General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Capitalism Lab Release version 3.5.12 Patch

Post by cantdownloadit »

doh.

Also how does stock ownership work...

If I own 100% of my company and it owns 75% of a subsidiary and I also own 10% of the subsidiary personally then I control it and prevent the AI issuing shares.

If I own 100% of my company and it owns 70% of a subsidiary and I also own 15% of the subsidiary personally then the AI is able to issue shares - to the point where the company is no longer a subsidiary

If I own 85% of a company personally I have no control at all.

In all cases I control the same percentage of the company but the result is different ?

(I still believe I should also be able to sell all my stock in my own company and not have the game end - this would be realistic as someone who sells their company and uses the funds to start a new business venture).
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Capitalism Lab Release version 3.5.12 Patch

Post by eleaza »

cantdownloadit wrote:doh.

Also how does stock ownership work...

If I own 100% of my company and it owns 75% of a subsidiary and I also own 10% of the subsidiary personally then I control it and prevent the AI issuing shares.

If I own 100% of my company and it owns 70% of a subsidiary and I also own 15% of the subsidiary personally then the AI is able to issue shares - to the point where the company is no longer a subsidiary

If I own 85% of a company personally I have no control at all.

In all cases I control the same percentage of the company but the result is different ?

(I still believe I should also be able to sell all my stock in my own company and not have the game end - this would be realistic as someone who sells their company and uses the funds to start a new business venture).
You can your company are separate entities by law even in real life. And most large corporations' major shareholders are not natural person, but holding companies. In game I think it's just if the shareholders are persons, they act like pure shareholders instead of board members which only include holding companies.

And you can sell all the stocks of your own company, no problem. You only lose if there are persons of holding companies owned more than 50% of your company's stock as a single entity (like if company A owned 49.99% and its owner owned 49.99% of your company's stock, and some other dudes with 0.02%, you are still in the game as CEO, but more like acting COO in the general sense). And this mechanics I believe is mostly for easy to follow game rules and game balance. Back in Capitalism II, it's actually a good tactic to sell all stocks from the start, since most of the time in early game with massive losses, the stock price is expected to fall, so it's easier to sell all personal owned stocks, and massively issued new stocks from the start. Later on when the company start to turn a profit, before stock price can reflect the change, buyback with the cash you personally owned cheaply.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Capitalism Lab Release version 3.5.15 Patch

Post by cantdownloadit »

in addition to the weird stock rules above...

Is there any reason why the company headquarters costs no maintenance ? this seems unrealistic.

Also why is it so much more cost effective to found a company with low capital and immediately inject capital than to just found a company outright ?

If I Found a subsidiary with 1 billion dollars the stock value is 1 billion 250 million when it has its IPO.
If I found a subsidiary with 20 million dollars then immediately inject 980 million dollars the stock value is 25 million when it has its IPO.
This is an easy way to transfer large amounts of money to yourself... just set up with 20m, inject 20 billion, buy 100% of stock for very little and eventually the stock price will go up to something similar to the cash it has, then you can sell your stock gradually for mass transfer.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Capitalism Lab Release version 3.5.15 Patch

Post by eleaza »

cantdownloadit wrote:in addition to the weird stock rules above...
Is there any reason why the company headquarters costs no maintenance ? this seems unrealistic.
This is a good question, I have no idea, but if you have several active departments in HQ, their "expenses" should be high enough that its overhead should be neglectable (millions compare to couple of thousands). Or simply when there's no department in it it's more of a symbol (a empty building with logo on it), than actual HQ.

But personally I think it's more for game play "balance" purpose. Like if new players have no idea what they are doing, and playing for the first time, where the lowest setting grant them HQ as default (since building HQ actually cost quite a lot), newbies might freak out that they are leaking cash without reason, due to lack of understanding what "overhead of the HQ" actually means. Although I also heard some new players actually never learn what HQ does and never use it for a very long time.
cantdownloadit wrote: Also why is it so much more cost effective to found a company with low capital and immediately inject capital than to just found a company outright ?

If I Found a subsidiary with 1 billion dollars the stock value is 1 billion 250 million when it has its IPO.
If I found a subsidiary with 20 million dollars then immediately inject 980 million dollars the stock value is 25 million when it has its IPO.
This is an easy way to transfer large amounts of money to yourself... just set up with 20m, inject 20 billion, buy 100% of stock for very little and eventually the stock price will go up to something similar to the cash it has, then you can sell your stock gradually for mass transfer.
The action of injecting pure cash into subsidiary itself is what causing this insider trade possible. Essentially only the player knows the subsidiary is having a massive boost. And since "anonymous" traders have no information and seem to have infinite amount of cash, they will buy into everything when it's at "market value". I think the lack of "realistic" market valuation of the stocks are the issue here (where white stocks are not subjected to price determine AI, like persons). I always thought the "fair price" in the stock market is grossly undervalued (they should be a lot closer to premium price, and they really are more close to real price, and a lot of time varied quite lot, just like real stock trade)
brianwiz
Level 3 user

Re: Capitalism Lab Release version 3.5.16 Patch

Post by brianwiz »

I keep getting error file cannot be opened after downloading it.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

brianwiz wrote:I keep getting error file cannot be opened after downloading it.
What is the error message you got?
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David wrote:
brianwiz wrote:I keep getting error file cannot be opened after downloading it.
What is the error message you got?
Sounds like his patch download is corrupt....
Grumph

Post by Grumph »

Same error here: I replaced my 3.4.17 downloader that I constantly upgraded until and including 3.5.16 (worked fine) with the new 3.5.16 installer.
Starting Cap Lab now results in the attached error message. I wish I had not deleted my 3.4.17 installation file. :(
Attachments
Error Message when launching after having installed from the 3.5.16 installer version
Error Message when launching after having installed from the 3.5.16 installer version
error.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Grumph wrote:Same error here: I replaced my 3.4.17 downloader that I constantly upgraded until and including 3.5.16 (worked fine) with the new 3.5.16 installer.
Starting Cap Lab now results in the attached error message. I wish I had not deleted my 3.4.17 installation file. :(
Here is my backup old 3.4.17 installer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wi7a9fz3ie3p ... 7.exe?dl=0
Grumph

Post by Grumph »

eleaza wrote:
Grumph wrote:Same error here: I replaced my 3.4.17 downloader that I constantly upgraded until and including 3.5.16 (worked fine) with the new 3.5.16 installer.
Here is my backup old 3.4.17 installer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wi7a9fz3ie3p ... 7.exe?dl=0
Great, thanks a lot! :)