Layout efficiency and product details

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
Andriko

Layout efficiency and product details

Post by Andriko »

Hi,

I have looked around, but not been able to find the info (though I am sure I did see it somewhere once).

What is the optimal layout for firm grids? For example, how many purchasing units per sales unit, and similar for manufacturing? I am struggling to work this out!

Also, where do I find out what the maximum demand for a product is? As in, how do I know when a market has become saturated with something?

Thanks,

A
nosedigger

Re: Layout efficiency and product details

Post by nosedigger »

Hey Andriko, here's what I learned so far

In a store, you can sell max 4 products -> 4 Purchasing and 4 Selling units, with one unit left which you can use for advertising, private labeling or additional sales unit. The most optimal layout I found and use is 3 Purchasing and 6 Sales unit - you link each of PU to two Sales, but use this only when you are selling your own products since you will be competing for each supply of product from ports and they are not reliable in the long run. Also one more thing, never have more than 2 PU of same product in the store (example selling Cars and Motorcycles, I will have 2 PU for Cars and 4 Sales for them, and 1 PU for Moto and 2 Sales for it, this is the optimal layout for Car dealership atm in my opinion).

For the factories it is not that simple, since you can have up to 3 purchasing units required for manufacturing of a product, so I usually don't change the ones suggested for each product. You can change layout for Glass, Silicone, CPU/CCD and the rest of the products and semiproducts that require only 1 raw material, but the rest, go explore :D
What I can tell you is the volume of production is determined by size of factory and the level of the MU (manufacturing units), ask if you need more information on this!

The last, but the most important thing, the product market! If you open information and go to "Products" on the left side, you will be presented with the product groups, their sales, market size, filters etc. Right now, what is the most important to you is to find out what is the value of market for the product you want to produce and/or sell, per city, or globally. Leave it to "Consumer goods", but sales above it set to "All", next info set to "All Companies" and next to it to "All Cities" and select a Product group, for an example first "Apparel". What you see now below are products Blazer/Jeans/Leather jacket/Sweater, their value of global market or max sales, next pie chart of market percentage and the rest all info on local and average prices, quality, brand. If you change to any city, the data will load for it. This is the most useful tab when deciding what to produce and to have an idea how big market is for that product specifically.
The products now are tweaked a little, so you will find that the biggest markets are for Car and Desktop computer, regardless of the city/map/scenario. Also, when the pie chart for the product for the city is fully colored, that can indicate saturation of the market for that product (note: this doesn't apply to the products that are new and recently researched, since the market just started forming)

Last thing, my tip: bigger cities do have larger markets, so if the dominance is not imperative and you want to make the most profit, create factories in the beginning where the land is cheap, and send them to shops in big cities. Also, if the market for the product in specific city is lower than 2 million $, it is not worth investing in the early game (unless you are playing scenarios and domination of the product group is one of the goals).
rafaeltodero
Translation Contributor
Translation Contributor

Re: Layout efficiency and product details

Post by rafaeltodero »

nosedigger wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:48 pm Hey Andriko, here's what I learned so far

In a store, you can sell max 4 products -> 4 Purchasing and 4 Selling units, with one unit left which you can use for advertising, private labeling or additional sales unit. The most optimal layout I found and use is 3 Purchasing and 6 Sales unit - you link each of PU to two Sales, but use this only when you are selling your own products since you will be competing for each supply of product from ports and they are not reliable in the long run. Also one more thing, never have more than 2 PU of same product in the store (example selling Cars and Motorcycles, I will have 2 PU for Cars and 4 Sales for them, and 1 PU for Moto and 2 Sales for it, this is the optimal layout for Car dealership atm in my opinion).

For the factories it is not that simple, since you can have up to 3 purchasing units required for manufacturing of a product, so I usually don't change the ones suggested for each product. You can change layout for Glass, Silicone, CPU/CCD and the rest of the products and semiproducts that require only 1 raw material, but the rest, go explore :D
What I can tell you is the volume of production is determined by size of factory and the level of the MU (manufacturing units), ask if you need more information on this!

The last, but the most important thing, the product market! If you open information and go to "Products" on the left side, you will be presented with the product groups, their sales, market size, filters etc. Right now, what is the most important to you is to find out what is the value of market for the product you want to produce and/or sell, per city, or globally. Leave it to "Consumer goods", but sales above it set to "All", next info set to "All Companies" and next to it to "All Cities" and select a Product group, for an example first "Apparel". What you see now below are products Blazer/Jeans/Leather jacket/Sweater, their value of global market or max sales, next pie chart of market percentage and the rest all info on local and average prices, quality, brand. If you change to any city, the data will load for it. This is the most useful tab when deciding what to produce and to have an idea how big market is for that product specifically.
The products now are tweaked a little, so you will find that the biggest markets are for Car and Desktop computer, regardless of the city/map/scenario. Also, when the pie chart for the product for the city is fully colored, that can indicate saturation of the market for that product (note: this doesn't apply to the products that are new and recently researched, since the market just started forming)

Last thing, my tip: bigger cities do have larger markets, so if the dominance is not imperative and you want to make the most profit, create factories in the beginning where the land is cheap, and send them to shops in big cities. Also, if the market for the product in specific city is lower than 2 million $, it is not worth investing in the early game (unless you are playing scenarios and domination of the product group is one of the goals).
great, your explanation was perfect. I continue to learn from your explanation.