Construction time

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab

Which way do you prefer?

Buildings are built instantly, as currently in Cap2
14%
It will take time to build buildings
11%
Buildings with 3x3 layout (store, factory) are built instantly whereas other buildings (apartments, commercially buildings) take time to build.
8%
It takes time to finish the construction but the player can start to set up the 3x3 layout before the construction is finished.
67%

Total votes: 36

David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Construction time

Post by David »

We are considering modifying the building system in Cap2. Please let us know your thoughts.
Alan Doyle
Level 2 user

Re: Construction time

Post by Alan Doyle »

Well I think you already know that I support a delay to simulate construction of a building :)

I like the idea in the poll that the layout can be set up during the construction delay. That makes perfect sense.
ajpiper2k
Level 2 user

Post by ajpiper2k »

As you get more involved in the game, I can be building 12-20 farms, factories or stores all at once. With really large conglomerations, you really need a set it and forget it mentality. Otherwise, you need to have some way to notify the user that the factory hasn't been configured yet. But this seems awefully painful.

In addition to configuring the 3x3, I'd also like to be able to set up the supply chain, products and sales departments without having to wait for materials to enter the block within the 3x3. For example, I can set up the purchasing unit for silica easy enough. But, at the same time, I should be able to set the manufacturing unit to glass or silicone and tell the sales units the price as well as that internal only button.

The biggest pain in the rear for this situation is when I open a new sales unit for a factory. As materials move into the unit, the sales unit keeps the price, but does not maintain the "Internal" sales only. That means a competitor of mine has an opportunity to hijack my product without my consent. Once an order has been filled to a competitor, the competitor cannot be removed (and I'm unsure if he can still pace orders) once Internal button is reset. The only assured way I have to remove this competitor is to remove the sales units, wait 2 weeks, then rebuild the sales units and hope it doesn't happen again. This can all be avoided if I can preset these settings.

Andy
jondonnis
Level 5 user

Post by jondonnis »

Nice idea but think it would be to much hassle with micro management. So maybe keep the instant builds how they are.
ajpiper2k
Level 2 user

Post by ajpiper2k »

jondonnis wrote:Nice idea but think it would be to much hassle with micro management. So maybe keep the instant builds how they are.
I think allowing us to configure the 3x3 matrix at the time of the build would eliminate this hassle. Then it just turns it into a waiting game for the player.

That reminds me, would you have some type of indicator to tell the player when a product line or unit is under construction?

Andy
LennyLeak

Post by LennyLeak »

I think the last option is a great idea.
As stated it would make it more realistic without stressing the player to much.
Also the increased setup time of production will reward players for anticipating increases in demand.
Webby64286
Level 2 user

Post by Webby64286 »

I voted to leave it the way it is but if you fixed the rates for freight charges (too many products cannot be shipped from city to city, the % amount for the freight charges compared to the end product prices are out of whack) than I would consider it.