is there a better (or any) source of information for production/consumption/processing etc?

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
whiskiz
Level 2 user

is there a better (or any) source of information for production/consumption/processing etc?

Post by whiskiz »

i'm talking more than just orange and yellow supply and demand bars, of which only (generally) inform you of production and consumption after infrastructure has been built. the problem being it's extremely costly to potentially change over squares and upsize/downsize buildings production/consumption on the fly, after the fact.

is there a way to see how many units of something are being produced from a square (like beef production), can be held or processed on a square (like an inventory or sales square) and is being supplied by other people? (a neutral seaport product or competitor product)

for "real world" examples:

how many processing squares can one livestock square handle? is it just 1:1 cattle to processing? then is it the same for every product produced on a farm? does it change from farms to factories or otherwise?

how much of a product is being supplied at the seaports? (to know how much sales infrastructure it can support, beforehand)

is that amount of supply different for each product at the seaport, or is there one set supply rate for everything coming in from the neutral party? does that supply rate from seaports vary as the game goes or stays the same?

products are all different sizes and so the number of units being made/traded etc for most of them vastly differs - so how to tell on the fly what the most profitable products to sell would be after factoring in distance cost, sales cost, unit size and storage/process/sales capacity?

then, you have training and upgrading of the purchasing/sales etc squares, to throw a wrench into any sort of idea of things you thought you might've had

the game prides itself on being realistic, but the only information i see on input/output or production/consumption are the vague yellow and orange bar - so you just randomly build infrastructure and work it out from there, which isn't very realistic

in real life you go to build a new factory for production and you'll want to know exactly how many units of something it's capable of producing, per day? per week? per month? or whatever measurements you want to work off, then you'll see how many units your retail stores are capable of moving etc and see if you can adjust accordingly

most games like say Factorio, Satisfactory or Anno has a time to produce or consume at each point of a process. those times obviously vary wildly and you need to do some calculation but the base numbers are there to work off. The base numbers are always there to work off.

am i missing something? is there some way to get better, proper information on this? Am i missing something on the UI?

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by whiskiz on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CapitalismLabStory
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: is there a better and more informing source of information for production, consumption, processing, storage etc?

Post by CapitalismLabStory »

I remember someone else asked this too. I don't think there is a clear cut one.
If you want to calculate you might have to manually do it.

Click on a unit and you will see the quantity there. So purchasing has a quantity, sales has a quantity and that may guide you to give you an indication of how much quantity is being processed and you could probably check for how long to get an estimate.

Another one is to check the products tab and select quantity sold at the bottom to see the market's total quantity Vs the default size of the market in $.
whiskiz
Level 2 user

Re: is there a better and more informing source of information for production, consumption, processing, storage etc?

Post by whiskiz »

just like the supply/demand bars you can indeed see the quantity of a stock on a square after the fact, but can still only look at it to get a very rough idea of things

it'd be nice (if not realistic) if say the products on the product page had a weight displayed, then the squares had a max weight capacity on them (while also displaying info about increases of stats on level ups) as well as maybe a processing time for manufacturing, sales, purchasing from other places etc

so for example say you have a level 1 purchasing square in your factory, that you're getting ready to import a raw material with to begin producing something - which can purchase up to 100,000kg of things a month (also is there an option to use kg/metric system like the rest of the world? :P)

the supplier of said raw material has a full sales bin of 200,000kg, but only 1 manufacturing square connected to it for a production rate of 75,000kg a month

you can then deduce that you only need 1 material purchasing square (100,000kg) which will be fully covered for a couple months (200,00kg full bin) and will then be more than enough to meet the supply (75,000kg) - clearly, exactly and beforehand

then your manufacturing of that raw material you're getting in, manufactures at the base manufacturing square rate of 75,000kg also, of currently tvs which are 5kg each making 5000 units produced per month

then is the current delivery fees, quality, brand, pricing worth the production of 5000 units of tvs a month? how many squares of purchasing and sales in your retail store(s) does that equal out to?

etc. this also adds more depth for free, to the realistic capitalism simulation game

and for those that don't want to go into such detail? that think it's a bit nitty gritty? the vague supply/demand bars are still there

now i know i'm definitely not Einstein and that the devs haven't done this because they don't know how, but i feel like it's a pretty important part of these types of games and so still felt the need to express my concern over it and provide examples of how possible it is, for the record

odd that a simulation like this is so vague, with no other option

Edit: Capitalism 3 with improved data and simulation when? :P
Last edited by whiskiz on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CapitalismLabStory
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Haha believe me you aren't the only one that wants this 😂

I remember seeing a post earlier with someone doing caluclations also. Scan the forum you might find it 😂

The finance aspect and this aspect definitely could do better in terms of the way it is done.

