Achievement System - suggestions welcome

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Achievement System - suggestions welcome

Post by David »

We plan to implement an achievement system to this DLC which we believe will be the main driver of gameplay. The replayability will come form this achievement system which will provide incentives to the players to keep playing this game and challenge themselves to achieve harder goals.

Here are some of our initial ideas for achievements: Your suggestions will welcome.

Reach an influence score of <n>.

Have your party control <n> cities - all mayors in these cities are your party members.

Nation score reaches <n>

GDP per capita reaches $<n>.

GDP per capita rank - within top <n> of the world

Population reaches <n> people

Population ranks - within top <n> of the world.

Quality of Life reaches <n> while having a national population of <n>

Win an election with over <n%> support rate.

% of population with university education.

Have <n> industries with city competitiveness ratings over <n>.

----

There cam be pages of achievements:

page 1 - difficulty rating from 0 to 100
page 2 - difficulty rating from 100 to 200
page 3 - difficulty rating from 200 to 300 or above

So that players will have the incentive to obtain the same achievement again at a higher difficulty rating.

-------------------

If you come up with other achievement types, please feel free to suggest.

Other suggestions or comments are welcome too.
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Achievement System - suggestions welcome

Post by cantdownloadit »

personally I just tend to ignore achievements in games, if they happen they happen if they don't, I don't worry about it, although I realise many people do like the challenge.

it maybe more interesting if achievement system was like steam achievements where each player has an account page where you can view there profile/see how good they are, see globally stats, rankings etc.

(although I believe there should be some way to make your profile private, as with steam).
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

Have the achievement system focus on one city at a time, the city you're actively building before it starts offering you goals for other cities. So just do achievements for everything and then once all "goals" are met then the result should be a successful city and thus the player moves to the next and the goals for that city begins.
Ali777

Post by Ali777 »

I feel like achievements do not provide the thrill or the satisfaction of accomplishing something right now. Yes, there is an ingame monetary reward, but money does not become an issue after some time. There could be leaderboards and achievements visible to other people, but few tend to strive for those. I believe it would be smart to implement an option where achievements would provide a one-time large bonus or unlocking of something inside the current game which would be much harder to do without the ahievement. For example, gaining 75% popularity would give an 80% discount towards a new University. Or when quality of life reaches certain level increase the productivity of universities/R&D/Retail/Manufacturing output by 10%. Something along those lines. I believe it would give the player, as the city leader, a real incentive to achieve certain goals. The added challenge would make it only more interesting and the finish line would be rewarding. What do you think?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Ali777 wrote:I feel like achievements do not provide the thrill or the satisfaction of accomplishing something right now. Yes, there is an ingame monetary reward, but money does not become an issue after some time. There could be leaderboards and achievements visible to other people, but few tend to strive for those. I believe it would be smart to implement an option where achievements would provide a one-time large bonus or unlocking of something inside the current game which would be much harder to do without the ahievement. For example, gaining 75% popularity would give an 80% discount towards a new University. Or when quality of life reaches certain level increase the productivity of universities/R&D/Retail/Manufacturing output by 10%. Something along those lines. I believe it would give the player, as the city leader, a real incentive to achieve certain goals. The added challenge would make it only more interesting and the finish line would be rewarding. What do you think?
The new landmark system offers benefits to the player in a way similar to what you suggested above.

You may view the details of the Landmark system at: http://www.capitalismlab.com/landmarks.html