r&d issue - invention year

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
czurcz
Level 2 user

r&d issue - invention year

Post by czurcz »

Hi,

If I define the year for ALL the products (except for RAW and PSEMI) to be invented via R&D, not all of them appear in my R&D, even if I wait to the year when the product should be available to be invented. I tried it on the basic database. I changed just the Product_Types.dbf file, did not touch anything in other files.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

edit: am using ver. 3.5.12
Greetz from Polska!
foomanchu89
Level 2 user

Re: r&d issue - invention year

Post by foomanchu89 »

Hi,

You must also set the INVENT_YR column to no a NON-ZERO value.
czurcz
Level 2 user

Post by czurcz »

foomanchu89 wrote:Hi,

Yes, I know. I had done it for all products too.
Greetz from Polska!
foomanchu89
Level 2 user

Post by foomanchu89 »

czurcz wrote:
foomanchu89 wrote:Hi,

Yes, I know. I had done it for all products too.
Can you attach or upload your product_types.dbf? Its usually something small, I had this same issue you are describing but I was able to fix it so surely your file should work.
czurcz
Level 2 user

Post by czurcz »

foomanchu89 wrote:
Can you attach or upload your product_types.dbf? Its usually something small, I had this same issue you are describing but I was able to fix it so surely your file should work.

Here you are.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcqdisdr3zrhh ... s.DBF?dl=0
Greetz from Polska!
foomanchu89
Level 2 user

Post by foomanchu89 »

czurcz wrote:
foomanchu89 wrote:

Here you are.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcqdisdr3zrhh ... s.DBF?dl=0
I looked over the file and can't see anything that would be causing this issue. In your original post you mentioned that only some of the products were not appearing, which implies that some were indeed working correct? If so, what products specifically don't appear in the R&D list? In my experience with modding for research year and the invent years, some products do not behave as expected. An example is the Desktop and Notebook Computer. If you set their can invent year and invent years, the game seems to show "Nil" for when those two products can be researched which means that its a bug preventing those two products from being researched at all. The fix to said bug is to provide those products with research prerequisites for which I made the Desktop and Notebook computer dependent upon the invention of the CPU first which made sense to me anyway. Sorry about the rant but you may be coming up against a bug in the game and we can try to rework your mod to get around the issue with just a bit more investigation into what is going on.
czurcz
Level 2 user

Post by czurcz »

foomanchu89 wrote: I looked over the file and can't see anything that would be causing this issue. In your original post you mentioned that only some of the products were not appearing, which implies that some were indeed working correct? If so, what products specifically don't appear in the R&D list?
It will be easier for me to get the list of those products which appear in R&D list:
r&d products available.png
r&d products available.png (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
foomanchu89 wrote: In my experience with modding for research year and the invent years, some products do not behave as expected. An example is the Desktop and Notebook Computer. If you set their can invent year and invent years, the game seems to show "Nil" for when those two products can be researched which means that its a bug preventing those two products from being researched at all. The fix to said bug is to provide those products with research prerequisites for which I made the Desktop and Notebook computer dependent upon the invention of the CPU first which made sense to me anyway.
Yep, I had the same thoughts, but as soon as I checked all the products which do not need any invention pre-requisites, it turned out that still some of them cannot be invented.
sox.png
sox.png (284.15 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
The same goes with:
- canned soup (frozen chicken + aluminium)
- chocolate bar (milk + cocoa)
- ice cream (milk + strawberry + sugar)

What's more, after I invented glass, I still couldn't invent bottled milk (glass + milk).
Greetz from Polska!
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

I downloaded your DBF file and found that you set MILK's invention years to 10.

You could fix the problem by resetting the invention settings of all products that are not made in factories (e.g. milk).
czurcz
Level 2 user

Post by czurcz »

David wrote:I downloaded your DBF file and found that you set MILK's invention years to 10.

You could fix the problem by resetting the invention settings of all products that are not made in factories (e.g. milk).
Yay! It seems this was the cause of the problem. I will test it further, but it works so far !

Thanks, David! :)
Greetz from Polska!