Has anyone here still play the old Capitalism II?

General discussions and Technical Support for Capitalism II.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Has anyone here still play the old Capitalism II?

Post by eleaza »

I start playing Capitalism series from Capitalism II first, and actually only know of it after Capitalism Lab was released. And I was told to have quite good instinct about how to run businesses in Capitalism games. And I soon learned that an update version of Capitalism Lab is already out, so I tried it, but not finding it too much different than Capitalism II, however at least the city view is much large thanks to higher resolution screen. So I didn't pay attention to Capitalism Lab development for a long time, and just kept playing II for most of the time. However, after I accidentally found out the closed beta and tried it for the first time, I realized how much has changed in Lab, and get really excited about it (so I rant a lot and possibly over sharing too much :roll: )

Although I still like the old II a lot, has anyone here still played II like I do?
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
rlilje
Level 2 user

Re: Has anyone here still play the old Capitalism II?

Post by rlilje »

I regularly played Capitalism II up until about 2013. I lost my original install disk in a move and had recently built a new PC so I went searching on the net to hopefully purchase a new copy - this is when I stumbled upon Capitalism Lab and I haven't looked back since. I will always have fond memories of Cap II but can't imagine giving up all of the added features in Lab which make the game play so much deeper and complex.

I am hopeful with the recent resurgence of tycoon and simulations games such as Prison Architect and City Skylines being so successful that it might show a market for a true next gen version of Capitalism. Don't get me wrong - I love what has been done with Lab and I appreciate the work being put in by Enlight - I will continue to purchase DLC etc. I would just love to see what could be done with a modern UI built from scratch and a simulation core programmed with modern compute in mind... not to mention the potential behind a mobile version now that ARM CPU's are getting pretty powerful.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Nostalgia for the old days is probably one of my reasons to still play Capitalism II from time to time. The simpler game, with exploits that I am familiar with that can make me tens of billions in one product class along, somehow just make me feels good. Also II has multiplayer option, although very buggy, still functional at certain point. And I just like some of the Capitalist campaigns, it's more of a story, like taking over a failed company and reviving it, unlike in Capitalism Lab required to start from the very beginning.

And as I said before I only appreciated Capitalism Lab much later after new DLCs have come up. Set itself more apart than II. The core game is more or less the same deal. But I value game play and good game mechanics more than pretty interface. It doesn't have to be like running a city looking like City Skyline, or Simcity, I don't think that's necessary. Capitalism games are real hardcore, I don't think appealing to casual gamers is a good option, it would put too much money developing something that only make the game to lag. To me, Capitalism games are entrepreneur accounting simulation sandbox with a decent enough micro-to-macro-economic model. For a mobile game, I don't think it will work.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

eleaza wrote:Nostalgia for the old days is probably one of my reasons to still play Capitalism II from time to time. The simpler game, with exploits that I am familiar with that can make me tens of billions in one product class along, somehow just make me feels good. Also II has multiplayer option, although very buggy, still functional at certain point. And I just like some of the Capitalist campaigns, it's more of a story, like taking over a failed company and reviving it, unlike in Capitalism Lab required to start from the very beginning.

And as I said before I only appreciated Capitalism Lab much later after new DLCs have come up. Set itself more apart than II. The core game is more or less the same deal. But I value game play and good game mechanics more than pretty interface. It doesn't have to be like running a city looking like City Skyline, or Simcity, I don't think that's necessary. Capitalism games are real hardcore, I don't think appealing to casual gamers is a good option, it would put too much money developing something that only make the game to lag. To me, Capitalism games are entrepreneur accounting simulation sandbox with a decent enough micro-to-macro-economic model. For a mobile game, I don't think it will work.
The Cap Lab performance on a modern PC is amazing :-)
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Post by Spac3y »

I feel old, I played from the very original Capitalism... :o

This genre of sim managements has always been my class for gaming over the last 25 (pc years). I have tried, and played, pretty much every type of sim in this genre, and yet, nothing came close to capitalism 1 / 2.

I also lost my original discs where I moved , something I was gutted about. I was absolutely over the moon when I stumbled accross Caplab, even better was to see there was a community, there was modders and there was the devs still looking to push out new stuff.

I will always buy the DLC`s, just to support the Devs that put the time and effort keeping it alive, even if I might not play one , or I think one may be not great (which theyre arent but you never know :D)

Just keep up the great work all.

(Multi store levels just made my world, I had a dream of those for years, and it came true :D yay)
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

One thing about Capitalism II (or even older ones, like Capitalism Plus I only played once or twice) I also like is that since they rarely or never get patched (and normally compatible with the original saves), I can reload very old cities, and relived those memories. Even keep playing a very long running city for years (actual year in real life).

Capitalism Lab has more features, but always breaks compatibility with major updates. I have to keep backup old game folders and switch them around to load old games.
nickbii

Post by nickbii »

Still play Cap II a lot. CapLab isn't out for Mac. :cry:
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

nickbii wrote:Still play Cap II a lot. CapLab isn't out for Mac. :cry:
Then you missed out a lot. Lab is very much different especially with the new DLC. There's really no way to run windows games in Mac?
nickbii

Post by nickbii »

eleaza wrote:
Then you missed out a lot. Lab is very much different especially with the new DLC. There's really no way to run windows games in Mac?
Yeah, but then I'd have to buy Windows, there's free emulators for a standard x86 processor, but you do need the software or it's got nothing to emulate. The LINUX geek answer WINE, does not work because apparently CapLab does not like WINE:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... ?f=7&t=865

If they want my money they'll get it ported by Virtual Programming. Which VP would probably be happy to do if Cap2 had made them some more money.

So I'll just have to live with an old-ass version which still has that weird jewelry store bug.

:cry:
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

nickbii wrote:
eleaza wrote:
Yeah, but then I'd have to buy Windows, there's free emulators for a standard x86 processor, but you do need the software or it's got nothing to emulate. The LINUX geek answer WINE, does not work because apparently CapLab does not like WINE:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... ?f=7&t=865

If they want my money they'll get it ported by Virtual Programming. Which VP would probably be happy to do if Cap2 had made them some more money.

So I'll just have to live with an old-ass version which still has that weird jewelry store bug.

:cry:
That post and links only said about Capitalism II, not Capitalism lab itself with WINE, but I never used any of it, so no idea if actually work or not. And did you actually tried the emulator and see if it works for Capitalism Lab or not?

BTW, the jewelry bug actually got patched in 1.09 I think. But still I think it's windows only.
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... f=8&t=2971