denisbuzmakov

Re: Features unique and memorable in Capitalism series

Post by denisbuzmakov »

Sorry, where is 2560x1080 resolution?
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

One of my favorite moments in Capitalism Lab.
ResourceFunnyMath.png
ResourceFunnyMath.png (560.45 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Brutus wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:11 am One of my favorite moments in Capitalism Lab.

ResourceFunnyMath.png
I've forwarded this to the dev team and suggested them to change the output quantity from 3 lbs to 2 lbs.

It is best that you create a new topic for this post as it really does not fit with the topic of this thread.
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

David wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:12 am
Brutus wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:11 am One of my favorite moments in Capitalism Lab.

ResourceFunnyMath.png
I've forwarded this to the dev team and suggested them to change the output quantity from 3 lbs to 2 lbs.

It is best that you create a new topic for this post as it really does not fit with the topic of this thread.
No no, you don't understand why I made the post to begin with.

I DON'T want to see it changed. :mrgreen: (plz don't change it!)

It just highlights the fact that this is an economic simulation game with clear gameplay influences for simplicity. The fact that 1 coal and 1 iron is used to make 3 iron is just hilarious and a testament that this is a game above all else. :lol:

There's plenty of other examples in the game that reflect this where the input/outputs are not correct/realistic at all but they are perfect for gameplay balance. If you change the output to become 2 instead of 3 the balance will be thrown off in the economic portion of the input/output mechanic of the steel production. You'd need to completely rebalance the steel product in-game if you change the output that drastically. You can't just change the output to 2 like that and be done with it. :cry:

I posted this image because it IS a memorable moment for me when I realized the math didn't add up in a lot of cases but the gameplay implications were properly balanced. The confused guy image may make you think that it is false math but the underlying reasons why it is 1 + 1 = 3 is balanced gameplay wise. You only realize this when you play the game long enough and yes in a mod I changed it and it totally destroyed the balance and made steel worthless to the player so if you just change it to 2 output, plz don't break the game like that.

If you wanted to make it more realistic then you'd need to drastically change the prices and input/outputs of most raw materials. Right now default steel price is something like $2600 dollars per tonne while the real world price is $300 as a fair average for the past 30 years of real world steel prices. Aluminum is also roughly the same price as steel even though in real life it is about 3 as expensive and requires heavy material processing. Aluminum is also instantly refined in-game which makes no sense in perspective with real life where it goes through many more processes than steel does. So plz don't change anything like that just because of a funny image. The game is balanced around the current input/output.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Ok. Thanks for explaining it.
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by cantdownloadit »

if you consider it takes around 1.6 tons of iron ore and 0.8 tonnes of coal to produce one ton of steel then even an output of 2 would strictly be to high since the coal just ends up as slag.

So realistic would be 1 pound of coal, 2 pounds of ore would give something like 1.2 pounds of steel.

But then that's just new steel, most steel is recycled, so that would confuse things further.

Actually maybe a dlc focused around recycling materials might be interesting
jondonnis
Level 5 user

Post by jondonnis »

Being able to take a large chunk of your money at the beginning or mid game or even later, and doing unique things (unique as in not appear in other games) like relabelling.

I recently started looking round the markets for items that had good ratings. Buying them cheap, relabeling them as my own and selling them on at a profit. Worked well with a bottle of wine I'd found being sold by either the dock yards or one of the other AI companies.

Doing the above but having the option to store a load of it in a warehouse until the day the market runs out. Then marking your relabelled versions up high and flogging on for a decent profit.
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

jondonnis wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:52 pm Being able to take a large chunk of your money at the beginning or mid game or even later, and doing unique things (unique as in not appear in other games) like relabelling.

I recently started looking round the markets for items that had good ratings. Buying them cheap, relabeling them as my own and selling them on at a profit. Worked well with a bottle of wine I'd found being sold by either the dock yards or one of the other AI companies.

Doing the above but having the option to store a load of it in a warehouse until the day the market runs out. Then marking your relabelled versions up high and flogging on for a decent profit.
Ah shizz I never considered relabeling seaport goods. That's genius really. I always thought that relabeling was useless when using AI produced goods but seaport goods might actually do the trick and get that brand rating bonus. ;)
amsgoldsmith

Post by amsgoldsmith »

it has a memorable feature of being the most addicting game i have ever played
amsgoldsmith

Post by amsgoldsmith »

it has a memorable feature of being the most addicting game i have ever played