Is there a way to make commercial real estate viable?

General discussions and Technical Support for Capitalism II.
lokren

Is there a way to make commercial real estate viable?

Post by lokren »

I have tried a few times in the past to do commercial real estate games where the you attempt to survive just doing real estate... and it appears that it is a complete loser's game. There does not appear to be any real upside since you profit margins are so ridiculously poor... A $500,000 convenience store can net around 2 mill in profits a year, but a 10 million dollar commercial building can only net around 500k to 700k... if you are lucky and the games manic depressive market conditions allow you to keep any type of occupancy.
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Re: Is there a way to make commercial real estate viable?

Post by Spac3y »

lokren wrote:I have tried a few times in the past to do commercial real estate games where the you attempt to survive just doing real estate... and it appears that it is a complete loser's game. There does not appear to be any real upside since you profit margins are so ridiculously poor... A $500,000 convenience store can net around 2 mill in profits a year, but a 10 million dollar commercial building can only net around 500k to 700k... if you are lucky and the games manic depressive market conditions allow you to keep any type of occupancy.
Hmm. My commercial buildings make about 5m a year each so Im not quite sure why yours are so low ?
therealevan
Level 4 user

Post by therealevan »

Well if you're playing on CapLab, you can raise the prices of rent for each unit of real estate. So if there is a huge demand for commerical real estate, you can raise the rates to whatever you'd like for increase revenue. I'm not sure how it works in the cap2 base game.
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Post by Spac3y »

613% difficulty, commercials making $5m a year pretty much
$5m a commercial building pretty much
$5m a commercial building pretty much
613%difficulty_commercial.png (1.89 MiB) Viewed 10295 times
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

lokren wrote:I have tried a few times in the past to do commercial real estate games where the you attempt to survive just doing real estate... and it appears that it is a complete loser's game. There does not appear to be any real upside since you profit margins are so ridiculously poor... A $500,000 convenience store can net around 2 mill in profits a year, but a 10 million dollar commercial building can only net around 500k to 700k... if you are lucky and the games manic depressive market conditions allow you to keep any type of occupancy.
Are you referring to the Capitalism 2 having this issue, or Capitalism Lab (or Cap Lab versions before CES DLC)?

Back in Cap 2, real estate have to be really careful picking the really high land value area.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me