Financial DLC

Banking and Finance DLC for Capitalism Lab
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Financial DLC

Post by eleaza »

There has been some very serious discussions about this in the past though
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =14&t=2497

Even some very promising mechanics been proposed. Similar to your suggestions about leading money to not just AI corporations, but also "unnamed" citizens as mortgage, even SME represented by local competitors. The problem seems to be about risk assessment. Since not just human players can open financial "firm", once the mechanics are in, AI person should also be able to open their private banks. The tedious part may not be the most crucial problem. It might be that some of the mechanics would create too much of loophole for human players to exploit "naive" AI persons. Too much of a reward the game will be too easy , too low it becomes redundant.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

Capitalism Lab is not just a game its an interactive way to learn and experience how things in a Capitalism system works. I'm glad to see that we are having an organized friendly discussion. There's void in how to handle excess capital which is where such a DLC can fill in the game. Yes simply making loans and profits off interests by itself is boring but what about when the Fed sets the interest rate and the banks react by changing their interest rates on loans, reducing/increasing the number of applications they improved, how this affect the local and national community etc. I actually think experiencing and running a business with such interplay between all these different elements would be....pretty entertaining.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

WilliamMGary wrote:Capitalism Lab is not just a game its an interactive way to learn and experience how things in a Capitalism system works. I'm glad to see that we are having an organized friendly discussion. There's void in how to handle excess capital which is where such a DLC can fill in the game. Yes simply making loans and profits off interests by itself is boring but what about when the Fed sets the interest rate and the banks react by changing their interest rates on loans, reducing/increasing the number of applications they improved, how this affect the local and national community etc. I actually think experiencing and running a business with such interplay between all these different elements would be....pretty entertaining.
Come to think of it, the "financial production" of "financial product", whether they are tradition loans, complex derivative, or "bad product" like subprime lending packed into mortgage-backed securities (MBS), all act like "reverse selling". Everything in the financial books are also reverse, the deposit is liability, and the lending is assets. "Customers" sell their "cash" to the financial firm for "interest" with the price of different "interest rate", and gain different kind of "financial products" in return. The financial firm will then use the packaged source through different "financial sources" and sell the "cash" to these money borrowers and gain much higher "interest rate" price. The financial firm then can pocket the difference between, and complete the cycle (more precisely recycle) of pushing cash toward those organizations which needs capital in advance, with risk. And even the quality of the "financial product" is in reverse, the more "basic" financial product has the lowest risk, but the more "production" is packaged inside the financial product the more risky it gets. We can sort of treat the "risky factor" of the financial product like the "quality factor" of the normal product in Capitalism game, it will have higher payout, but risky competition from "low risky" basic investment product as the "ground floor product".

I feel all these can be adapted with the current game engine, just in reverse somehow. And as long as we connected the "interest rate" of the central bank like a "local competitor ground level financial product" but with global value across different cities. I can see it played out quite interesting. And we will even see the greedier some players push the "risk factor" and end up causing financial crisis.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

It would be helpful if any of you could set up a poll to see if there are enough interests from the user community on the financial DLC.

For instance, the dev team is now revisiting the idea of regional differences on crops, thanks to positive responses in the poll: http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =14&t=1171
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David wrote:It would be helpful if any of you could set up a poll to see if there are enough interests from the user community on the financial DLC.

For instance, the dev team is now revisiting the idea of regional differences on crops, thanks to positive responses in the poll: http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =14&t=1171

This is more of a idea generation....how about we get a list of ideas and then put up a poll for a financial DLC with a set of features.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

-Lease back/Rent/Buy facilities (stores, factories, warehouses etc)
-Historical Financial Data (ability to see y-o-y and 2yr comparison to current year)
-Ability to export financial data for analysis in excel format
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

I am reading some new Fintech articles and novel financial institutions and mechanism like P2P lending platform, these next generation financials might be some "future financial technologies" that can be added as part of the financial DLC part?
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

I have several ideas for this.
-Lease back/Rent/Buy facilities (stores, factories, warehouses etc)
-Historical Financial Data (ability to see y-o-y and 2yr comparison to current year)
-Ability to export financial data for analysis in excel format
Agree 100% with these.

-Issue fixed rate bonds/purchase bonds on an open market (including the new city bonds)
- Banking (much as we have discussed in the past, I would like to be able to create a bank and take deposits and make loans. [previous discussions on this by David and the development team lead to some very interesting game mechanics that I believe would be great additions])
- Create financial products (i.e. create futures contracts by creating a market place to trade commodities to help avoid the game having 20 different produces of leather)
- Create real insurance products that can be sold and then have claims to be paid based on events (similar to the current random events that happen now)
- Ability to offer services (i.e. offer accounting services, legal, etc that would work similar to the current media firms)

Thats what I have as of now.. I'll think on it some more.
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Post by Spac3y »

I always wanted a short option for those companies I always knew were way too highly priced for the profit they were generating but couldnt do anything about it.

You then have commodities. I would be nice to be able to buy from a competitor "X" amount of commodity if you didnt want to run a mine or oil well at the market price.
Like all markets supply and demand would dictate the price, but you would need to build warehouses / storage to take delivery of the physical commodity. It may also encourage more players to sell to other players than just to have internal sale set all the time.

I do like the insurance products linked to the random events thought. Housing insurance could have to pay out when looters are raiding the city, companies with farms may have taken out crop insurance for when those pesky infestations hit.

You could have the option for funds that you could setup but these would only be allowed to buy those specific things. IE if you started a property fund, you could only buy commercial or appartmerts. Stock price would be affected by yield I guess, in a recession when you have all those nasty empty commercial buildings, yield would suffer and people may start withdrawing funds.

I agree though, it might be difficult to actually make it a fun DLC as much as I would like to see some improvements.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

Retail store features:

1. Size options (this is often used to increase margin and profits)
2. Buy One Get One Sells (often use to help clear inventory, would be helpful during recessions to utilize unneeded mfg capacity)