Disney and Digital and on the air Media

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
baz
Level 4 user

Disney and Digital and on the air Media

Post by baz »

I like to create examples so that a suggestion can come from it.
Disney as a company, can you replicate it in Caplab.
Disney is a media company, has massively grown by buy buying 21st century (films,music,broadcast, Digital broadcasting ect) Has retail and sells toys.
We can recreate the toys, factories or if we had B2B get it made for us if thats the case and sell them in stores around the world. The trouble is the media side, It's not built for the kind of media that Disney is. Cartoons, films. I would agree that it replies on the same thing subscribers and money, but that's where it differs. As far as I know it's business is to the end user, doesn't rely as such on commercial advertising, perhaps it does now to more of an extent.
Lets stick to Disney 1990 - 2K.
So we can make toys as discussed and manufacture if required, we could make a mod to manufacturer cartoons films, or in theory like software where you have to R&D or in this sense film something for 6 months but that's not the point.
What about the Digital media side, Lets look at Media in caplab. It's really meant for advertising and you could argue content quality is the difference between each one ie CNN, BBC, Disney.
I want to look at this differently and purpose some changes to Media and the way it works, This bolting on not removing or changing.
As discussed media requires subscribers in fact most electronic gadgets do, but stick with Media.
If Disney created a media box and an o/s, we could even call it a media services if you prefer. We would end up exactly like desktop & notebook user base and os user base.
We would have a media box with a Media service (O/S) This is sky not Disney, DIsney don't make boxes, hear me out. Disney would sell it's service to Sky and advertise on sky for example among many media organisations.
How does this all work for Disney, How does it make money.
No media box no problem. Disney would create a media service just like you would create an o/s or software.
This would behave like a Os.
When you make Disney media service you will decide the platform it runs on, S.phone, tab, desktop smart TV ect. and who's platform. Virgin, Sky, freeview, Exactly the same as when creating an O/s and assigning to hardware, or creating software and assigning to o/s.
We could have it with software and not o/s but then I was hoping for an app aswell but it could be done that way too.
However I envisage that these will be closed systems, freeview would be open.
So how then does this work. When connected to devices each of the devises sell creating a User base for each. How it works for Disney is that it pays for a media services, improving content and advertising but charges subscription, depending on these stats depend on subscribers it gets. Exactly like Media works now kinda, Media would receive it's info from the User base of Tv's ect Out of that is the pecentage that Disney gets, If there content is poor and subscription high then poor sales, high content, low subscription but poor media service, Not as poor sales, so media service will need to be kept up to date. The Media center can take advertising like now but also advertise.
Now Disney can create Apps( like software apps), like Disney Junior and sell these apps to it's own media service or someone else's.(O/s). This would open up Netflicks and seperate media app companies as they could sell to all open devices, the amount of devices (user base) over content quality, subscription price, brand and advertising. Basically DIsney get a cut of the amount of User base of devices that it belongs too and the cut depends on content quality, subscription price and app quality.

Broadcasting buildings work almost the same but don't have to charge subscription if they don't wan to. They receive all of TV and analogue and maybe smart tv's user base. This would behave more like BBC or freeview public/private while TV stations or media stations would be private, We could change that around so TV( media station) is public/private and Broadcasting is private only.
From the User base of all free to air parts ( Open systems ) this pipes into TV for example and content quality, advertising subscription cost depends on your market share. Creating apps improves brand and profits but requires constant research to keep it fresh, just like software.

Various companies Will be making media devices either open or closed, (for example sky will make hardware and media service but there hardware is closed but sky can buy the Disney app if, Disney makes it's apps ( software ) for the sky media service ( o/s ) and opens up it's hardware. Sky requires other content along side it's own even though the rivals but then Disney make films that Sky Show.

Here's some methods behind the madness. Please think in terms of creating an OS for pc's when you look at this and consider Media service, and consider each Media service as a possible user base but still needs a hardware for it to run, exactly the same as pc's and o/s.
Please consider that software is Media apps, so even without hardware you can create apps to work on someone eles's and you can create multiple apps for the various genre like Documentary, News, sport. You can create it to run on multiples of hardware or define it to a device, and a specific broadcaster ( o/s) or create multiples for each media service O/s
Below is a process for thru put to building and what the buildings do.

