Increasing the number of competitors past 30

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
Hartenberg

Re: Increasing the number of competitors past 30

Post by Hartenberg »

I think you dont need more companies, you need bigger shops to increase competition.

As it is now, you can only sell 4 products in your shop. Which shop only sells 4 products? Not even the apple shop doesn't.

More space to sell more products means a higher number of products can be sold, so a wider range of competition.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Hartenberg wrote:I think you dont need more companies, you need bigger shops to increase competition.

As it is now, you can only sell 4 products in your shop. Which shop only sells 4 products? Not even the apple shop doesn't.

More space to sell more products means a higher number of products can be sold, so a wider range of competition.
Actually it depends on the retail cost per "sales line" and setup cost. If it remain the same, the result is just fewer retail store on the maps. Right now a lot of products won't get established unless the upstream industries/raw materials ecosystem are established, or everyone would be rely on few seaport materials. Often it would make higher difficulty game, mostly empty of corporation manufacturing products for the first 3 to 5 years.

The problem is even high starting capital AIs would not invest in raw materials and rush training to provide higher quality upstream industries early on, and it's not the lack of competitions, but AI's unwilling, or unable to take risk and expand as it needs to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
Hartenberg

Post by Hartenberg »

counting wrote:
Hartenberg wrote:I think you dont need more companies, you need bigger shops to increase competition.

Actually it depends on the retail cost per "sales line" and setup cost. If it remain the same, the result is just fewer retail store on the maps. Right now a lot of products won't get established unless the upstream industries/raw materials ecosystem are established, or everyone would be rely on few seaport materials. Often it would make higher difficulty game, mostly empty of corporation manufacturing products for the first 3 to 5 years.

The problem is even high starting capital AIs would not invest in raw materials and rush training to provide higher quality upstream industries early on, and it's not the lack of competitions, but AI's unwilling, or unable to take risk and expand as it needs to.
I Wouldn't mind less retail stores on the map tbh. I recently played a game where after ten years there was no more room to expand any further into a city, because all the spaces were taken by shops.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Hartenberg wrote:
counting wrote:

I Wouldn't mind less retail stores on the map tbh. I recently played a game where after ten years there was no more room to expand any further into a city, because all the spaces were taken by shops.
What are the numbers of cities and AIs in your setup? IMO, around 3 to 5 AIs per city ratio is usually reasonable. A ratio greater than 6 will get crowded, and greater than 10, it will be everywhere. And it would help if some of the AIs are real estate focused (only setting for AIs to have more than high starting capital will they appear), since they stay out of city center area and create their own mini-towns. Players can lean on their town edges, or just build their own mini-towns (or control AI corporation and get their empty land to build on).
Hartenberg

Post by Hartenberg »

What are the numbers of cities and AIs in your setup? IMO, around 3 to 5 AIs per city ratio is usually reasonable. A ratio greater than 6 will get crowded, and greater than 10, it will be everywhere. And it would help if some of the AIs are real estate focused (only setting for AIs to have more than high starting capital will they appear), since they stay out of city center area and create their own mini-towns. Players can lean on their town edges, or just build their own mini-towns (or control AI corporation and get their empty land to build on).
30 AI's and 7 cities. I havent seen any AI's creating mini towns so far in any of my games, so how do I get AI's to be estate focused?
infoscott
Level 3 user

Post by infoscott »

Hartenberg wrote:

30 AI's and 7 cities. I havent seen any AI's creating mini towns so far in any of my games, so how do I get AI's to be estate focused?
You can manually set the AI starting capital to be Very High in the game settings.

Or if you like playing with a script file, the following lines of code would work:

Code: Select all

[COMPETITORS]
Real Estate Focused Companies=3
It doesn't have to be three, it would be however many you would like to be RE focused.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Hartenberg wrote:
Set Competitor Start-up Capital at High/Very High for them to show up (at most 3 real state focused AIs). And the higher the Competitor Aggressiveness setting the sooner they start to build mini town like area (lowest aggressiveness AI might take a decade to start its business)

Or as infoscott suggested using script.
Hartenberg

Post by Hartenberg »

Alright, thanks