What's the point?

General discussions and Technical Support for Capitalism II.
Jon12345

What's the point?

Post by Jon12345 »

I bought Capitalism and the labs addon a few days ago. Went through the Capitalism tutorial. All fine and good. But, I kinda got a bit bored. Maybe I have missed the point or something. All I was doing was putting supermarkets into areas and adding some random products. But that was pretty much it!

I want to like this products as I potentially see it as a great educational tool for business related stuff. But so far, I am not quite getting it.

Anyone care to provide some insight for me?

Thanks,

Jon
counting
Level 8 user

Re: What's the point?

Post by counting »

Have you play through the Cap II single player missions? There are 20 of them, and most of them contain part of the focus you can do in game. Such as tech focus, using farm products, high profit margin goods, market survey, price competition, even real state investment, etc.

Cap lab has even more complex economy simulation, more cities, more AIs, more products and many more other features. If you feel it too easy, just set 30 AIs, 7 cities, 1 seaport products with low quality, and give AI high capital and high competitive. You will find it quite similar as running a real business. You simply can't be idle seaport product retailers under this type of setup.

Or perhaps tell us what exactly do you wish to use Cap as teaching aid. Basic supply and demand concept or what? IMO Cap is best as an introduction to financial report understanding, and start-up company practices.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

Jon12345 wrote:I bought Capitalism and the labs addon a few days ago. Went through the Capitalism tutorial. All fine and good. But, I kinda got a bit bored. Maybe I have missed the point or something. All I was doing was putting supermarkets into areas and adding some random products. But that was pretty much it!

I want to like this products as I potentially see it as a great educational tool for business related stuff. But so far, I am not quite getting it.

Thanks,

Jon
After you build your stores and have a nice profit the next step is to manufacture your own products and enter new product categories. From there your goal should be to increase profitability. As the market changes adjust your business operations and you will find hours and hours of entertainment.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Even just changing the competence of local competitors to very high, could force you to do more.
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
SPX Sales

Post by SPX Sales »

WilliamMGary wrote:
Jon12345 wrote:I bought Capitalism and the labs addon a few days ago. Went through the Capitalism tutorial. All fine and good. But, I kinda got a bit bored. Maybe I have missed the point or something. All I was doing was putting supermarkets into areas and adding some random products. But that was pretty much it!

Thanks,

Jon
After you build your stores and have a nice profit the next step is to manufacture your own products and enter new product categories. From there your goal should be to increase profitability. As the market changes adjust your business operations and you will find hours and hours of entertainment.

Thank you for the info.
Sales is the fuel that powers the machine.