Ideas for Content Pack for Digital Age DLC - Smart Phone Industry

Digital Age DLC for Capitalism Lab

Would you be interested in the Smart Phone Content Pack?

Yes, I would buy it for $4.99.
38%
Yes, I would buy it for $3.99.
10%
Yes, I would buy it for $2.99.
10%
Yes, I would buy it for $1.99.
10%
Yes, but only if it is free.
29%
No
5%

Total votes: 21

doctergame

Re: Ideas for Content Pack for Digital Age DLC - Smart Phone Industry

Post by doctergame »

Will there be Music Streaming Platforms And Apps for your Websites like The Facebook app
williammgary1
Level 3 user

Post by williammgary1 »

doctergame wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:31 pm Will there be Music Streaming Platforms And Apps for your Websites like The Facebook app
Hmm...maybe a every 6 month-year Innovation pack.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Hello,

First post of the forum, discovering the game. I am wondering if the game allows to build an equipment provider like Ericsson Nokia or Huawei selling their antennas (2G / 3G / 4G now 5G) to Telecom operators like AT&T, Sprint or Verizon?

Thanks
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

I would like to bolt on the following to this thread as it's very similar in nature

Operating Systems for various hardware

What i'm trying to achieve is to have multiple OS for pc/laptop WINDOWS, Linux, Apple Mac O/S with separate companies using each.
I then want an O/S for mobile phones, Tablets with separate companies using Android, IOS, Windows
and Consoles having multiple O/s Sony Ps3, Nintendo, Sega, Xbox
then you could have a virtual reality os Steam, PS, Sega, octulas ect that only work on certain VR Os's that have been written for the PC O/S if that makes sense.
Basically I want to have a very active area around pc's , consoles and mobile phones. With more competition in O/S and more companies operating within this market place as they do in the real world.
I'm looking at using the MODWORLD Mod, as that is very deep within the semi products which these are, and is similar to my thinking of how this mod could work.
I would also like to see Wifi routers with O/s , and home media boxes (Sky, Virgin BT) o/s boxes which tie into the a different thread regarding use of the Telecom building

Basically I want data from o/s mobile, o/s pc, o/s wifi router, o/s Media box and hopefully o/s consoles. Future upgrade would be for cars as they have there own o/s and use data and require data.
The consoles would need games, the media boxes apps
Please read the thread below for the reasoning.
https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... =42&t=5171

I would be happy too pay for extra content but some of the work needs to be done to complete an existing DLC which is been sold and maybe charge £10 for the banking DLC to cover the cost for any extra work required for some of the other DLC's? I would like to see online Banking, credit card etc though so it would then compliment digital age DLC.
Regarding products of 700, I'm fairly flexible, I find that if to many products behave the same you just become zombie like anyway. Looking at Modworld though and the Semi side then certainly there would be a requirement to increase products, I think I've read that one of the modders was working with the Devs on some larger data sizes, so fingers crossed.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

The Digital Age DLC's data structure and interfaces are designed for supporting one ecosystem of OS and hardware. The dev team told me that they did experiment with a prototype at the early dev stage of the Digital Age DLC to encompass more than one ecosystem, namely PC software and PC games, at the same time. But the result was far from intuitive. It complicated the interfaces to a point where navigating through all types of the software and hardware had become a chore. In fact, the dev team's view is that keeping the game design elegant and accessible is every bit as important as adding new features to enrich the gaming experience.

Under this credo, we have released a mod kit allowing the community to create a mod centering around the video game industry, as you could see in the detail at https://www.capitalismlab.com/digital-a ... -game-mod/

The result is a mod of excellent quality created by a long time CapLab player: https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... =39&t=5184

In the same vein, if there are serious interests from the community for creating a Smart Phone mod, we will gladly consider releasing a new mod kit for allowing the creation of a smart phone ecosystem (multiple OS for smartphones and their app stores.) And like all other user-created mods, the mods will be freely available to the community.

