mod data limits

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
piermario
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

mod data limits

Post by piermario »

Ciao David may i know new mod data size limits with latest DLC?
thanks

This is what i found in website

MOD - Data Size Limits
The following lists the maximum number of entries you could add to the MOD data for different types of game content:

Product_Mega_Classes.DBF - 30
Product_Classes.DBF - 100
Product_Types.DBF - 500
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: mod data limits

Post by David »

Product_Types.DBF - 500 has been increased to 700.

Other limits are the same.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

I'm currently working on a fairly complex mod that among other things creates a more modular approach to manufacturing (eg. automobiles require at least 3 steps to build, etc) and adds petrochem, plastics and chemicals industries. This means a significant increase in semi products and even with streamlining I could quite easily push at the edges of the product_types cap. I notice you assume 7 products per class (simply 700/100), so is there a true maximum number you can put on products ? What happens if that number is increased (lag, unstable, etc) ? If there is a trade off to be had versus classes I'd take that - surely 20 megas and 50 classes would be adequate and we could at least have 760 products instead maybe ?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

saffgee wrote:I'm currently working on a fairly complex mod that among other things creates a more modular approach to manufacturing (eg. automobiles require at least 3 steps to build, etc) and adds petrochem, plastics and chemicals industries. This means a significant increase in semi products and even with streamlining I could quite easily push at the edges of the product_types cap. I notice you assume 7 products per class (simply 700/100), so is there a true maximum number you can put on products ? What happens if that number is increased (lag, unstable, etc) ?
The game will refuse to load in more than 700 products.
saffgee wrote:If there is a trade off to be had versus classes I'd take that - surely 20 megas and 50 classes would be adequate and we could at least have 760 products instead maybe ?
If you are creating a MOD with more than 700 products, please send us the details, including a work-in-progress version of your MOD and we will consider increasing the limit for you. You may either PM me or email me at info@enlight.com

The limit is related to game data structures. If we set a limit higher than what is really required, it will slow down game performance and increase its memory usage unnecessarily. This affects all users, not just users who are using the MOD. So we have to deal with it carefully.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

Ok David understood - thanks !

I can see how I get on with the existing limits and should have a beta version to test at some point in March. I want to make it complex but intuitive which is a fairly fine balance, so maybe the existing limits will help to make my Mod more efficient than it otherwise may have ended up being, we shall see.....:)