For now you can always make 1 factory and see how it goes. I find that warehouses are an easier way to gauge supply and demand as it gives you the overall supply and demand from everywhere.

So I would suggest using warehouses and then keep an eye there :)
whiskiz
Level 2 user

Post by whiskiz »

thanks for the idea, warehouses will help with current stock levels at least

that won't inform me how much supply of products seaports have, if those supplies amounts differ between products or seaports, if those amounts then change over time

or how many livestock per manufacturer squares, if those change per product, if all crop squares all have same output or not, how many sales squares per manufacturer squares, exactly how things scale up with each level higher of each square of each different area, etc

but is better than nothing

with these kinda games though i'm a pretty meticulous so player so i'm not sure if i'm going to be handle such lack of information haha, OCD will be triggered hardcore and will end up busting a vein
CapitalismLabStory
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: is there a better (or any) source of information for production/consumption/processing etc?

Haha i get you, the game is very business-y but at times lacks those details.

For seaports you just need to scan everyone of them manually and see them.

Seaports supply isn't very reliable unless you end up setting them as unlimited as you will have shortages after 2 or so large factories (using 1 purchase unit).

Seaports also tend to change products over time (I think every 1-2 years) -> never paid attention to how often

Again you can do it manually but to be honest it is too much work. I just end up overproducing always and it is fine because the profits cover quite well. Like I have a cotton large farm with like maybe 10-15% usage lol (estimate from the demand)... I don't mind because I am making millions at the end product side. When it comes to raw materials I prefer overproduction than less in the game.

The level ups I never really checked either but I assume it helps as you progress in the game and get more market share. Think of this as a pre-system era lol

If you want you could always note these details down and post it somewhere (happy to have you write it up on my site?). But tbh the effort is not worth the reward personally
whiskiz
Level 2 user

Re: is there a better (or any) source of information for production/consumption/processing etc?

Post by whiskiz »

yeah definitely not worth - on such an old game

i would on a newer version, say Capitalism 3 :P

but then you'd hope a new version would have the basics of a logistics sim
CapitalismLabStory
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Definitely and even the financial aspects because the most annoying part is seeing a firm at loss when it's because of advertising. I understand maybe at the start but when you even get a CMO then it should become a corporate expense or something 😂
pookar
Level 3 user

Post by pookar »

CapitalismLabStory wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:29 pm Haha i get you, the game is very business-y but at times lacks those details.

For seaports you just need to scan everyone of them manually and see them.

Seaports supply isn't very reliable unless you end up setting them as unlimited as you will have shortages after 2 or so large factories (using 1 purchase unit).

Seaports also tend to change products over time (I think every 1-2 years) -> never paid attention to how often

Again you can do it manually but to be honest it is too much work. I just end up overproducing always and it is fine because the profits cover quite well. Like I have a cotton large farm with like maybe 10-15% usage lol (estimate from the demand)... I don't mind because I am making millions at the end product side. When it comes to raw materials I prefer overproduction than less in the game.

The level ups I never really checked either but I assume it helps as you progress in the game and get more market share. Think of this as a pre-system era lol

If you want you could always note these details down and post it somewhere (happy to have you write it up on my site?). But tbh the effort is not worth the reward personally
This Quote is Interesting.
When it comes to raw materials I prefer overproduction than less in the game.
But now i am stop to play micro manage all the aspect of the game operating activity, its take a lot of time. I like to play all the operational activity manage by Subsidiary, not all the Subs Company have a good performance, i just make the trigger and analyzing their growth.

Like an Apparel Company, if in the mid year the company revenue is decreasing, is because the lack of raw material like cotton, wool, cashmere and ect. So my trigger is just to build some farm to fulfil the production. Now i am so happy with new feature Duplicate Firm, is very helpfull to manage supply chain.
CapitalismLabStory
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

That's an interesting point, yes I do that too but it's usually down the line when I have demand but supply isn't working. So I scan from the top to bottom to see where the bottleneck is.

Reason why I like to overproduce raw materials is because as I grow and usually I like playing with many cities, duplicating factories just ends up with more pressure and that means as I grow and expand I need to also grow raw materials. I already know I am aiming to eat the market so I prepare it beforehand. Plus I tend to expand very quickly, by pausing the game I will basically build up an entire supply chain with 1 retail store in each city then continue (when I have money). So it's just easier for me that way.

Plus raw materials always have another use (maybe not for Gold) but generally you can always have a lot of raw materials because you can then expand elsewhere.

I am not very good with subsidiaries yet, never did much but I want to learn that aspect. Any tips?