James, would you be interested in trying your hands at creating such a mod. Modding is not as difficult as people may think. In fact, it could be downright straightforward if you just focus on certain types of content and not contemplate making sweeping changes to the entire game. : ) (e.g. focusing on software/hardware and leave other aspects of the game like agriculture, natural resources and etc intact.)
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

I think a Dlc or content pack just for a smart phones is not the highest in priority, especially as we need the Devs completing there current projects first, I would be happy to see development of multi O/s but for my other reasoning and not just for more products. I will go back to my post regarding telecoms to explain in more detail as you've answered the question that was the reason for this post and topic.
I have considered making a mod for a long period but I often find that there are many mods that I like and want to expand on to find a game mechanic is required or needs changing for me to achieve what it is I wanted to, in my head. Sometimes my ideas hinge on a mechanic or game change for it to work. I used to mod a lot especially for Civ but i've lost the interest in wanting to play my own game, as you know all of the info so there's no surprise, if that makes sense. I was looking into been a game developer but again I found that making a game I wanted to play kind of defeated the object as I would know how it worked, if it worked. I'm a troubleshooter at heart and always have been, Thus the amount of posts where i'm asking for changed, tweaks or questions on how to.
I'm very interested in Modworld to be honest and look forward to seeing that develop, but a lot depends on the semi products which will need changes to work, again reason for some posts. I know that playing in Semi's previously was very difficult because of the lack of depth not as in headache. I liked thumb candy aswell, this lead to the multi o/s question, Most mods cater for my requirements but I often find that that I would love to do this that, only to find it's not possible via a mod because it requires a mechanic or a tweak to work. Between thumb candy, Mod world and real world for me the mods are pretty much what I need and can easily change a mod if I need something added. But I'm less interested in products than I am seeing specific things change to bring a more real world feel to how they work. I used to go for all and every single product but I find that i'm more interested in specific industries, and Modworld does that very well. This has the hardware side of computer industry down to a T, and it's an industry I know very well, so for me i'm well catered for, Don't get me wrong I would create one yesterday if I had that urge.

This post has been around for a while now so I think we need to park it, unless some cap'ers wanna push a boost for Multi O/s and the smart phone ind.
David

Post by David »

I think a Dlc or content pack just for a smart phones is not the highest in priority, especially as we need the Devs completing there current projects first, I would be happy to see development of multi O/s but for my other reasoning and not just for more products.
I see your points.

Regarding multi OS, in fact the dev team's original vision was to support multiple OS and and the programming code supporting the mechanism was already written with basic functionality.

But as I have mentioned, the biggest hurdle has been designing an interface that is intuitive enough to navigate. Unfortunately the added layer of multiple OS would turn the gaming experience into a tedious and laborious endeavor, as I tried first hand at such a prototype back in the days when the Digital Age was still under development.

If you have any suggestion on tackling the interface design challenge, please let me know and I will forward your suggestion to the dev team.
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

Is there anyway that I can see, be able to play with that particular version so I can get an idea as to how it should, could and currently looks, works?
I have something in my head that is different to what you have seen and played with, so I need to see that interface and maybe have a online chat, using the game, so we can all be clear, as it's difficult trying to envisage something I haven't seen and explain to you, something that could lead me to the same conclusion you found, although it wasn't clear to me why for example it would be confusing.
Putting the interface to the side, is it that instead of car, wheel, You have loads of O/s types instead? Or does it overload the Products list with o/s ect ect, In software tab Does it overwhelm that area, In Digital, what changed did it make and look there in the Os info did it overwhelm the page. Is the problem that you end up with to many o/s been made by the AI.
I'm trying to understand from the context that I have now multi pc companies or console that are creating there own O/s, and even though when I create software I have many options, it's not tedious it's choice, most of which I already know before i've allocated the software.
I'm just struggling to imagine the scenario you have mentioned when you tested with how and what i'm thinking. I'm sure we are on the same track, just different stations, We just need to be at the same station at the same time :D

