X value (high) you will make a profitable gain which you can use to either reinvest into your company or buy stock elsewhere. On the other hand, you can slowly build up a position in a competitor and over time once you reach a certain percentage you can buy out that competitor with a stock takeover and eliminate them from the game.
confu$ed_tycoon

Post by confu$ed_tycoon »

I appreciate your reply. Okay but I still fail to understand this: I purchase over 50% of the stocks in another corporation with my personal cash so I gain control of that corporation's funds. What can I do with their money to help my corp?
shmidtk

Post by shmidtk »

Personal money gives you 10 times more score. Paying salary/dividends is useful utilisation of capital.

You can transfer your personal money toward your own company:
1. Issue stocks
2. Buy it for personal money
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Because the company owned by personal funds is parallel with your own company, you can also use insider stock trading trick to gain more funds.Targeting a company with few public shares left, buy cheap with your own company's money, using personal holding company to artificially increase the price, your own company then can sell back to the public with profit.

This is kind of using loopholes though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Parkerrush92
Level 4 user

Post by Parkerrush92 »

confu$ed_tycoon wrote:I appreciate your reply. Okay but I still fail to understand this: I purchase over 50% of the stocks in another corporation with my personal cash so I gain control of that corporation's funds. What can I do with their money to help my corp?

A. leave the cash so that the company can use it for growth strategies.
B. Invest the cash. ( If you're doing a stock market scenario, this option includes something like using company B's cash to buy defensive positions in competitors of company b or purchasing the competition all together.
Parkerrush92
Level 4 user

Post by Parkerrush92 »

Also, just thought of this, albeit this is more of a role playing scenario. If you use company b's cash to takeover your own company a, depending on the investing structure of company b (that is to say, number of investors and %stake.) Some new opportunities might present themselves if company a was to be acquired by your company b. Just a thought that I had.
Parkerrush92
Level 4 user

Post by Parkerrush92 »

Parkerrush92 wrote:Also, just thought of this, albeit this is more of a role playing scenario. If you use company b's cash to takeover your own company a, depending on the investing structure of company b (that is to say, number of investors and %stake.) Some new opportunities might present themselves if company a was to be acquired by your company b. Just a thought that I had.

I suppose that in real life this occurs when company B has a superior brand.