Software naming

Digital Age DLC for Capitalism Lab
BioBiro
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Software naming

Post by BioBiro »

Hi,

I'm curious to know whether software products will be named. Retail products are identified by the producer and retailer, along with the price, quality, and brand, and it's fine like that, because their identities are of little interest to us (e.g. no one cares what the product name of a sofa or a lamp is)...

... but with software, we associate the names of operating systems and 'virtual' products much more.

For instance - David's screenshot in this thread - it's almost crying out for the products to be named after the games.

Will this be possible? If so, how will it happen?

My point is, it might be difficult for a player to become immersed in a digital age if none of the products have 'identities'. I think people who are heavily interested in computing associate a lot with product names such as 'Windows 95' or 'Microsoft Office', but if the extent of the description of an operating system or office suite is 'Super Force, Super Force, $199.99, 87 quality, 65 brand', well...

How do people feel about this?
This user will not complain about the UI until 9th July 2020.
rlilje
Level 2 user

Re: Software naming

Post by rlilje »

BioBiro wrote:Hi,

I'm curious to know whether software products will be named. Retail products are identified by the producer and retailer, along with the price, quality, and brand, and it's fine like that, because their identities are of little interest to us (e.g. no one cares what the product name of a sofa or a lamp is)...

... but with software, we associate the names of operating systems and 'virtual' products much more.

For instance - David's screenshot in this thread - it's almost crying out for the products to be named after the games.

Will this be possible? If so, how will it happen?

My point is, it might be difficult for a player to become immersed in a digital age if none of the products have 'identities'. I think people who are heavily interested in computing associate a lot with product names such as 'Windows 95' or 'Microsoft Office', but if the extent of the description of an operating system or office suite is 'Super Force, Super Force, $199.99, 87 quality, 65 brand', well...

How do people feel about this?

I'm many respects you would be able to accomplish this though using the Product Customization feature. Granted the product would still be called "Economic Simulation Game" but the custom images/tech levels would allow you to give it the identity that you seek. You could even have older versions of software sell at a lower price point while the new one sells at full price.

David also mentioned the new Grouping function http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =42&t=3731 that will add additional level of customization.

I do agree that identities are important with this product category and options to give depth in this respect will translate to more enjoyable game play.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

It would be interesting for players to be able to rename or name the custom products though. Not just for softwares. A ot of the fashion items also share the same identity issue where the name of new line of product matters.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
rlilje
Level 2 user

Post by rlilje »

eleaza wrote:It would be interesting for players to be able to rename or name the custom products though. Not just for softwares. A ot of the fashion items also share the same identity issue where the name of new line of product matters.
I agree. Even something as simple as an editable subtitle below the product - something like:

Economic Simulation Game
Capitalism Lab
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Yes, it will certainly be possible to name a software product in the Digital Age DLC.
David

Post by David »

Update: we have implemented the mechanism for naming your software products in the Digital Age DLC.

Attached is a screenshot showing the interface.

For thje details of the entire process of developing a software product, you may view the following web page:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/software-companies.html
Attachments
name your software.jpg
name your software.jpg (189.83 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Diche_Bach
Level 2 user

Post by Diche_Bach »

This DLC isn't available yet right?

Want to make a software company in the game, that makes business sim games, in which players can play at building a software company that makes games, in which the in-game consumers play a game where they play at building a software company that makes games, in which the make-believe^2 consumers play a game where they play at building a software company that makes games . . . etc.

Infinite recursion! :mrgreen: :lol:
David

Post by David »

Nice post :D

However, the focus of the Digital Age DLC is on software products (not including games) and Internet companies only.

You may check out the variety of software types in the DLC here:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =42&t=3979