What is going on with Market Share in this picture?

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
hermanjnr

What is going on with Market Share in this picture?

Post by hermanjnr »

Hi all, first post here. Nice to join this community for a great business strategy game :)
I have played Capitalism 2 for quite some time and recently upgraded to Lab.

However, I have been quite confused by the "Food and Beverage domination" scenario the game starts you with, because I'm seeing some very odd market share behaviour that I don't recall from Cap2. I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if it's intentional and I'm doing something wrong?

See the below pic:

Here I'm selling Frozen Chicken. I'm doing so at a Quality of nearly twice the competitor, a price that is substantially cheaper, I have strong branding and customer awareness (versus no brand for the competitor at all) and I have an equal amount of retail coverage (2 stores each in expensive high customer traffic areas).

Yet I can speed up the game and I only ever get a tiny market share for months or even years while this competitor remains selling huge volume of inferior + more expensive product. If I match their price or overall value I totally lose the market share!
How does this work exactly?

Any insight would be appreciated on this one :)
hermanjnr

Re: What is going on with Market Share in this picture?

Post by hermanjnr »

I figured this out. For anyone else new to CapLab who finds this confusing, it's simply because the markets seem larger now and my farms were not producing enough supply for the demand.
Sorry for such a simple question/mistake. Still learning the new mechanics! :P