Would like to see line item for income from technology sales

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here

Would a line item in the corporate income statement showing income from technology sales be helpful

Yes, show me Corporations' income from technology sales
89%
No, I don't want to see corporations' income from technology sales
11%

Total votes: 18

Yimmy
Level 3 user

Would like to see line item for income from technology sales

Post by Yimmy »

Include a line item on corporate income statement for technology income/sales.
Yimmy
Level 3 user

Re: Would like to see line item for income from technology sales

Post by Yimmy »

Once research advances in the middle game and later, technology sales can become a sizable source of income -- income that isn't tracked separately. A line item in the balance sheet would help show how much value ($$$$) your quality research is providing to your company's success. It would also help you to see how much of your research expenditures are being recouped as revenue.
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Post by mohmaaytah »

Would be interesting to hear if others actually sell their technology regularly. I see it as a competitive advantage and turn off all technology purchase requests in the options menu. In years of playing the game I never sold a single technology.
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by cantdownloadit »

The only time I do it is between my subsidiary's.

I don't really use it on AI as I find it unrealistic most of the time that the AI would sell what they rely on to make money, its like Nvidia selling its AI GPU tech.. unlikely to happen.
rafaeltodero
Translation Contributor
Translation Contributor

Post by rafaeltodero »

It would be really cool if, instead of selling a technology, we could have the option of licensing our technology. Therefore, for each sale made to the company requesting licensing, it would pay a percentage of the sale value or some fixed amount.
Yimmy
Level 3 user

Post by Yimmy »

mohmaaytah wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:21 am Would be interesting to hear if others actually sell their technology regularly. I see it as a competitive advantage and turn off all technology purchase requests in the options menu. In years of playing the game I never sold a single technology.
I did sell tech nearly 4 yrs ago when I created the poll. I stopped because I had no way to track income from the sales (unless I manually kept track, which I didn't).

I also view superior tech as a competitive advantage over other companies -- companies with products that will benefit from my technology when I purchase their assets and absorb them into my conglomerate. (Withholding the top tech makes them less competitive and cheaper to purchase because of undervalued products that gain immediate benefit once they become part of my empire.)

However, I don''t merge every company; selling tech to those companies doesn't truly affect my success because they are buying yesterday's tech that I have already begun researching to the next level. I have a general idea what my research expenses are; I don't know how much income I am receiving.
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by cantdownloadit »

rafaeltodero wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:04 pm It would be really cool if, instead of selling a technology, we could have the option of licensing our technology. Therefore, for each sale made to the company requesting licensing, it would pay a percentage of the sale value or some fixed amount.
I agree this would be good with this you could make a research centric company, like ARM Holdings
Yimmy
Level 3 user

Post by Yimmy »

13 yes votes. Refreshing to see if we can get more votes.
Yimmy
Level 3 user

Post by Yimmy »

16 yes votes -- 3 of them in the last three days.