English Language Text Files

This forum is for those of you who are interested in localizing the game text in Capitalism Lab into your native language on your own
foxtrotf
Level 2 user

English Language Text Files

Post by foxtrotf »

Hello guys! Could you please how can I extract original English Language files?
I want to have English UI, with only tootips translated, I guess only (help.txt)
torajiro
Translation Contributor
Translation Contributor

Re: English Language Text Files

Post by torajiro »

I am a Japanese translator.
You want to make an English version with only the tooltips translated?
You can just translate help.txt and gmhelp.txt.

But that may not be enough to translate all tooltips.
To complement it, you need to create a "translate.txt" file with the English text and the translated text.

There is probably no way to extract all English text file.
(If you have no need for translate.txt, you do not need to read this bottom.)
As for Japanese, I transcribed the English on the game screen directly into a text file.
I think I also used OCR software.
foxtrotf
Level 2 user

Post by foxtrotf »

Thank you torajiro for the Help!
Now I start to understand... The problem is, that there is already translation, but a lot of UI labels, captions and titles are way too long, so they are not fitting the screen. This is the one of the reasons, why I'm decided to make some modification to existing translation. Just for myself to play with english UI and only tooltips translated.
I left only as you mention help.txt and gm_help.txt, but also t_game.txt, as it is, how I understand is essential, without it I'm unable to select language in options. But a lot of such long label/captions are in t_game.txt and translate.txt, that why I asked about english version, because I just don't know how not to override them and config properly.
torajiro
Translation Contributor
Translation Contributor

Post by torajiro »

foxtrotf wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:51 pm Thank you torajiro for the Help!
Now I start to understand... The problem is, that there is already translation, but a lot of UI labels, captions and titles are way too long, so they are not fitting the screen. This is the one of the reasons, why I'm decided to make some modification to existing translation. Just for myself to play with english UI and only tooltips translated.
Oh, by the way, the English version of [gm_help,help,t_basic,t_game] is in the [text folder].

Okay, I understand your situation.
So you have a translated file in some language, but you are trying to fix it because you are concerned about "the text not fitting on the screen.
This is a problem that applies to any language. (This includes Japanese, of course.).
So you need to translate while keeping track of "the number of characters that will fit on the screen," for example, how many characters for a UI label, how many characters for a caption, how many characters for a title, and so on.
That's how I did it.
Then you need to abbreviate the text so that it fits within that number of characters.

For long labels and captions, I think the only way is for you to check and correct them on the game screen, or create a new translation file.
If I had to correct the translation, I would just take a screenshot of the location, save the image file, and do it all at once when I had the energy to do it.
foxtrotf wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:51 pm I left only as you mention help.txt and gm_help.txt, but also t_game.txt, as it is, how I understand is essential, without it I'm unable to select language in options.

So t_game.txt is required? This is new to me. Then I looked it up.
The minimum contents of t_game.txt is only this 3470 and 3471.

[3470]<LAN1>The translations in Capitalism Lab are made by you, the players of the game. Thank you so much for your assistance.|
[3471]<LAN2>Please note that some languages are partially translated and you may see a mix of English and translated text in the game.|

-----

If you want to have the English version of the UI but translate only the tooltips, you will need to
1. translated help.txt
2. translated gm_help.txt
3. t_game.txt containing 3470 and 3471 (or t_game.txt in the text folder)
With only these, I think it will be possible.

Please let me know if there is any place where you have not communicated something well.
foxtrotf
Level 2 user

Post by foxtrotf »

torajiro, Thank you so much for the help! I took files from \text folder and combined with existed ones and everything is Ok now! Also version with only [3470], [3471] also working good. As for the long labels, captions I already started process of abbreviation and shorten them. I screenshoted you answers to keep them in my info folder for further instruction :) Thank you, and Have a Good Day!