Airport

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
baz
Level 4 user

Airport

Post by baz »

David, Sorry this isn't a beta quesiton at all, I'm just been real nosey. :D
I noticed that the airport has a layout to it when you click on it, is this a pre beta thing and wil revert to the same blue menu as a hospital for example or could we expect something more from it in the future ;)
Awaiting your reply with anticipation and excitment :ugeek:
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Airport

Post by David »

Currently there is no plan yet to expand the airport.

You may post your ideas on this though and we will consider them.
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

I would love to be able to run an airline from it. Again not physical just been able to name an airline, and then perhaps giving it a budget. Although always keeping CAP 2 in mind it maybe hard to implement and out of sync with the game. I'll post and poll on the general discussions to see if we can come up with something.
The Airport maybe easier to implement. The more budget you give the better the aiport is, the more profit it makes.
gatwick Airport 2nd biggest airport in the UK was bought for £1.2 billion, so I have an approx cost of an airport and there and I've found an article which i'll add below regarding there income and profit.

http://www.cityam.com/latest-news/gatwi ... ket-growth

It appears that the've been investing £20 million a month and have seen an increase in there profit by 17%, and have spent £750 million so far ( wihich is the £20 million a month) with another £435 million to be spent.

So I'm thinking, You need a purchase price maybe a Billion, can be more or less. Then use the basis that the more you invest the better percentage of return. Maybe a max of 20 million investment a month and score it the same as training or like the media with 5 been the best which can change over time (10 years) if investment is reduced. As the rating diminishes so does the pecentage of profit. You maybe able to factor in something from the ecomomy or city screen, Maybe GDP if that increase it increase over the 20 % and can go as low as 5 %. The airport would only need a profit screen as it would have to make some profit, as people still fly even in the deepest of recession. SO when GDP is 10% you could make maybe 30% profit and when GDP hits 0 % you only make 5%. You wouldn't always need to invest but you could have a report maybe suggesting that it will lose a rating if no inward investment is implemented. Maybe you could float the airport as a seperate company on the stock exchange and buy other airports in other citys. Another thought, it could maybe give a boost to commercial buildings created around it, but that would require slightly different graphics for buildings as you don't normally build skyscrapers around an airport. Again I'll create a poll & post on the general discusions and see what the forum can come up with. And i'll report back to you on this thread.

Please fellow Caplab'ers, post your comments and suggestions on here if you have any.

Thanks again for getting back to me.
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

I think running an airport may be a little outside what capitalism is about- namely retail and renting

However if something was to be implemented at an airport, I would suggest something that would lower transport costs between cities
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

mwyeoh, I had it down as a business simulator whilst acquiring as much money as possible. To Quote Wiki "Capitalism is an economic system that is based on private ownership of the means of production and the creation of goods or services for profit" Thus airports are apart of that ethos as would be banks or whatever else that makes money.
It's great that if renting and retail is your cup of tea, the game allows this but it also has so much potential to offer so much more. You can play the game in so many different ways, and thats what makes it great.
To lower transport between citys is a good idea, but ships are the key for that idea.
Keep the comments comming, but I don't want this thread hijacked by discussions on what capitalism is or isn't. Please create a new thread for that discussion.
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

It is a business simulator, but we still need to be careful about going overboard with it.

The main point of this game is retail. Selling goods to consumers
Mines/Farms fir in as they are sources of primary goods
Seaports fit in as they simulate external suppliers
Commercial and residential buildings fit in as this brings in more consumers
Media companies fit in as advertising and marketing is an important part of any company

But at the moment, I do not see how ownership of an airport will help or is realistic
Nearly all airports are government owned.
Companes own airlines and move passengers around.
A game such as transport tycoon (One of my all time favorite games!) is much better for airport ownership than this one

However I am still open to suggestion and if something is a really good idea I am willing to go with it
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

Mwyeoh again I appreciate your comments as always.
However I have to ask this, did you read the definition as to what capitalism is? Not the game but the true meaning of the word?
To quote the bit that I need you to understand "goods or services" Transport is a service. I'm not mocking you; I just feel that you do not understand that fundamental bit.
I'll ask you one question; does an Airport offer a service?

Regarding the main aspect of the game, you’ve forgot to mention Stock markets, which is the biggest part of the game. As without the stock market, you'd have no start-up capital, you forgot to mention the bank, which would be your only other way of raising capital for you to buy a retail shop in the first place. Capitalism's Core is the stock market and the financial aspects of it, without these you'd own a corner shop at best.

What research have you done, to suggest that all airports are "nearly owned by governments"? My research so far is that europe has 80% corpratised airports. Obviously the goverment will always have a stake, if they go bust the goverement would have to take it over.

Back to what this thread is about.
Airports have a significant positive impact on the local economy, ie huge employers, that require lots of housing/apartments that then bring commercial and retail. If the airports were modified and adapted to be more realistic, you'd be able to use them to your advantage and thus too own one, would be an advantage. As the more apartments, the more passengers, the more passengers the more retail and commercial, the more retail and commercial the more jobs etc. All this time the airport would be making more money. It could open up Tourism to the game too.

At the end of the day, I have a poll on the general discussion, just say no. If I make a suggestion and you’re opposed to it, make a valid reason why it wouldn't work or why it would unbalance the game. Then I can work on it more.
galendeng

Post by galendeng »

I also think it should have some function in the airport item, it can't enrich the fun in this game.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

I think having the airport should have a positive effect on commercial buildings and retail stores.
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

I definitely like the idea of making use of the Airports in some way. Right now their just there taking up space.

My suggestion would be to allow the production of planes that could be sold to the Airports; with the Airports either being owned by the Government or allow users/AI to purchase airports. It would allow users to create the Boeing/Airbus of the world.