Noticing a bug: Training MFG unit lvl 8 100% utilization

Subsidiary DLC for Capitalism Lab
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Noticing a bug: Training MFG unit lvl 8 100% utilization

Post by WilliamMGary »

I have a number of factories where I have two MFG units at 100% utilization and training budget maxed out but the lvl for only one never goes to 9. Anyone else noticed this?

Save Game: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlhX1T2J2ByrjfMcxnun_YK5e3Fz3g
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Noticing a bug: Training MFG unit lvl 8 100% utilization

Post by eleaza »

WilliamMGary wrote:I have a number of factories where I have two MFG units at 100% utilization and training budget maxed out but the lvl for only one never goes to 9. Anyone else noticed this?

At least give some descriptions or screenshots to show which factories you think are having the issue, It's impossible to flip through that many buildings already exist in the save game with all the lags.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

eleaza wrote:
WilliamMGary wrote:I have a number of factories where I have two MFG units at 100% utilization and training budget maxed out but the lvl for only one never goes to 9. Anyone else noticed this?

At least give some descriptions or screenshots to show which factories you think are having the issue, It's impossible to flip through that many buildings already exist in the save game with all the lags.
Go to any factory that has MFG 9 and a MFG 8 and just watch it never go to 9
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

WilliamMGary wrote:
eleaza wrote:

Go to any factory that has MFG 9 and a MFG 8 and just watch it never go to 9
so which one? Each factory has a description of which # it is.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

I've painfully look through all 71 of them. And I didn't find anything wrong at a glance. And I look several what you said with both lv9 and lv8 factory. I see they either

1) Don't have training budget, so as expected won't level up obviously, like factory 40
William_factory40_before.jpg
William_factory40_before.jpg (204.84 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
2) On its way up from level 8 to level 9, still under training, like factory 29
William_factory29_before.jpg
William_factory29_before.jpg (197.65 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
--------------------------------

I let the game runing for about a month, and set all the factories with training budget full, and here is the result
1) Factory 40's manufacturing unit start to level up, as expected when it has training budget.
William_factory40_after.jpg
William_factory40_after.jpg (203.18 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
2) Factory 29's manufacturing unit continue to level up, notice the number of blue uniform workers is now 4, instead of 3.
William_factory29_after.jpg
William_factory29_after.jpg (194.01 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
By my estimation, since about 1 or 1.5 worker is trained from red to blue. So in factory 29, the remaining 20 workers would take a year or a year and half to be trained and this unit will reach level 9.

I don't see obvious issues here. I think the problem is only because the left side unit has priority over right side unit, hence it leveled up faster. And since you are constantly researching technology, once applied, the level 9 unit drop to level 8 (or lower again), and on their way training back up, the technology update again, thus making right side unit a little behind left side unit from time to time.
Last edited by eleaza on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

eleaza wrote:I've painfully look through all 71 of them. And I didn't find anything wrong at a glance. And I look several what you said with both lv9 and lv8 factory. I see they either

1) Don't have training budget, so as expected won't level up obviously, like factory 40
William_factory40_before.jpg
2) On its way up from level 8 to level 9, still under training, like factory 29
William_factory29_before.jpg
--------------------------------

I let the game runing for about a month, and set all the factories with training budget full, and here is the result
1) Factory 40's manufacturing unit continue to level up, notice the blue guy is now 4, instead of 3.
William_factory40_after.jpg
2) Factory 29's manufacturing unit start to level up, as expected when it has training budget.
William_factory29_after.jpg
By my estimation, since about 1 or 1.5 worker is trained from red to blue. So in factory 29, the remaining 20 workers would take a year or a year and half to be trained and this unit will reach level 9.

I don't see obvious issues here. I think the problem is only because the left side unit has priority over right side unit, hence it leveled up faster. And since you are constantly researching technology, once applied, the level 9 unit drop to level 8 (or lower again), and on their way training back up, the technology update again, thus making right side unit a little behind left side unit from time to time.
So new tech affects training levels? So new tech is on a 2 year schedule so if it would take 1.5 years to fully train so i should move new tech to 3 years instead of two.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

WilliamMGary wrote: So new tech affects training levels?
Yes.

