83%
No
17%

Total votes: 63

bundyaxl
Level 4 user

Re: New Retail Store Function

Post by bundyaxl »

I like the idea but I don't think that the current grid is a bit too limiting for this.
If you have another product that uses something other than those two same ingredients then you can only have 1 more item to sell.

The game should really start moving into a more realistic direction with a different gui that allows many more inputs and outputs.
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

David wrote:It seems to me that this might be made possible by allowing the modders to add new firm types under the Factory category that sell directly to end consumers instead of B2B.

A new variable can be added to the firm type database file that indicates whether the firm type sells products as a B2C or B2B business.

These are just my personal thoughts in response to your suggestions and I will have to check with the dev team on the feasibility and will suggest them to seriously consider implementing this if it is feasible.

And it will take time to modify the AI code to support this. The difficulty in programming the AI will be a major factor determining whether this feature will actually get implemented or not.

But first, I would like to hear about what you guys think about the approach described above, before I will try to get this moved forward. Do you think that the approach will support your ideas about the new service industries like Arcnor suggested?

On a related note, Arcnor has mentioned combing the new technology feature with it.
Another example might be to produce auto service to sell by having auto parts as an input. The quality of that service would be the combination of the quality of the parts and the tech. This is a new product that could be sold at the Auto Outlet.
I was wondering if any of you could think of any way to combine the new custom product image feature with any of the service businesses as well?

Lastly, would any of you be interested in creating a MOD with new service business types if the requested feature get implemented? This will help me persuade the dev team to allocate the resources to it, as there are many tasks (including the two DLCs currently under development) that are competing for the limited resources and time that they have.

For the custom product images, I think here you can factor in the level of service. For instance if its food, then the original image could be something basic and then you add further items that dress it up through the custom image. Kind of like going from 1 star to 5 star good meals.

With the expansion of retail firms with floors as was suggested in the Sub DLC, by adding this feature you wouldn't have the limitations some noted before.

I would be interested in creating a MOD with this new service depending on how it was implemented.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

After playing your CD_MOD, it seems to me that it will be easier to manage the service firms (e.g. Insurance Risk products) when they are produced and sold separately in factories and retail stores.

Perhaps a better solution would be to allow users to add new MOD buildings under the "factory" category for producing service products like Insurance Risks.

What are your thoughts?
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

David wrote:After playing your CD_MOD, it seems to me that it will be easier to manage the service firms (e.g. Insurance Risk products) when they are produced and sold separately in factories and retail stores.

Perhaps a better solution would be to allow users to add new MOD buildings under the "factory" category for producing service products like Insurance Risks.

What are your thoughts?
I don't think I follow you. I used the current game frame work to add the insurance products, but I think really these products should be sold and operate more like the Media firms. The way the game currently functions I am only selling the insurance product to the consumer, but I don't ever have to pay for any claims on that insurance; thus not at all in touch with real insurance. At least with the structure of the media firms I would have to spend money to keep my ratings up. That is just one idea.

If we add Mod buildings under the factory category that would work, but then you would still have these products that are being produced and then sold to a retail store to be sold to the customer. That doesn't happen in the real world. I know that you have previously suggested letting factories sell directly to the customer that would work. I do think though that we would then need to be able to restrict what these B2C factories produced, much like we restrict which retail stores can sell what.
David

Post by David »

Actually the dev team is in the process of designing an Internet firm which can serve as an advertising media.

I will get their permission to post some of the work-in-progress screenshot here on the forum and then let you guys comment on it and give suggestions.

One more thing: the design will support modding of Internet firms to a certain extent.
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

David,

Has the development team had any thoughts on this suggestion?

It would really be great to add services.
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

I wanted to provide another example for this feature.

I've recently added Shipping as a product class. This class basically allows me to set up a "UPS" within the game. I sell the shipping service at the different retail outlets.

I first thought make the shipping product at a factory. That isn't realistic to how this works in the real world. UPS doesn't have factories, they have drop off sites that charge you to ship a package.

By adding this function to the game, allowing set products to be prepared and sold at retails sites, the game would more resemble the real world and add various services to the game.
meRlinX_AT
Level 3 user

Post by meRlinX_AT »

bundyaxl wrote:I like the idea but I don't think that the current grid is a bit too limiting for this.
If you have another product that uses something other than those two same ingredients then you can only have 1 more item to sell.

The game should really start moving into a more realistic direction with a different gui that allows many more inputs and outputs.
+1
Win 7 Pro / Cap Lab 4.4.19 + Sub DLC

* I'm not an native English speaker - maybe some phrases or words are not the "yellow from the egg".
meRlinX_AT
Level 3 user

Post by meRlinX_AT »

Arcnor wrote:I wanted to provide another example for this feature.

I've recently added Shipping as a product class. This class basically allows me to set up a "UPS" within the game. I sell the shipping service at the different retail outlets.

I first thought make the shipping product at a factory. That isn't realistic to how this works in the real world. UPS doesn't have factories, they have drop off sites that charge you to ship a package.

By adding this function to the game, allowing set products to be prepared and sold at retails sites, the game would more resemble the real world and add various services to the game.
+1
just if i can make a complete transportation corp which will also handle all shipping's from my factories to all stores
Win 7 Pro / Cap Lab 4.4.19 + Sub DLC

* I'm not an native English speaker - maybe some phrases or words are not the "yellow from the egg".
David

Re: New Retail Store Function (Service DLC)

Post by David »

As the Digital Age DLC has reached at the final beta phase, the dev team now has time to revisit the various ideas for a potentially new DLC project.

The Service DLC is among the top 3 DLCs with the most votes at http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... =49&t=4166 and it potentially could be the new DLC project.

Right now, there are some good ideas about the DLC, including primarily Arcnor's idea for a new retail store function. In order to justify being a full DLC, it needs to have a lot more content, either on par with other released DLCs in terms of the amount of new features and content, or to be released at a lower price point if the amount of content is relatively smaller than other DLCs.

So I would like to hear what you guys think about the types of features and content you want to see in the Service DLC, if it is a product that you would consider buying at $9.99.