Media box o/s (User Base) goes specifically to the broadcast house. Each company would require there own Broadcasting house and media box and os. Can set price for subscription, would pay subscription to data center, would advertise and have content quality, can sell advertising.
Smart TV o/s ( user base) goes to data center then telecoms as a Tv service, Telecoms sells this service similar to broadcasting, although each has it's own price. Has to pay subscription or own a data center.
TV's o/s ( analogue service based on Tv's sold in city) goes straight to Broadcasting house. The amount of User base for the city, use advertising and content quality, cost of building.
Radio o/s ( analogue service based on all radio's in city inc cars) goes straight to Broadcasting house. The amount of User base for the city, use advertising and content quality, cost of building.
Router o/s ( User base) goes to data center then telecoms as a Broadband service. telecoms sells this similar to broadcasting, Although each has it's own price. Has to pay subscription or own a data center.
Phone o/s ( user base) goes to Telecoms as a phone service, telecoms sells this similar to broadcasting, Although each has it's own price. (Could require telephone exchange between phone o/s and telecoms.)
Smart phones o/s ( user base ) goes to Mast then to telecoms and is sold as Mobile service, telecoms sells this similar to broadcasting, Although each has it's own price. (Doesn't need a Mast but i'm trying to create more infastructure )
Console o/s (User Base) goes to data center then to a Digital media Center which Microsoft own for example. Can set subscription, can advertise on other platforms, can increase content, can sell games online, Can buy services from telecoms, broadcasting and media.
Cars o/s (User base) to mast, to data center or exchange - to Auto Media center , Charge subscription, pay for subscription to mast, improves brand, improve content Can purchase services from telecoms, media center, broadcasting and Digital media service.

Some changes
Telecoms would need a commercial side along side the UI it has now. As this is the clever part, The Media and Broadcasting could buy the services of the telecoms to enhance there service.

Basically all broadband devices go thru router giving a internet usage per city for all devices.
All mobile smart phones and analogue would go thru mast's, the mast would have a max, can charge a subscription, can improve quality of service and capacity. Perhaps require data center for smart phones, and cars.
All Landline broadband go thru an exchange( would behave the same as Mast), then too telecoms. ( they can go straight to telecoms )
All media boxes o/s will relate back to there own sales of hardware ultimately like Pc and o/s do now.
All Router o/s will include all broadband related user base including pc and notebook to give a broader figure

Please look at this not as a mod but simply put everything that happens for Pc's and software, happens for an element of the above. Certain o/s media services would behave the same as well as smart phones and smart Tv's even cars needs apps, including smart watches but routers won't have apps for example. Could have security apps which is in software just needs binding to how many routers are sold for example.
I was hoping that this would help clarify things but I think it may of lead to more confusion.
Please let me know your thoughts as ever, It's very difficult to explain some things without going into detail and then losing the point. :D
MightyGooga
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Disney and Digital and on the air Media

Post by MightyGooga »

Wow this is fantastic. I mean the concepts are well explained. Of course all the reasoning must be reviewed under the architecture point of view of the game it self. Most things are easier said than done, especially if you lack funding. But in general the idea of a media revamp sound very promising, allowing us to explore this industry in game as well.

If I may be so bold, as i read through the post i couldnt help but think of other service industry as well. In particuluar, I would love to be able to have a Film production company, or even a Theater company. Or I could build Theaters, Cinemas and all sorts of cultural business.

That in turn, brought to my mind a whole new service universe, maybe build some services to help cities grow, like water treatment, garbage collection, prisions....

What we need is some sort of structure to allow for modding content of services. Or even a Service DLC.

Sorry to hijack the topic and throw this ideas out. But your post really inspired me this way.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Disney and Digital and on the air Media

Post by David »

Very interesting ideas.

You may want to continue the discussion by connecting some ideas proposed there with another thread on movie studios and TV networks: http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... =49&t=3299