movie studios and TV networks

Suggestions for new DLC projects.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: movie studios and TV networks

Post by David »

A show is developed, licensed to the TV station once the next season has been developed rather that's 1 year or 3 years down the road the current season disappears and the TV station has to acquire the rights for the latest season.
Did you mean that the TV show franchise names are pre-defined in a database and the R&D center like TV studios will make a season of the TV show franchise each time?

Example:
A TV studio may produce:
<TV franchise name> season 1
<TV franchise name> season 2
<TV franchise name> season 3

If so, does the TV franchise need to have a pre-defined quality rating? e.g. some TV franchises will have a high quality rating than the others based on Metacritics http://www.metacritic.com/tv ?
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

The easiest way may be to have subsequent seasons quality level be higher than the last one, the more complex say would be based on the experience of the production team (R&D staff/unit level) so if the unit level is 9 and they're on season 2 that season would be better, than say Season 10 of a production crew with a unit level of 3.

If a Tv show last season is say Season 8 overtime the quality should reduce which would encourage TV stations to eventually remove season 8 or encourage the production company to make a new season. There also would be a mechanism for a company to give up rights to producing a show, such as unassigned production rights if they decide to pursue other shows. Maybe even max out how many shows a Media company can have the rights to produce which could expand via acquiring follow media companies (consolidation). For example Media company A has the right to produce a max of 10 shows, they then acquire Media Company B which also has the right to produce a max of 10 shows. Combined both companies have the right to produce a max of 20 shows.

Also with TVs only one company can produce a certain TV show, so two companies can't be producing SharkBank at the same time.

I'm thinking in terms of R&D because that's what's currently in the game, the Devs may be able to come up with something more appropriate to introduce a feature like this.
David

Post by David »

I wonder if it is easy or not to come up with a long list of made-up names that players may like.

Could you come up with a list of 10-20 made-up names of TV shows?
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

Sure I can as well as others who see this post.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

Here's some possible titles:

Me+Wife [Family sitcom of a married couple with no kids]
Life Afterall [sitcom on a person living life]
Forever After [shows about weddings]
When it's All Said and Done [political show on the latest happenings in politics]
Home for Dinner [family-friendly comedy]
That Weekend Show [Late-night comedy show]
Hardware & Stuff [Geek/Computer show]
Is It Friday? [Sitcom about young adults and the night life]
Tinder Ever After [profile of couples who met on tinder lol]
Social Wives [reality TV show]

How this for a start?
David

Post by David »

TV Studios
-TV networks would be less expensive and expensive buildings then movie studios
-You would put a TV show into production 6-12 months
-Set budget
-Once the TV show has completed based a quality score is determined
-The TV show can be purchased by other TV outlets and/or automatically syndicated on the parent companies TV stations
-The TV stations quality avg will be affected by the avg quality of the shows they have licensed or produced as well as how much they spend on organic content (current system)
Do you think we should use the R&D Center's 3x3 layout format for TV studios, where the number of units you linked together on the 3x3 layout will determine the cost of the production? Or it is better to come up with a new interface for TV studio without the 3x3 layout?
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David wrote:
TV Studios
-TV networks would be less expensive and expensive buildings then movie studios
-You would put a TV show into production 6-12 months
-Set budget
-Once the TV show has completed based a quality score is determined
-The TV show can be purchased by other TV outlets and/or automatically syndicated on the parent companies TV stations
-The TV stations quality avg will be affected by the avg quality of the shows they have licensed or produced as well as how much they spend on organic content (current system)
Do you think we should use the R&D Center's 3x3 layout format for TV studios, where the number of units you linked together on the 3x3 layout will determine the cost of the production? Or it is better to come up with a new interface for TV studio without the 3x3 layout?
I don't mind the 3X3 layout but I would be open to others interfaces since we recently had a discussion on the 3X3 layout.I think most of us experienced players wouldn't mind 3X3 but if there's better UI the best way to begin incorporating that into the game is via new features. Unfortunately my only frame of reference is the R&D centers so that's why I based the concept off of it, but the devs might have other suggestions/approaches to this
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David,

What about an in-game interface where the human player can create a new show provide a title, a brief desc and cover art and make it playable in the game and accessible to the AI?
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

I like this idea a lot.

I have a couple of questions though.

For the movie studio, how would you be able to set up theaters to sell tickets to see those movies?

How would the TV Networks make money? Is it still just based on advertising dollars?

I'm wondering if perhaps a TV network that produces a show should also sell access to a TV provider who would offer it as a service. It would be great if we could start adding services to the game.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

Arcnor wrote:I like this idea a lot.

I have a couple of questions though.

For the movie studio, how would you be able to set up theaters to sell tickets to see those movies?

I forsee the theater as it's own building with pricing sliders for tickets, concession stands etc. I think this may be why David's questions have been centered on TV networks.

How would the TV Networks make money? Is it still just based on advertising dollars?

I see the shows being like technology that other companies can acquire The TV stations would work just as now but the ability to acquire and show TV shows to increase content rating and hence advertising revenue via rate increases.

I'm wondering if perhaps a TV network that produces a show should also sell access to a TV provider who would offer it as a service. It would be great if we could start adding services to the game.

The vision is for the TV shows to be sold to others.