I think we need to remove the word Multi for now and stick to O/s choices.
The reason I say this, is that for Pc's you can have Multi O/s and can be specific to device. So Multi is there in that sense. I can call them Dos, Windows whatever. I'm not expecting the o/s to differ in anyway in that respect. You call yours Unix, mines DOS, hers is Linux.
With respect to consoles there O/s differ greatly to PC's as they are always closed systems so matter less, as one console is one o/s, and as you don't sell the o/s matter less, I really wanted a user base number from consoles for my other ideas. This would would be the same for all other devices mentioned, Ultimately if it's closed system then I just need user base, It was with smart phones and google that I wanted more variation to allow for Google to exists within the game as per real world, as there more o/s for other devices, so by it having an O/s outside of PC made sense, but then you may aswell have Apple IOS for game feel.
If you use Console thumb candy then this changes to multi o/s for Consoles. But you can't have Pc's and Consoles at the same time from what I understand working in the same way.
In the operating_systems.txt Thumb Candy uses the following, Can you add Pc' and Consoles into the below .txt. My Logic tends to come at looking at game files but I have found alot with other games that still the logic is required or doesn't understand the text. For example I could put a billion citys and a million competitors but the logic would know the max,regardless of what the script asked.

[GAME]
OS_CONSO

//----- linkages from Operating System Software Type to Hardware Product Type ------//

// When developing the OS, the player can set the OS to run on only type of hardware among the following list, or several of them in the list.
// [<OS software code>]
// <hardware item code>, <compatible hardware item code>, <whether it has local competitors or not: Local_No or Local_Yes >
//
// e.g. "NOTEBOOK, COMPUTER" means that Notebook Computers are compatible with Desktop Computers. When an OS is developed for
// Desktop Computers will be automatically be compatible with Notebook Computers.
//
// e.g. "COMPUTER, NIL, Local_No" means that local competitors will not produce desktop computers.
//
// PC computer OS can be designed to run on the following hardware

[OS_CONSO]
VIDEO_G, NIL, Local_No

I'm not trying to elongate something, just trying to explain some more logic behind my suggestion, Like I said I could be incorrect in my conclusions, leading me to want things that are not possible or don't work as intended. Like suggested.
David

Post by David »

Is there anyway that I can see, be able to play with that particular version so I can get an idea as to how it should, could and currently looks, works?
Unfortunately the prototype no longer existed. It was one of the many versions that existed during the development stage and was phased out as the development progressed.
I have something in my head that is different to what you have seen and played with, so I need to see that interface and maybe have a online chat, using the game, so we can all be clear, as it's difficult trying to envisage something I haven't seen and explain to you, something that could lead me to the same conclusion you found, although it wasn't clear to me why for example it would be confusing.
You may imagine having a game that combines the Thumb Candy mod with the standard set of software products in the base game with Digital Age DLC enabled.

Right now, the amount of information in the Digital Age DLC is manageable as we haven't received any complaints of information overload.

But with video games and the standard software set combined, there may be a need for 2 software reports, 2 digital guide, more private AI companies focusing on different OS and software types.

If smart phones and apps are to be included, it will triple that amount.

I agree that it is a noble idea to include such diversity of OS and software in a single game. And there is a chance that the interface issues could be worked out eventually. The design challenge asides, how would you suggest position this from the marketing point of view? It will require a fairly significant amount of development time and resources if the dev team figure out a way to do it feasibly. So I think it would be best to also make an attempt to lay out a plan that is commercially viable, in parallel to tackling the design challenge.
JasonLJJ
Level 3 user

Post by JasonLJJ »

Hello David

This is a great idea. I think one potential game changer would be the introduction of sharing economy - and its impact on the demand for physical goods (i.e. real estate, cars, food etc.)

I think there should be 3 categories of apps:
1) Sharing economy - I think cars and real estate demand should be negatively correlated with the # of users on an uber or "airbnb" - the revenue model should be # of users * a certain price that the app charges the users . While in the real life these apps charge a % of fee for each ride, its hard to emulate that in the game given the lack of a taxi service - like business in CapLab.

2) Social network - Similar to what we have now
3) Subscription - Similar to what we have now