A couple of questions to this new release

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
BlackCat

A couple of questions to this new release

Post by BlackCat »

Hi

I have played Cap I+II on and off for a mere decade on my own, so I was quite surprised stumbling over this site.

I like several of the new things that are introduced in Cap Lab, but wonder if some of the old bugs/exploits have been fixed.

Humbly excuses prematurely sent if any of my problems already have been solved in patches unknown.

Single mouse click/keyboard not handled correctly - ie save game - name becoming tttttooooppppsssy instead of topsy, changing prices run wild.

Bar control in "Product detail report" doesn't work properly. If more than four sellers, clicking on five or higher doesn't work.

Media firm exploit - buy a media in a city and set all products to max Advertise. Result is max ad effect and an obscene income from the Media firm.

Saturation problem : start selling an already existing product in a city makes demand dropping. While that is fine since there are a surplus, the logic fails because removing one seller makes demand rise despite there still are a surplus.

Last, occationally, setting product in a manufacturing unit, the menu gets "out of range" and the game crashes.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: A couple of questions to this new release

Post by David »

Single mouse click/keyboard not handled correctly - ie save game - name becoming tttttooooppppsssy instead of topsy, changing prices run wild.
This has been fixed in the Capitalism 2 patch which you may download from: http://www.enlight.com/capitalism2/Patch.html

Media firm exploit - buy a media in a city and set all products to max Advertise. Result is max ad effect and an obscene income from the Media firm.
CapLab allows for setting up new media firms, in addition to acquiring existing media firms from the government. So it is more difficult to exploit it in this way, as competitors will be offering lower rates.
Saturation problem : start selling an already existing product in a city makes demand dropping. While that is fine since there are a surplus, the logic fails because removing one seller makes demand rise despite there still are a surplus.
You may try Capitalism Lab and check how it behaves under such a circumstance.
Last, occationally, setting product in a manufacturing unit, the menu gets "out of range" and the game crashes.
Please try the latest patch and see if the problem still persists. If so, please provide more details about how to trigger the crash.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

A question about the patch - does it affect saves ? I'm in the middle of a game and have build some 500 firms and would hate to start all over ;)

Wrt the game crash, I think I have figured out what happens. Due to the multiple mouseclick problem, it looks like its possible to send both a "page down" event and a "single line down" event and thereby not having a product in focus. If then clicking Ok, you get an "Out of range" situation and the game crashes.

Btw., sorry for my sloppy initial bug report. I'm a programmer and gets annoyed when my users submits "program doesn't work" reports. :(

I may have been a little unclear about the advertise problem. It's not about having a monopoly on ads - I only own one media firm in each city. After acquiring a such I only bump up content dev to max. Then, for every sales unit in every retail store I set advertising to max ($500k). This result in increased profit and high branding. I have made a little experiment to display the effect - ran the same month with/without advertise (all numbers in millions) :

OpRev expense adv profit
with adv 216 178 95 40
no adv 105 83 0 22

That is, by spending 95 mill, I get both very high brand improvement and an added 18 mill in profit. It looks like most of the media firms income end up as profit instead of being used on ads.

Edit: It looks like the forum SW are scared of multiple spaces so it messes up my little table, though, I guess you can figure out the meaning.
Esoteric Rogue
Level 6 user

Post by Esoteric Rogue »

BlackCat wrote:A question about the patch - does it affect saves ? I'm in the middle of a game and have build some 500 firms and would hate to start all over ;)

Wrt the game crash, I think I have figured out what happens. Due to the multiple mouseclick problem... </snip>

I may have been a little unclear about the advertise problem.

Edit: It looks like the forum SW are scared of multiple spaces so it messes up my little table
I would start a new game when you patch to Cap2 1.05. There has been many changes since the old 1.02, including fixing the turbo clicks. The Enlight team is still addressing concerns with Cap 2, so if you encounter any bugs with 1.05, please post them.

The well know media exploit has been balanced in CapLab. Much has been adjusted in CapLab; it really doesn't feel like the same game to me.

HTML doesn't like spaces. You can use BB code tags for preformatted text.

Code: Select all

1          1
2          2
3          3
azxcvbnm321
Level 3 user

Post by azxcvbnm321 »

I don't find $18 million profit on $95 million revenue to be excessive. Are you also including content costs in your figures? Media firms have to constantly pay for content or else ratings drop so I find that your figures are perfectly fine for the game. Media firms also cost a lot comparatively, I had the government offer to sell their TV station for $1 billion!