Isn't this mentioned somewhere in tutorials, I forgot. If not, this should definitely be added in tutorials, along with the use of product detail screen, brand and advertisement information in corporation detail, firm list, financial reports screen, etc. I've seen a lot of players don't notice them for years.
WilliamMGary wrote: So new tech is on a 2 year schedule so if it would take 1.5 years to fully train so i should move new tech to 3 years instead of two.
A longer research period also drops the manufacturing unit level more (depend on a lot of factors, like the R&D level, the tech level compare to the whole world top tech in production, etc). Like a 10 years period of research from 30 tech to say 500 tech, will definitely knocked down the level 9 to say like level 3 or level 4, even back to level 1 (like everyone is still below 100, and the research overshot by a mile). Hence the real issue is could the production handle the demand during the period training back up to level 9 (or even if the unit can be trained back up to level 9 between the research period). If it can, there isn't an issue here, say if a level 5 manufacturing can handle the total demand already, a full training budget isn't even necessary, a reasonable training budget to maintain the manufacturing level to be at least level 5, and from time to time reaching level 6 or 7, anticipating the upcoming tech advance will be fine. However if say the total demand exceeds even level 9 can provide, in that case, more factories are the obvious answer, and warehouses are needed to assist the periodic technology "disruption" in manufacturing level.

Many players don't realize, warehouse is so crucial in maintaining a smooth operation in the supply chain when everything is running at peak efficiency and the function in preventing fluctuation, especially the storage unit, lots of storage units for buffering if necessary. Warehouse is not just for integrating multiple sources into one (which isn't that important if they are integrated in retail store. With enough retail space, which we now have with multiple level retail store, the integration doesn't need to be in warehouse, if it's just two source factories for a single product).
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

I finally found where I've seen applying new technology decreases manufacturing unit level. It's way back in Capitalism II manual at page 55 and 56 (in the pdf 28/74 page).
Application of techonology to Production_Capitalism_II.jpg
Application of techonology to Production_Capitalism_II.jpg (362.83 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
And it's an exact copy word by word from the even older Capitalism Plus manual.
Application of techonology to Production.jpg
Application of techonology to Production.jpg (268.81 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
But the interface (of applying new technology to manufacturing unit) changes over time. In Capitalism Lab the options are slightly different from Capitalism II and Plus, and the warning of "manufacturing unit level will be down-graded" only appears when technology disruption is turned on, and using the "Upgrade Tech" button in the factory manufacturing unit (it will pop-up for every manufacturing unit, and it's quite annoying to check every single one)
Application of techonology to Production_in_game_screen.jpg
Application of techonology to Production_in_game_screen.jpg (454.96 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
This warning won't show up if using "Apply Tech" button in the R&D center (whether choosing "Yes" or "Yes All"). I guess it's to prevent the warning for popping-up every time clicking Yes.

Personally, I think a general warning about unit down-graded might be suitable, or explain it more clearly in tutorials.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

It does show the warning message - see the below screenshot. But you have to disable "Auto apply R&D results to factories" on the game option menu.
Attachments
downgrade.png
downgrade.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1340 times
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:It does show the warning message - see the below screenshot. But you have to disable "Auto apply R&D results to factories" on the game option menu.
Yes, it does show, but only with "Upgrade Tech" button in the factory. This warning message won't show with "Apply Tech" button from the R&D center. With "Apply Tech", it will only show this. (After this screen, clicking Yes or Yes All, that's it, tech is apply to manufacturing unit, if players don't pay attention, they won't notice the change of manufacturing unit level)
Application of techonology to Production_in_game_with_Yes_ALL.jpg
Application of techonology to Production_in_game_with_Yes_ALL.jpg (202.42 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
If players never use "Upgrade Tech" in the factory (which is very likely, since they have to click every single manufacturing unit with "Upgrade Tech" button), they will not notice the "down-grade" warning at all, disable auto apply or not. (I've replay the Capitalism Lab tutorial, and it doesn't teach how to use either apply tech or upgrade tech button)