Talent exploit(strategy?)

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
boris

Talent exploit(strategy?)

Post by boris »

I believe that I've developed a strategy(or more likely, found an exploit) to quickly dislodge and neutralize established competitors that conduct R&D, by using the talent system. This is possible due to the AI's apparent propensity to replace researchers without regard to their salary and inability to lower talent salaries.

The conditions required to fully capitalize on this aspect of the AI's behavior are, while the game is paused:
  • 1. The save has the full talent system enabled.
  • 2. The AI corporation has R&D staff with less than 80 loyalty in a specific city, in a product segment. For example, the city Potosi and the product segment drugs.
  • 3. There are 0 drug talent that are unemployed in the city(Potosi). This can be achieved by the player corporation hiring every drug talent in the same city the AI corporation has R&D staff in.
  • 4. Your drug R&D talent salaries are high enough to ensure that they cannot be headhunted by the AI.
After the conditions are achieved while the game is paused:
  • 5. You then raise one talent's salary by a few million percent, then replace that talent by headhunting the AI's drug R&D staff(It is important to also ensure that this new talent has more than 80 loyalty). This should quickly bankrupt the AI corporation and increase your pricing power.
Just like that, cities are cleared of pesky AI competitors!

This probably isn't a viable early game strategy due to the cost of building R&D centers, but it's fun to play around with this in the late game. A fix probably isn't needed to prevent this exploit/strategy since it requires a lot of set-up.

[*]It seems that high R&D salaries are only maintained if they are engaged in a research project; your talent in step 5 needs to be active in a project, or their salary may just reset when you replace them with a new headhunted person.
[*]Raising your own R&D salaries are also useful if you want to lower your stock price for stock buybacks.
[*]I found that after talent salaries rise above about $1bn, the displayed value turns negative, then becomes 0 as you continue raising their salaries. The salary is actually still in the billions or more.
[*]This is also a quick way to bankrupt cities, if the AI corporation has enough land, and the city does not have enough money to buy back the land when the AI corporation goes bust.
[*]If you have an AI CTO, they will also try to fill R&D vacancies regardless of cost. So you may be vulnerable to going bankrupt yourself if you're not careful with steps 3 and 4.
[*]An unrelated finding is that, even when my R&D salaries are high enough to ensure 100 loyalty, my AI CTO will still raise their salaries. Which is weird.
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Re: Talent exploit(strategy?)

Post by mohmaaytah »

Worth a try but as you say the setup is quite involved. If you want to strangle R&D in a particular segment then you will need to have R&D in every city for the segment where you hoover up all the talent.

I’m intrigued as to which segments will be more profitable to manipulate like this; increased price and volume vs OPEX of running dormant R&D.
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by cantdownloadit »

if anything would probably make sense having a salary cap.

but I would agree the "exploit" doesn't really need fixing, its not something you can do by accident.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

This exploit has been fixed. Please download the latest patch v9.1.56 from https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... f=7&t=9210
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Post by mohmaaytah »

Very intrigued as to how this is blocked now.

If salary resets after staff are fired then that’s arguably a good thing in case someone overpaid their R&D staff. Basically fire and rehire.

If it creates an infinite cheap talent pool then that defeats the purpose of the relevant talent script options.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

mohmaaytah wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:46 pm Very intrigued as to how this is blocked now.

If salary resets after staff are fired then that’s arguably a good thing in case someone overpaid their R&D staff. Basically fire and rehire.

If it creates an infinite cheap talent pool then that defeats the purpose of the relevant talent script options.
With the fix, the AI will no longer headhunt talents with excessively high salaries.