Modding Question - changing the grass texture

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
Ebel

Modding Question - changing the grass texture

Post by Ebel »

Hello,

TLDR: I can't figure out how to change the default grass/ground texture in game to something more up to date and a less pixelated looking texture. I looked in the modkit files and the rest of the game files, maybe I didn't look good enough, but I can't seem to find it. I could use any help at this point.

Running version: 5.4.22 Release + DLC's(Subsidiary/DigitalAge/CityEconomicSimulation)

I used to play Capitalism 2 many years ago before it had any modding capabilities,(I even bought the game twice because my first game disk got scratched). I stopped playing it eventually, because the game became a bit dated in my opinion.

I was very happy to see all the progress that has been made with Capitalism Lab and the DLC's over the past years, combined with the modding/scripting capabilities, I decided to recently buy the game. So far I'm enjoying playing Capitalism again after many years. All the new additions, features and changes are great for replayability.

I just want to change the grass/ground textures because I think they make the game look very outdated. I was somewhat surprised this hasn't been updated yet in Capitalism Lab. It was the first thing I wanted to mod, but well, I can't find the files to change in the modkit.

Looking forward to the upcoming banking DLC I noticed being mentioned on the forums. Keep up the good work!
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Modding Question - changing the grass texture

Post by David »

We have improved the quality of the grass texture at the closest zoom level in the latest post-release beta version 5.6.00, which can be downloaded from viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5291

On a closer examination, I notice that the grass texture at the normal zoom level and the far zoom level actually looks quite decent. It is the texture at the closest zoom level that look a bit blurred, which our programmer has attempted to improve in the latest v5.6.00.

Do you think the same ? Or do you hold a different opinion about the grass texture quality at the normal zoom level and the far zoom level?
Ebel

Re: Modding Question - changing the grass texture

Post by Ebel »

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply.

I just tried the post-release beta version 5.6.00 to compare.

I see the differences. For comparison's sake:

Release Version 5.4.22: Pixelated grass, most noticeable where the grass blends from 'wet grass' to 'dry grass', but even on the wet grass I find it pixelated.

Post-Release beta version 5.6.00: Less pixelated, but far worse blending of the tiles. You can clearly see the tile lines.

These are both at zoomed in level.
It's not the only thing though, look at this transition between ocean and land in post release beta: it's terrible and again pixelated.

From your reply, I take that you are aware of what i'm trying to say, otherwise you wouldn't have attempted to improve the quality in the latest post-release beta version.

I also take from your reply that the grass/ground texture files aren't in the mod kit (which sorta was my original question). Is there any chance they can be added to the toolkit or made available to us modders so we can try and improve? Even if it's just to, say make a different looking map, i.e. desert, snow, or a seasonal texture: spring/autumn grass , etc... Let us play around with these, see what happens.

It's not the only thing I'd love to try changing up a bit. The trees also are a bit outdated in my opinion. Just look at the shadows below them:

I do think the buildings are fine, even some of the grass which is part of the buildings looks just fine ( a lot sharper, less pixelated looking). Love the new apartments!