Building Capacity Modifier in Mod not working anymore

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
player_rxb

Building Capacity Modifier in Mod not working anymore

Post by player_rxb »

I noticed that with the recent update of 6.5.15 and 6.5.17 still the building capacity multiplier a building receives from the mod entry is not working or rather not being used anymore.

It appears that the capacity multiplier for all firms (farms, warehouses etc) is now coming only from the script entry for the manufacturing plant capacity multiplier.
If you set the script multiplier for manufacturing to 500, the manufacturing plant is increased by 500%. THat works as intended. However, if the mod building capacity entry for warehouse for example reads 9000 you used to get 90 people working in "input". Now the game does not utilize the value anymore but rather draws it from the manufacturing script multiplier and gives you 9 people working. The same is true for farms and retail stores.

Also the multiplier of manufacturing plant capacity is now limited by the script multiplier meaning if you put a higher value in the capacity value in the building file of manufacturing plant, it is not being used anymore, but the game limits capacity by the script value only. For manufacturing it does not hurt as much, as the maximum you can increase capacity with the mod building entries is maybe 10x. With warehouses and farms it hurts a lot more however, because you could increase by 50x and more.

I noticed the effect for the first time after I updated the Cap.exe to the new version and afterwards my farm capacity just decreased all of a sudden

The result is rather unpleasant for warehouses as they lose all utility for me now as a balancer between several high capacity factories. The 500% increased factories now produce more than the warehouses can handle in their input- making them useless as balancers.

I tend to use Piemarios mod, but the effect is independent of the type of mod used.

A great solution would be to have a script entry to increase capacity of farms, warehouses, mines, retail etc seperately. In order for it to be useful however, the max increase would need to allow for multipliers up to 5000% - at least for warehouses. A factory increase of up to 1000% would also be great as that was the last maximum when you used the mod bulding capacity entries.

as a side note, what the team has done with the game is really incredible. After 25 years of playing capitalism, it is still my favorite game.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Building Capacity Modifier in Mod not working anymore

Post by David »

player_rxb wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:03 am However, if the mod building capacity entry for warehouse for example reads 9000 you used to get 90 people working in "input". Now the game does not utilize the value anymore but rather draws it from the manufacturing script multiplier and gives you 9 people working. The same is true for farms and retail stores.
1) We will investigate the problem.

Could you please provide us with your MOD file as the RealWorld MOD does not have any custom warehouses?

You may provide us with your mod file by posting it here on the forum as a ZIP file attachment or emailing the file to us at info@enlight.com.

If the file is too large for attachment, you may check out this post about how to send us large files: https://www.enlight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2473

-------------------------------------------------------------

2) Were you using City Economic Simulation (CES) DLC when you tested it?

In the vanilla game with CES DLC enabled, each Input unit in a medium sized warehouse employs 2 workers. Its Capacity value in the database is 100.

To get 90 people working in an input unit, you will have to set the Capacity value to 45 times (90/2 = 45) of 100 = 4500.

I just asked the programmer and was told that the game always (in all versions, including 6.x , 5.x and etc) cap the Capacity Value to a maximum of 999 after all multiplying effects have been applied, so it should not be possible for you to see 90 workers in an Input unit.

To verify this, you may download the old version v6.4.19 from: https://caplab.b-cdn.net/Capitalism_Lab ... _V6419.exe to test.

Please let me know your test result and if there is indeed a difference between v6.4.x and v6.5.x on this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as a side note, what the team has done with the game is really incredible. After 25 years of playing capitalism, it is still my favorite game.
Thanks for your kind words. Which gameplay style is your favorite in CapLab? Some players wrote that they enjoyed the most the early struggle stage in the game, having to overcome all sorts of obstacles and deal with cash flow crises constantly as a startup. And some players enjoy the freedom to build a sprawling business empire extending its reach to as many industries as they wish.
player_rxb

Post by player_rxb »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I sent an email with a link for download of the mod (11.34) most current version of Realworld.
I tested the capacity with different versions. The one you provided being 6.4 and a 6.5.09 version I found on the site and with all these you can adjust the capacity of all building types. If you set warehouse capacity to 9000 you have 90 people in input - which is great. At 9000 capacity a farm can have 360 people at crop growing. This provides us with great modding capacity especially for a mod like realworld where you need high resource output.

The building mod capacity number allows for 4 digits - so max 9999% of capacity.
However, in previous versions this can lead to bugs / overflows with the manufacturing unit so I tend to not maximise it. It used to create a crash when setting up a software company with the versions about 12 months ago. Due to that I did not experiment much with maximising the manufacturing multiplier. For warehouse, retail and farm however, increasing to 9000 has never resulted in a bug for me, so it should be save to allow it.

You asked for my favorite gameplay style:

Its mixed and depends on the circumstance. I very much prefer the early struggle right now. Especially with advanced start of the AI as this is the real challenge of the game.
However, in the past (mainly with older versions of Capitalism) I really enjoyed the late game where the challenge was to set up your supply chain in a way that you could produce the cheapest way possible to beat the competition. However with a mod like Realworld and the general high demand of items, it ends up being way too much about cloning factories. My hope is that by Increasig the capacity multiplier we can have options to create very large scale factories, warehouses etc so we can cover demand with very few buildings and put the focus on selecting the adequate size and supply chain to compete.

I believe it to be a great idea to open up the game and the variables more to modders to create new circumstances and play types
David

Post by David »

We have just released the new patch v6.5.18 fixing this issue. 

Please download it from:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7798
player_rxb

Post by player_rxb »

Thank you for being so fast in responding to the bug posts. It is actually quite unique how well supported this game still is. After so many years it still feels fresh.

When playing with the capacity of buildings I noticed that the capacity of mines cannot be increased! You can actually add a larger mine- but the actual output of the larger mine does not increase compared to the regular mine.

I modded a game where I made all resources to be mined and added different size mines. I think I actually used the mod I sent you last time. The number of workers gets increased and your costs scale accordingly but the actual output or mining rate is not affected by the amount of workers. This is really unfortunate as mines are the NO.1 limiting factor in for example Piemarios RealWorld Mod as it is impossible to have sufficient resources for production. It would be great if you guys could look into that.

BTW
In my personal opinion, I would actually rather have all minirals,Timber, Oil etc. be mined by the same building but therefore have different size options available. Or, even better, keep the 3 different buildings but add the capacity modifier at building level as I mentioned in a different post which would be amazing for gameplay purposes as it would totally eliminate the need to copy buildings and shift the attention to proper planning and competition. THANKS!
David

Post by David »

Please send me your mod file with the modified mines and I will look into it.