DRM ?

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
Nebogipfel

DRM ?

Post by Nebogipfel »

Do you have decided how to protect (or not) CapLab ?

I know theres was a thread about that, but I can´t find any new message about this.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: DRM ?

Post by David »

For details, please read: http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... f=15&t=774

We understand that some people would never buy any games with any kind of DRM. Just as in a Cap game, no product can ever capture 100% of the market and we never intend to achieve it.

Each product has its own appeal, target customer segments and business model. So it is completely understandable that the fact that CapLab retains online checking will make some users skipping CapLab and looking for other business sim products without any kind of DRM and we totally respect their decisions.

There are other great business sim products by other developers out there which do not have any kind of DRM and we would recommend people who dislike DRM to look for a game in the market that suits you the most.

p.s. the original Capitalism 2 is totally free of DRM. If you haven't got it yet, you may give it a try.
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

I wish you luck, however with sort of DRM you will not sell many games. Look at UBI, EA, and Blizzard Diablo 3. And it is really disappointing that Enlight feel that they have to put a drastic DRM in the game and loose loyal customers at the same time. This isn't a very good business decision. As it stands now i will not be buying the game however if this drastic online checking is removed in the future i will buy the game.
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

I disagree wholeheartedly with moneytheory
I have already purchased that game and fully support a company trying to protect its rights

Its a small price to pay
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

mwyeoh wrote:I disagree wholeheartedly with moneytheory
I have already purchased that game and fully support a company trying to protect its rights

Its a small price to pay
Enlight has every right to protect its IP however they don't have the right to put extreme DRM in there game and inconvenience the users and treat them like criminals. You might think its is a small price to pay but i am not prepared to pay that price. At the end of the day it will be Enlight who pays the price because the game will not sell as well as it should which means less money to develop the game. Haven't you seen the backlash from other companies who have tried this method or do you think that Enlight is immune from this. Or do you think because there is a small user base for this game that the fans will accept this DRM. This game has a lot of potential but as it stands now the game will not sell while it has this DRM.

And i cant believe that Enlight made a decision like this after all the backlash other companies have received UBI is a prime example of this and Blizzard Diablo 3.
Purifier
Level 4 user

Post by Purifier »

moneytheory get your facts straight please.

Ubisoft booked a near 1Billion Dollar profit on the financial year 2011-2012 (with the core games, in other words the games which use DRM) providing nearly halve that profit.
And this is from an official Q2 financial report by activision blizzard:
"Parent Activision’s financial results were driven by strong sales for Diablo III, which has tallied more than 10 million unit sales through July since its May release, smashing PC records along the way."

So no i dont think alot of people do mind a DRM if the game is good.... and capitalism lab is good :)
Also i dont read anywhere in the explanation of Enlight that this DRM is as extreme as the one ubisoft used.
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

Purifier wrote:moneytheory get your facts straight please.

Ubisoft booked a near 1Billion Dollar profit on the financial year 2011-2012 (with the core games, in other words the games which use DRM) providing nearly halve that profit.
And this is from an official Q2 financial report by activision blizzard:
"Parent Activision’s financial results were driven by strong sales for Diablo III, which has tallied more than 10 million unit sales through July since its May release, smashing PC records along the way."

So no i dont think alot of people do mind a DRM if the game is good.... and capitalism lab is good :)
Also i dont read anywhere in the explanation of Enlight that this DRM is as extreme as the one ubisoft used.
You get your facts right where did i say in my post that UBI and Blizzard lost money the fact is i never said they did. All i said was that UBI copped a backlash and because of that they no longer require you to play a single player game online. AB fans are are furious that they have to play a single player game online for Diablo 3 expect AB to back down soon. While AB sold lots for Diablo 3 that dosent mean the people who purchase the game are happy with the DRM because clearly a lot of them are not happy.
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

When you say "Cop a backlash", often its the same people going from forum to forum or thread to thread posting the same thing over and over and over and over again.
Often they are a small number of people too.

Recent examples are Apple- Antennagate and Microsoft- Windows 8... they have been blown WAY out of proportion and often, when people actually use the programs/goods, its not as bad as they think.
With a game like Diablo III, known for its cheaters, dupers and rampant trainer programs, ofcourse the people who always cheat are going to kick up a storm about it being harder to cheat this time around.
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

mwyeoh wrote:When you say "Cop a backlash", often its the same people going from forum to forum or thread to thread posting the same thing over and over and over and over again.
Often they are a small number of people too.

Recent examples are Apple- Antennagate and Microsoft- Windows 8... they have been blown WAY out of proportion and often, when people actually use the programs/goods, its not as bad as they think.
With a game like Diablo III, known for its cheaters, dupers and rampant trainer programs, ofcourse the people who always cheat are going to kick up a storm about it being harder to cheat this time around.
You are making excuses for this DRM. Do you have any evidence that people are going from forum to forum posting the same thing. Also it isn't a small number of people it is quite a large amount especially with Diablo 3. So you are saying that the cheaters who play Diablo 3 are kicking up a fuss because of the DRM and you still making excuses and trying to blame the cheaters for kicking up a fuss. While there maybe some cheaters kicking up a fuss you will also find a lot of genuine people are also complaining.

And what happens if Enlight go bust yes i know they will issue a patch however if they are bust Enlight will be in no position to issue a patch.
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

Well its a pity you feel that way.
It is your decision if you no longer want to play CapLab