Cities in the Game

General discussions and Technical Support for Capitalism II.
nickbii

Cities in the Game

Post by nickbii »

One of the several dozen games I've started included my birthplace of Detroit. Others have included my current hometown of Cleveland. Having a game with both of those would be great, particularly if I could avoid having half the world be Australia (most of my games include Adelaide, and the current game also includes Sydney).

Is there any way to manipulate which cities get picked for the game? Or have I been spoiled by Paradox's incredibly moddable games?
counting
Level 8 user

Re: Cities in the Game

Post by counting »

Well, in Cap Lab version you can do that with script, Cap II is more than a decade old, far older than the modding fad for "recent" games.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
nickbii

Post by nickbii »

counting wrote:Well, in Cap Lab version you can do that with script, Cap II is more than a decade old, far older than the modding fad for "recent" games.
What games were you playing a decade ago?

Paradox games have been designed to be insanely moddable since the company started releasing them in '00. map editors have been present in the Civ series since the late 90s, SimCity since '92, Railroad Tycoon since '01, etc.

Has anyone figured out the algorithm on this?
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

nickbii wrote:
counting wrote:Well, in Cap Lab version you can do that with script, Cap II is more than a decade old, far older than the modding fad for "recent" games.
What games were you playing a decade ago?

Paradox games have been designed to be insanely moddable since the company started releasing them in '00. map editors have been present in the Civ series since the late 90s, SimCity since '92, Railroad Tycoon since '01, etc.

Has anyone figured out the algorithm on this?
You can hack the old CapII file,and edit cities,if you really want to. But it's easier just get the current Cap Lab anyway. It's much refined with all the functions you need without hacking game files.

And Back in the days, its not a fad, what you bring up are good examples but not majority of the games came out in that era, thousands others didn't. You see some black swans in a zoo, doesn't mean all the swans in the world are black.
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
nickbii

Post by nickbii »

For me to get Cap Lab I'd have to pay for Windows and Parallels or VMWARE Fusion. I'm currently running Capitalism II because Virtual programming ported it to Mac OS X. Since Virtual programming consists of like two guys, their customer support sucks so I didn't even bother trying to figure out whether they had a forum.

I must have been seriously spoiled by the games I played in that eras. The only ones I've ever been seriously addicted to that didn't have at least a Map Editor since '95 were the Capitalisms that made it to the Mac side, the Imperialism series and Tropico. Tropico barely counts because the map was so customizable you generally didn't need one.